Jim_Iain - Summit Live Post B3B Greenland / Iceland / Canada Aug 7, 19 and 31, 2022

Jim_Iain

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

This will be our second attempt at our first  B3B.   Earlier this year, we had to cut our vacation short because  we tested positive on the last day of the 2nd leg.   We missed the Norwegian Fjords but this cruise may make up for it.

Ready to read all about Jim and Iain's next big adventure.  

Have a great trip!!!

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We’ll be in an Aqua cabin and have to say we are looking forward to checking out those steam rooms on some of those forecasted chilly days! Also looking forward to the Aqua walk-in showers. When we were recently in a S1 cabin on the Constellation, I swore the tub walls were 24” to climb over to take a shower! 😁

While it will be week before we get to see the CS (not seen it since the Revolution).  The Tubs in the CS on M-Class ships are a feet even for me at 6' tall.   You take your life in your hands every time you use it.  I've never measured it but can see it is the highest of any I've been in.        Just be careful.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

FOLLOWING FOLLOWING FOLLOWING!

So excited to b following another Jim and Ian sail. Wish you the best and a very healthy cruise. Thank you for taking us along. Bon Voyage!

My friend is returning from her Iceland/Greenland cruise on Thursday. She is not a reviewer and person of few words, so I can never find out the fun facts. She mentioned it was freezing cold. Just an FYI to pack some warms.

I think we have it covered including long johns, gloves, scarves and medium weight puffers.   I have been told the layered approach is best as temperatures can vary greatly during the day.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mhoffrob said:

Jim, have you gotten a library card and installed Libby or Hoopla or CloudLIbrary in preparation for this trip?

Yes I did renew my Library Card at two local libraries.  Thanks for the great recommendations.   I've been using Hoopla quite a bit and much more convenient than i ever imaged.   I haven't yet looked at Libby or Cloud Library. 

There are so many resources at the library it's incredible to re-introduce myself.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

While it will be week before we get to see the CS (not seen it since the Revolution).  The Tubs in the CS on M-Class ships are a feet even for me at 6' tall.   You take your life in your hands every time you use it.  I've never measured it but can see it is the highest of any I've been in.        Just be careful.

I just managed to upgrade my SS to a RS on both my fall Summit cruises in order to avoid that damn tub.  Sorry for those who had to cancel, but I was grateful for the alert from my roll call buddy about availability.  Those tubs are an accident waiting to happen!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have a number of tours on the Canadian portion planned.   In Montreal I booked a guide from Tours by Locals about 6 months ago.  I think I have a combination of CC member tours and Ships tours.

Montreal!  My home town.  Old Montreal is very walkable.  It’s very lively right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We started planning this trip around a year ago.   I initially made refundable deposits as the ship was already sold out except for Veranda's.   I was told by my agent to go ahead and book and waitlist for Aqua and if you get Aqua to waitlist for SkySuite etc.    Took 4 months checking daily before we were able to snag Aqua Class Cabins and another 2 before we got Sky Suites. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I just managed to upgrade my SS to a RS on both my fall Summit cruises in order to avoid that damn tub.  Sorry for those who had to cancel, but I was grateful for the alert from my roll call buddy about availability.  Those tubs are an accident waiting to happen!

I'm sure you will love the RS.   I just wish they had Murano on Summit.

The roll call buddies are probably the best sources around.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bunnyette said:

Montreal!  My home town.  Old Montreal is very walkable.  It’s very lively right now.

Looking forward to Montreal.   The guide is starting out with a walking tour and then taking off by car to visit the areas outside the City.     I'm so excited to see it again after so many years.  

• Like 2

Cruise 1 is an East Bound TransAtlantic starting at Port Liberty on on August 7 and arrivig Reykjavik, Iceland on August 19th.

