Beyond - Live Post Aug 8-18 Greek Isles and Italy

Lena11033

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Lena11033 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

This is my first blog of a cruise, actually it's my first cruise in general as my original one booked for June 2020 we all know what happened there so I will do my best for reporting back on my thoughts (just may not be as good as Charla or Jim). This is just me going, husband is a home body, has let his passport expire (I'll be sorting that out when I get back) and also with four dogs one with epilepsy so it's hard to have others look after them.

I'm checked in for the cruise for 11:30am boarding time Monday, I didn't see anything earlier so guessing this maybe the first block of time. I believe I have all my documents ready, passports (British one for the UK not the cruise), vaccine info just need to test on Saturday. I've been home for the last two weeks other than me throwing my back out a week and a half ago and having to go get an anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxant to bring down the swelling and pain, so fingers crossed all good for Saturday testing. I have an infinite veranda room, yes I am very well aware on what the room is but the cruise is port heavy so doubt I'd be spending a lot of time there. Also it's a good first room, plus last year we had a ROUGH year. My husband's company outsourced his entire department to Mexico so we had to sell and pack up and move 300km away because he was out of a job, after almost a year of stress they reverted it for him so he survived so when I booked the room it was as high as I was willing to pay based on only me working.

Today is my last 9-5 day as technically Friday's are summer hours. My flight is tomorrow in two parts, Windsor to Toronto - I had them rebook me a month ago with all the issues with airlines to be the first flight of the day at 8:50am EST. Next part if 8:50pm EST from Toronto to Rome, as I have to work tomorrow I'll be working from the airport but checking flight status' today the first flight of the day was cancelled so hoping tomorrow goes smoothly.
I used points for my flight but did a bid on an upgraded seat so paying 1/4 price for business class from TO to Rome so now I can go in comfort and get access to the lounge to work from.

I've been super excited for this trip (ask my husband I've not stopped talking about it and made him watch cruising videos), I've been to Athens once but never the Islands and never been to Italy. I land Saturday lunchtime in Rome so have the afternoon and Sunday to explore and adjust and Monday morning head to the port. It's a 10 day cruise, after which I'm spending a few more days in Rome then flying to the UK for a week. My original plan was to see my uncle in Scotland but little worried with catching covid and he has COPD so opted to stay in London as I'm there only for a week and see friends and next year when I am in the UK go to Scotland first to see family.

Right now I'm wrapping up loose ends for my team while I am gone and last minute going through my luggage make sure I have everything and they are all in the right bag (like the prescriptions, don't need them right now but too close to the injury I'm bringing them just in case it flares up).

- Jeannette

IMG_9268.jpg

291592501_10166927201670093_3297414017860656990_n.jpg

• Like 14

Looking forward to your blog. We did the Greek Islands on Beyond in June. Great cruise. The theatre is amazing, especially the Elements show. We also enjoyed the sunset bar, rooftop lawn area for movies, plunge pools and main pool and Solarium pool.  Breakfast in the Solarium cafe is good for a fast light breakfast and fresh coffee 

You'll have a great time

Safe travels

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

Looking forward to following along. We did the Greek Islands on the Edge during her inaugural season in 2019. Have just returned from a Med cruise on the Reflection where we did Croatia and Montenegro amongst other ports.  

• Like 1

Flight 1 of 2 done.

It's a long day, I was planning on waking up at 4am to make the airport check in time however mother nature had different plans and we had a wicked storm at 2am so I've been up since then.

I live near the border with Detroit and when I booked the flight we hadn't moved here and didn't know how easy it would be to cross so picked the Windsor airport to leave from, it was a quick check in but the security was slow - mainly because the person in front of me didn't empty his pocked or put all metal items in the bin. I also got selected for a random screening (Probably because I have a British accent 😅)

All my planning of carry on luggage kinda went out the window as flight 1 all carry on that were not the size of a backpack had to be stored with checked luggage. So there's me on the floor pulling out my laptop and hoping I see my clothes again. We left 20 mins late because they had to add the luggage in and when arriving at Toronto had to wait 20 mins as no ground crew for the plane. 

