Permanent Cutbacks on Carnival

JT1962

This would be a total waste on my 2 cruises in Europe.  I would like to try it,  but on our first cruise our last day is in Livorno (Florence/Pisa)  for 12 hours.  I am not giving up going on an excursion for this.  Our second cruise our last day is in Naples for 12 hours.  Same thing.  The reason I am going to Europe is for the ports. If I wanted to just chill out on the ship I wouldn't fly all the way to Europe for that.  I would stay in the US and on a newer ship.  I would definitely do it on a Caribbean cruise.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, luv2trvlnow said:

This would be a total waste on my 2 cruises in Europe.  I would like to try it,  but on our first cruise our last day is in Livorno (Florence/Pisa)  for 12 hours.

Maybe it's the last sea day instead of the last day.  Since they only do MDR breakfast (not brunch) on port days, I can't see there being enough demand for a paid brunch either amongst the minority of passengers not going ashore if the last day is a port day.

• Like 1

The steakhouse brunch is really doesn't fit into this discussion.  The cutbacks are things that were included in your fare that were eliminated or modified.  Offering brunch in the steakhouse for a cost is just giving another option to spend money.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ray98 said:

The steakhouse brunch is really doesn't fit into this discussion.  The cutbacks are things that were included in your fare that were eliminated or modified.  Offering brunch in the steakhouse for a cost is just giving another option to spend money.

Except that they're adding back for a fee the steak that was previously cut from the (complimentary) MDR brunch menu.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Except that they're adding back for a fee the steak that was previously cut from the (complimentary) MDR brunch menu.

Yup.  It is the same tactic they have followed for years.  I remember as far back when you could get a real steak in the MDR any night of the week.  Now the only option is pay $26.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Yup.  It is the same tactic they have followed for years.  I remember as far back when you could get a real steak in the MDR any night of the week.  Now the only option is pay $26.

Nowadays you can't even get a baked potato every night of the week. Even on elegant night you just get a half a overcooked potato with burnt cheez-whiz on top.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

So you make reservations once onboard?  You get a starter, entree and dessert like a regular Steakhouse dinner?  TIA!

I would assume you get to choose two among the apps, bisque and salads, an entree, a side and a dessert.

We have dinner reservations for both of our last nights on the MG over Labor Day.  If offered, we may go to the brunch one week and move our dinner reservation.  Need to discuss with DH.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

So you make reservations once onboard?  You get a starter, entree and dessert like a regular Steakhouse dinner?  TIA!

Yes we booked on the Hub app.

Yes starter entree and dessert, also salad if you wanted it and several sides offered..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, maryann2 said:

Another thing that has started is brunch on the last day in the steakhouse. We booked for 12 noon and it is a wonderful menu. Cost $25 

We were able to use our free Diamond/Platinum drink.

Great news. They tried this years ago on a Transatlantic I believe, and it was a wild success. Putting a price on it helps separate the wheat from the chaff. This menu looks more ambitious, though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ray98 said:

It's a negative cutback. People are pretending Carnival only makes cutbacks and are making misleading claims.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Great news. They tried this years ago on a Transatlantic I believe, and it was a wild success. Putting a price on it helps separate the wheat from the chaff. This menu looks more ambitious, though.

I checked - it was on the Carnival Dream Transatlantic, so it has been a while.

On 8/17/2022 at 5:23 PM, maryann2 said:

Just available the last day which happened to be a sea day.

Not well advertised. Heard about it at the Diamond reception.

Not on the website for our MG cruise on 8/27.  But, if it is available on board, what was the dress code?   Was it the same as dinnertime or was it relaxed so dress shorts could be worn?  Thanks

3 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Not on the website for our MG cruise on 8/27.  But, if it is available on board, what was the dress code?   Was it the same as dinnertime or was it relaxed so dress shorts could be worn?  Thanks

It was more relaxed than dinner time. This was Alaska though and no-one wearing shorts.

Check the Hub app once onboard and see if it available. As I said not advertised or able to book before boarding.

We did not pay until the day of the brunch.

Edited by maryann2
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 1:54 PM, BlerkOne said:

The wheat from the chaff??? Reminds me of a recent thread about people expressing their “superiority” to others.

On 8/17/2022 at 4:28 PM, BlerkOne said:

It's a negative cutback. People are pretending Carnival only makes cutbacks and are making misleading claims.

If you can’t see that charging for something that was previously included is a cutback, you are living in LaLa land.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

The wheat from the chaff??? Reminds me of a recent thread about people expressing their “superiority” to others.

If you can’t see that charging for something that was previously included is a cutback, you are living in LaLa land.

Change happens You can embrace it or get run over by it.

In what universe was lunch in the Steakhouse included. Ever. A rhetorical question.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

In what universe was lunch in the Steakhouse included. Ever. A rhetorical question.

Now you have proven you just post to post. You know very well what I meant and it was not lunch in the steakhouse.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2022 at 2:33 PM, BlerkOne said:

I checked - it was on the Carnival Dream Transatlantic, so it has been a while.

They had the steakhouse brunch on a Pride Journeys last fall. It was one of the best meals I have eaten on a Carnival ship. Well worth the price. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I will infer that the reference was that filet and eggs, which was recently changed at the Sea Day Brunch, would now be available at a slightly upscaled version at the Steakhouse Brunch for a 25.00 charge.   I could be wrong, but it is what would make the most sense.

• Like 1