Itinerary -    

CAPE LIBERTY, NJ (NY METRO)

HALIFAX, NOVA SCOTIA

ST. JOHN'S, NEWFOUNDLAND

QAQORTOQ, GREENLAND

PRINS CHRISTIAN SUND (CRUISE)

AKUREYRI, ICELAND

ISAFJORDUR, ICELAND

REYKJAVIK, ICELAND

image.png.aed489de3e2cafbcc0246aa7eda5edb3.png

image.png

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 10

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

8/3/2022

I wanted to say that all are welcome and I really enjoy when others either on the cruise jump in and help out answering questions as well as recommendations.   The Cruise Critic family has become very important to me and it never amazes me what I learn from fellow members. 

Thanks for being her for me and I hope I can give back as much as I receive.

ON THE ROAD AGAIN.  oops I meant to say on the ocean again.

hope ya have a great time.  Your threads are always fun and interesting

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

The guide is taking you outside Montreal (off the island)?  To see what?

To be honest I don't know.    I often tell them we would like to see things that aren't the normal tourist sites.    We have always been pleasantly surprised by what they choose.   Normally places that locals go to.  

We specifically tell them we aren't into churches unless they are something spectacular like Sagrada de Familia  or Notre Dame

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

To be honest I don't know.    I often tell them we would like to see things that aren't the normal tourist sites.    We have always been pleasantly surprised by what they choose.   Normally places that locals go to.  

I'm sure the guide has a few unusual things in mind and you'll enjoy yourself.  If you go anywhere promising 'Danseuses' be prepared to tip generously.

• Haha 2

One of the first things I always do is start shopping for Air.   Iain only has one requirement -  It has to be either Business Class or First Class if longer than a 2 hour flight.    I have to agree that it makes for a more flight.  

My go to place for shopping (not buying) is Flights.Google.Com   

I set up alerts at track them until they recommend you purchase.   Many think that air fares are stable but they change almost daily and Google allows you to set up alerts.

Here's an example of the variation. I was lucky to grab a $525 fare on a non-stop out of San Francisco but was watching the rate from San Jose in hope of getting a better deal.  

Air Rates.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Really looking forward to following your adventures as our November cruise inches closer and closer!  Wishing you and Iain good health and fun!

Side note:   I plan to be back in the office next week (Apple - 410 N Mary).  I guess I will have to wait a while to hope I catch you walking by on your daily walk 😀

Hey Jim, thanks for doing another live review. We’ll be joining you on the Iceland to Boston leg. We’re the family traveling with two teenage boys. We have a corner FV plus an inside cabin for the kids, so hoping the weather permits some use of our balcony. I suspect there won’t be many kids on this sailing. Am very interested in the first leg of your journey given that it’s basically our own trip in reverse. Safe travels. -Georgina

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yes I did renew my Library Card at two local libraries.  Thanks for the great recommendations.   I've been using Hoopla quite a bit and much more convenient than i ever imaged.   I haven't yet looked at Libby or Cloud Library. 

There are so many resources at the library it's incredible to re-introduce myself.

Glad to know Hoopla worked out for you.

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I can't wait. 

We are flying in a day early just to make sure there are no airline hick ups.  Haven't yet decided if we are going to go into NYC on Saturday or possibly take the train to Philly. 

Ifs pretty easy to get to nyc from Newark the most likely place to stay near the port.  Check Trinity Reservations for their deals that include transportation.  They are normally round trip, but you may find a one way.   They include one of the Hiltons, at least, or did. 

Following! Jim - did I read this right - you had a second bout of COVID?  I agree - we have to get to the point where we treat this like the flu.

Visited same ports in Iceland in June. I think I got COVID in Reykjavik ☹️, golden circle tour with Viator and a packed bus. Isafjordur is tiny.

• Like 1

Hi Jim!

Glad to follow along with your adventures yet again!  We will be on the Summit later this fall for the NE/Canada cruise and then on Jewel of the Seas September 2023 Greenland/Iceland, so I will be interested to see what you do in all the ports.  We were on the Summit in 2019 for the fall NE/Canada cruise and so happy to be able to do it yet again.  One of my favs for sure.  

Curious too....did you get covid again?