Perfect Day - Coco Cay Beaches - Disappointed

I was on the 7/25/2022 Inde of Seas sailing to Bahamas.  Our Stop at Perfect Day left me a little disappointed. I had been hearing over the last 2 years how they were building it up, but I was not impressed. I found out as we were leaving Perfect Day that there are actually 3 beaches on Perfect Day, that I was unaware of, Chill Island, South Beach & Harbor Beach.  We stayed on Chill Island which was full of seaweed & the ocean floor was very rocky.  Should we have stayed perhaps at either South Beach or Harbor Beach for a better Experience?  Also, was their a community free pool at Perfect Day that we could have went to, I didn't see one?

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, pattycake08 said:

I was on the 7/25/2022 Inde of Seas sailing to Bahamas.  Our Stop at Perfect Day left me a little disappointed. I had been hearing over the last 2 years how they were building it up, but I was not impressed. I found out as we were leaving Perfect Day that there are actually 3 beaches on Perfect Day, that I was unaware of, Chill Island, South Beach & Harbor Beach.  We stayed on Chill Island which was full of seaweed & the ocean floor was very rocky.  Should we have stayed perhaps at either South Beach or Harbor Beach for a better Experience?  Also, was their a community free pool at Perfect Day that we could have went to, I didn't see one?

South Beach would have been your bet and their is a nice free pool with music, bar service, food nearby, etc. Games are situated around the island as well. Did they give you a map the night before?

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, pattycake08 said:

No Map was provided. I usually consult Cruise Critic on such matters, but had no idea that there were multiple beaches. Thank you for the info will put in my hat for next time.

You've been on CC for two dozen years and didn't do research on a port stop?  Then complain because you weren't happy with what you stumbled upon?  

I do wish a map of PD would have been included with our Compasses the night before, but I think there was one on the App.  I also wish they had maps posted at various points on the island.

That being said, I actually could have used another day.  I went back to the ship about two hours before all aboard, mainly because I was tired.  There was so much more I wanted to see and do, but simply couldn't handle it. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, pattycake08 said:

Too bad you did not use the pool. It is absolutely glorious with lounge chairs that are in shallow water, a swim up full bar and one end of the pool as a beach entry. The pool is so large each end has its own zip code.

Edited by coffeebean
  • Like 5

There's a map in the app and I have no idea how you didn't find the pool there... it's the largest pool in the Caribbean!

Sorry you had a bad time. We went on an Indy B2B just before your cruise and getting to go to Cococay twice was one of the reasons. We absolutely love it there! Wife goes snorkeling on Chill Island 1st thing and has never complained about the beach. She even saw a shark and a mommy/baby sting ray last month. Then we spend the rest of the day by the pool using our diamond vouchers for drinks and making numerous food runs as we absolutely love the included food there.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, pattycake08 said:

No Map was provided. I usually consult Cruise Critic on such matters, but had no idea that there were multiple beaches. Thank you for the info will put in my hat for next time.

Maps are provided.  We've been there three times since Nov and they hand out maps as you get to the end of the pier where the paths diverge. I have a couple somewhere as we only took it twice.  So, they don't give them out on the ship, but they do give them out on the island.

Edited by BND
  • Like 9

We had this port stop on Symphony in late Feb. 2020, just before everything shut down.  It was the best private island experience I've had and beats Labadee by a mile.  South Beach was the nicest part of the island. Since it's further away from the pier, fewer people tend to trek all that way, making it quieter.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

There's a map in the app and I have no idea how you didn't find the pool there... it's the largest pool in the Caribbean!

Sorry you had a bad time. We went on an Indy B2B just before your cruise and getting to go to Cococay twice was one of the reasons. We absolutely love it there! Wife goes snorkeling on Chill Island 1st thing and has never complained about the beach. She even saw a shark and a mommy/baby sting ray last month. Then we spend the rest of the day by the pool using our diamond vouchers for drinks and making numerous food runs as we absolutely love the included food there.

That shark swam about a foot from me in May and I didn’t even know it until my wife yelled over to me.  Seems to hang out there a lot I heard.  

5 minutes ago, topnole said:

That shark swam about a foot from me in May and I didn’t even know it until my wife yelled over to me.  Seems to hang out there a lot I heard.  

