HAL updates "Travel Well" Covid-19 Protocols & Procedures

SUESEABE

13 minutes ago, oakridger said:

I agree with @BermudaBound2014. Two people with two opposite answers from HAL in 24 hours.  Jeez!!

HAL needs to put it in writing and clean up the rest of the discrepancies in policy on the website that others above have pointed out!!  All this back and forth from them is so avoidable if they just got their act together!!!

~Nancy

You ought to see the conversation about this new protocol on the Princess forum.  One part of their site says test needed for 16+ days on one page and another removed that requirement from another...  People don't know what to think.  I think it all got rolled out too quickly by Carnival Corp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

You ought to see the conversation about this new protocol on the Princess forum.  One part of their site says test needed for 16+ days on one page and another removed that requirement from another...  People don't know what to think.  I think it all got rolled out too quickly by Carnival Corp.

Exactly.....and not just Carnival. Seems to be the case with most of the lines. I guess this is what happens when changes need to be rolled out quickly but there is so much information on the websites that needs to be reviewed and updated.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Canada requires the negative covid test before boarding ....

Just pointing out that Canada requires a negative covid test before boarding today. We have no idea what they will require tomorrow and perhaps the agent that riverrat spoke with is privy to an updated policy that hasn't been announced yet? Sure sounds like that agent was adamant that Vancouver would not require a test. 

I'm not saying that Canada's policy is going to change, but I'm suggesting it's possible and cruisers need to remain fluid. Take a look at Bermuda. They actually went on the record formally stating they would not remove the vaccine requirement until March of 2023 and just today did an entire about face and are now welcoming the unvaccinated starting as soon as next week.

Things are changing so fast that HAL can't keep up. What is policy today may change tomorrow, and then change back when the flu season hits. And while I don't think policies will ever reverse, I acknowledge that covid has taught me anything is possible when it comes to the CDC.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Exactly.....and not just Carnival. Seems to be the case with most of the lines. I guess this is what happens when changes need to be rolled out quickly but there is so much information on the websites that needs to be reviewed and updated.

This ^.

And while I do have empathy for HAL, I think they have had enough time now to clean up some of the most glaring contradictions. 

I personally think that the RCL/Celebrity group did the best job spelling out the newest changes. Their language is much clearer. But even they are not immune to confusion since destinations are now making changes at rapid-fire pacing. 

The cruise line clearly in last place is Carnival not HAL. The whole debacle regarding testing for the Bahamas was laughable. They doubled down on policy, and then reversed course the very next day. 

But for sure, it's a mess everywhere.

• Like 1

Here are the Canadian requirements as of August 18th.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

If your cruise stops in Canada, you require a negative test up to 72 hours prior to embarkation (if NAAT) or up to 2 days prior (if rapid antigen). Either test must be lab based or professionally observed.

Might it change? Certainly - but I recommend using the official government site rather than a cruise line employee for guidance. They are not likely to have any insight into government policy. Safe travels! 🍺🥌

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2022 at 5:57 AM, Stakeout said:

no testing requirement sure makes our next set of 5 back to back cruises-64 days out of Barcelona on the Oosterdam a lot easier to manage ..just don't like the UNVACCINATED part of that notice..

Just a heads up as it appears you are on our transatlantic (we have a great roll call 😉) - testing is required for trans oceanic sailings - so testing is needed currently for our sailing.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 11:06 AM, jeff74 said:

I think the frustration at least on my part is that a higher burden of proof is required with having to physically produce the vaccine card at the embarkation instead of only needing to show a picture of it which is all that is required for Covid tests for the unvaccinated.  This is my understanding from calling HAL yesterday so it’s possible that the rep that I spoke with provided inaccurate info.  If this is accurate than it may just be easier to identify as unvaxxed, take a free unproctored Covid test 2 days prior then snap a photo and not have to worry about losing my vaccine card.

We don’t have a card per se.  Our vaccination status is provincial and we have a Federal QR code which most countries want.  I will just upload and take my QR code for HAL.  Everything they need is in it.

12 minutes ago, kazu said:

Just a heads up as it appears you are on our transatlantic (we have a great roll call 😉) - testing is required for trans oceanic sailings - so testing is needed currently for our sailing.

It’s also required for the Greek Odyssey segment of their sailings.  I am interested to see the logistics of how HAL handles this.

On 8/15/2022 at 1:14 PM, JT1962 said:

Great news. Hopefully headed to no vaccine or testing requirements for anyone on any sailing by the end of the year.

Oh I do hope that will eventually happen.  It upsets me to see people treat the unvaxxed like they are diseased and looked down on.  So many people who are on on fully vaxxed and tested cruises still get covid.  We need to move on from this and treat the non-vaxxed equal to the vaxxed. 

• Like 3