Here's a prime example of needing long connection time, the guy next to me was on his feet and at the door before the plane pulled in properly, he still had to get his luggage that was carry on and then he was running and pushing people out the way to make the next plane in 10 mins. I mean I gave my connecting a LARGE amount but with flights being cancelled I figured if I booked the first flight and it got cancelled I still had the rest of the day to get to Toronto somehow.

As I have 8 hours I strolled casually through the airport as I had to walk from domestic flights to International which is like the other end of the airport. Now sitting in the Air Canada Lounge eating the free food provided working away for the day and relaxing until the flight to Rome (once I log out of work there may be *actually will be* wine)

• Like 3

Flight ended up leaving an hour late previous flight was late and then people with too much carry ons. Otherwise uneventful I managed to get a couple of hours sleep but feeling it now. 

made it into Rome at 12 today getting through the airport was really quick and luggage arrived no problem. I had a driver from Rome cabs waiting to pick me up and we had a nice chat on the way to the hotel. My next task was COVID test which took a while, I think the people must have been on PST time with how dark it was for them and took a while for the results but all good for Monday. 

since then I’ve gone for a walk in the city and now back at the hotel. It’s hot but I’m really tired in two days I’ve had eight hours sleep and no lunch today and breakfast ont the plane I could only eat a small amount because there was cheese with it and I can’t have dairy so I had fruit and a pastry. I’m going to see how I feel in a bit and make a decision on going out or just ordering room service tonight 

485295D1-243F-4CEB-A9D0-224B905E4240.jpeg

E3717923-CE71-4962-AA85-B3354906C27D.jpeg

B7CF465E-F93E-4590-B3E5-DBDD223BD065.jpeg

4501E5AE-033C-41C5-AE3C-647EE32DBD9C.jpeg

98CB175D-B62C-45FB-8B20-D613C070CB67.jpeg

AF53DDB8-38EC-44AC-9EB6-374544FD16DD.jpeg

AD8138BC-988C-453E-A694-84B552FFC0BC.png

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, vickykay said:

Also wondering where you did your Covid test.  Thanks.

I did mine with switch health. Lots of people on my cruise just went into a pharmacy but I did the online test. I ordered it a while ago I didn’t want to presume testing would be easily available, turns out the pharmacies have been busy with testing because of the cruises

Edited by Lena11033
  • Like 1

Yesterday I headed out early to beat some of the heat (it’s been over 100f and with walking it feels worse lol). I managed to get to some of the sights from the day before but with less people so managed to get some nice photos. At 20am I had a walking food tour so we saw Campo de fiore, went for pizza, had Jewish artichokes in the ghetto, went on for two types of pasta and then gelato. After that a slow walk back to the hotel as it was 2pm by the time I got to Castel de sant’angelo the sun was in full fury so admired the view before continuing (that and more water). 

Today is cruise day I picked the earliest time on the check in which was 11:30 but I arrived at the port at 11:15 and by 11:30 I was already on and was not the first. I’ve dropped off my carry ons and wandered around the ship to get my bearings as it’s my first cruise and already on my second drink 

35CA9A1B-2311-4C01-8D81-F791BEFDF8E2.jpeg

B4A4C982-01BE-4383-84B2-35C91702A9D0.jpeg

07253D31-8ECF-46C4-9162-AF8D403C97E0.jpeg

7B1BCF09-FD3E-4941-A1FD-E6D37E3D2183.jpeg

E068E4FA-354D-43C5-A274-83CE57566283.jpeg

• Like 12

So great of you to take the time to "bring us along"!  We are on the same trip next summer and just started booking our shore excursions so it will be nice to hear how your trip goes, enjoy!!!

Thanks for posting! First cruise and on an E class ship, you will be spoiled! Have cruised on Edge and Apex. Great ships.

The Infinity cabins are great, we had one on the Apex and thought after what I had read that I may of made a mistake but LOVED the cabin! The sitting area on the enclosed “balcony” gave us more room. We never put the window down.

We will be sailing Beyond this winter for two weeks so looking forward to your thoughts.

Cheers!