Yeah, seems to be a pretty common siting. My wife concluded it was a nurse shark.

We were also there in late May in an OTW cabana and our attendant told us in advance that lemon sharks are often in that area... sure enough my wife saw one of those that day.

Cocoa Cay is one of our favorite ports!

A little research or just by asking questions could have provided you with a whole different experience.

Maps are provided and the tram drivers tell you about every stop….

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, BND said:

Maps are provided.  We've been there three times since Nov and they hand out maps as you get to the end of the pier where the paths diverge. I have a couple somewhere as we only took it twice.  So, they don't give them out on the ship, but they do give them out on the island.

For the record, no one handed us anything.  

9 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Yeah, seems to be a pretty common siting. My wife concluded it was a nurse shark.

We were also there in late May in an OTW cabana and our attendant told us in advance that lemon sharks are often in that area... sure enough my wife saw one of those that day.

That’s what swam up to me, a lemon shark.  The workers told us it was a lemon.  We were at breezy bay at the beach part nearest the bar area.  Our kids were loving seeing the shark, sting rays, many types of fish, crabs near the rocks, etc..   Great day, but we also never got a map onboard or on the island.  Must be hit and miss.  

We have been there 6 times and every time that we went there are signs everywhere and many RCL employees there to answer any questions.  I am sorry that you didn’t have a great time, we have always enjoyed our time there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, topnole said:

That’s what swam up to me, a lemon shark.  The workers told us it was a lemon.  We were at breezy bay at the beach part nearest the bar area.  Our kids were loving seeing the shark, sting rays, many types of fish, crabs near the rocks, etc..   Great day, but we also never got a map onboard or on the island.  Must be hit and miss.  

When she goes snorkeling I'm usually under an umbrella having my first frozen drink of the day, lol, so I can't vouch for either shark. She said they looked very different from each other and googled what sharks can be found in the Bahamas.

And on that note, I'll go back to trying to convince her to take a few days off work next month so we can hop back on Indy for my birthday! 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pattycake08 said:

I hope you are not actually serious with this post?  I don't understand how you did not see all the huge maps, and walkways.  Did you just go straight to a beach and never move?  Pretty sure you have to pass the giant pool, all the bars, and other areas if you had walked around a little.  You definitely missed the entire island by not looking at signs, or walking around.

Side note, seaweed and rocks are part of nature.......the swimming pool would have been good for you.

• Like 13

For those of you that snorkeled, where is the best place?  I didn’t realize you could snorkel from the shore there.  Now I’m really excited.  We will be there on Sunday. 

We also rented jet skis. I am hoping they let our 16 year old drive.  He was 15 when I booked. 

2 hours ago, pattycake08 said:

There is literally a giant map board at the island end of the pier. It’s the first thing you see when you step on land. Could you not generally tell from where you were that the island was a lot bigger than that area? 

If you were at chill island (it’s a bit unclear from your post as you listed CI as both where you were and one of 3 beaches you didn’t know about) then you had to have walked past harbour beach. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

When she goes snorkeling I'm usually under an umbrella having my first frozen drink of the day, lol, so I can't vouch for either shark. She said they looked very different from each other and googled what sharks can be found in the Bahamas.

And on that note, I'll go back to trying to convince her to take a few days off work next month so we can hop back on Indy for my birthday! 🤣

Oh.  Nurse sharks are easy to identify and they are pretty much harmless.  Lemon sharks on the other hand, I wouldn’t want one getting too curious and taking a bite to see what something was.  They aren’t exactly known for being aggressive, but they are still a quick shark and could do a little damage if they got the urge (highly unlikely they would).  The one near me was probably a 4 footer.  He seems to roam the area by the docks and boats a lot.  Must have a consistent source of food in the area.  

• Like 1

We were there in April - not sure how you could miss the pool.  There were maps and signs everywhere.  Even had a map left in our room.  I really don't understand how you could not have seen any of this.  Also a ton of RC employees.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pattycake08 said:

You can get maps anywhere on the internet...should have done your research BEFORE you went.  Sorry.  Many posts about the island here on Ports pages too.  Due diligence.  Also lots of drone footage of the entire island on You Tube and posted here as well.

Edited by BecciBoo