Avoiding crowds

Losnab

Still having post covid large group anxiety.  Not debilitating but enough to want to avoid crowds.  Looking for timing and dining suggestions in less crowded areas/times.  Inside passage Zuiderdam. 

Edited by Losnab
Duplicate

• Losnab changed the title to Avoiding crowds
10 minutes ago, Losnab said:

Still having post covid large group anxiety.  Not debilitating but enough to want to avoid crowds.  Looking for timing and dining suggestions in less crowded areas/times.  Inside passage Zuiderdam. 

On HAL that is easy.  Many HAL passengers consider dining at 5pm too darn late.  I guess they are used to Early Birds and eating dinner at 4.  But when it comes to dining you should be contrarian to the norms on HAL.  That means adopting a later schedule.  So eat lunch late, towards the end of the MDR lunch (for the few days when it is even open) or go to the LIdo around 1pm (or later).  For dinner, we find that if we go to the MDR (open dining) about 8:15, we can have most of the MDR to ourselves.

But crowd avoidance on a cruise or when traveling is difficult and if you are suffering from COVID-anxiety perhaps you should stay home a few more years.  We have very good friends who normally join us in Puerto Vallarta for the winter.  After sitting out an entire year (2020) they decided to   come to PV in 2022 (Jan - April).  They lasted 10 days, cancelled their hotel,  changed their flights, and went home to lock-down for the winter.  Why?  They said there were too many people in Puerto Vallarta and they felt uncomfortable.  They are planning to come back this winter although we wonder what has changed.  There is still COVID, there will be bigger crowds, etc.  By the way, the irony is that our friends both got COVID while being very careful at home (they likely caught it from a family member or at church).  Meanwhile, those of us who stayed in PV were all fine.  Go figure.

Hank

• Like 1

Not just on the ship but you will find Alaska to be pretty lax on Covid restrictions. Unless OP intends to do hike in isolation in Alaska, they will have to deal with crowds in the excursions. But if they really wanted to avoid crowds on the ship during dining, room service is always a valid option for breakfast and dinner.

44 minutes ago, Losnab said:

A cruise vacation may not be for you then.

• Like 2

I would also suggest having a room with a balcony for the scenic cruising days in order to get a great view of things without the crowds.  Even pre-Covid this was great to be able to relax.  Hard to beat sitting on your own balcony drinking hot chocolate and eating warm cookies while looking at amazing sights.

• Like 2

Thanks all.  Love the suggestion @Hlitner to dine late, which is typically how we roll at home anyway, so that should flow easy for us,  And I can appreciate the the story you shared.  

And totally agree with booking a veranda @jeff74.  Simply looking  forward to off the grid days on the balcony, a cocktail and some room service too.

The excursion we booked was promoted as “limited small group “.  Otherwise I think there  are plenty of opportunities for outdoor hiking in Alaska.

i suppose I should have expected my honesty to have evoked at least one response to say avoid a cruise vacation and we almost did.   But I think it’s going to be a great trip, just a little different.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Losnab said:

Thanks all.  Love the suggestion @Hlitner to dine late, which is typically how we roll at home anyway, so that should flow easy for us,  And I can appreciate the the story you shared.  

And totally agree with booking a veranda @jeff74.  Simply looking  forward to off the grid days on the balcony, a cocktail and some room service too.

The excursion we booked was promoted as “limited small group “.  Otherwise I think there  are plenty of opportunities for outdoor hiking in Alaska.

i suppose I should have expected my honesty to have evoked at least one response to say avoid a cruise vacation and we almost did.   But I think it’s going to be a great trip, just a little different.  

You might want to reconsider a "limited small group" excursion.  That is "tour speak" for a van or mini-bus that will likely have every seat full.  If you have ever been crammed into a 9 or 12 person van you will know that you are much closer to other folks then if you are on a large tour bus.  The only way I know to avoid crowding on tours is to either book a private tour (for just your own little group) or DIY (my norm).   We actually felt more comfortable on larger tour buses because you have 2 abreast seats and some space.  On vans we would often be crowded into a tight seating row.

We have been on 75 days of cruises in the past year and managed not to get COVID.  DW and I do socialize on ships, spend plenty of time sitting at crowded bars, and share dining tables with others.  But I like to say that we choose our battles :).  So other than those times when we are intentionally socializing and being around lots of folks, we avoid being in crowds.  For us it is just a matter of moving the odds a little in our favor, but not giving up the socialization that we enjoy on when cruising and travel.  On our April-May 27 day cruise (Miami to Monte Carlo) we met one young couple who darn near isolated themselves from everyone.  We only met them because they were at a nearby table in the MDR and we chatted for over an hour.  This couple told us they were miserable (because they prefer to socialize with others) but were determined to avoid everyone in order not to get COVID (there were quite a few COVID cases on that cruise).    When we traveled in Europe (we spend a few weeks doing our usual independent travel/driving) it was not practical to avoid crowds when we were outdoors (Prague and Krakow were packed with tourists), but we did try to limit being in crowds when indoors.

Hank

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Losnab said:

22 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

You might want to reconsider a "limited small group" excursion.  That is "tour speak" for a van or mini-bus that will likely have every seat full.  If you have ever been crammed into a 9 or 12 person van you will know that you are much closer to other folks then if you are on a large tour bus.  The only way I know to avoid crowding on tours is to either book a private tour (for just your own little group) or DIY (my norm).   We actually felt more comfortable on larger tour buses because you have 2 abreast seats and some space.  On vans we would often be crowded into a tight seating row.

We have been on 75 days of cruises in the past year and managed not to get COVID.  DW and I do socialize on ships, spend plenty of time sitting at crowded bars, and share dining tables with others.  But I like to say that we choose our battles :).  So other than those times when we are intentionally socializing and being around lots of folks, we avoid being in crowds.  For us it is just a matter of moving the odds a little in our favor, but not giving up the socialization that we enjoy on when cruising and travel.  On our April-May 27 day cruise (Miami to Monte Carlo) we met one young couple who darn near isolated themselves from everyone.  We only met them because they were at a nearby table in the MDR and we chatted for over an hour.  This couple told us they were miserable (because they prefer to socialize with others) but were determined to avoid everyone in order not to get COVID (there were quite a few COVID cases on that cruise).    When we traveled in Europe (we spend a few weeks doing our usual independent travel/driving) it was not practical to avoid crowds when we were outdoors (Prague and Krakow were packed with tourists), but we did try to limit being in crowds when indoors.

Hank

We are in the same boat as you, we've been on 5 cruises since Thanksgiving and have avoided coming down with Covid. We avoid large crowds by not hopping on crowded elevators and isolating in the lounges and showroom. We are early risers and usually the first ones in the buffet for breakfast, for lunch we eat at 11:30 in the buffet when it's not as crowded. We dine in the MDR at 5:15 or 5:30 when it's also not crowded.

We also mask up when we are indoors. We are in our mid 70s and just cruise the Caribbean and have been to most of the islands, some over 30 times so we seldom leave the ship unless we feel the need to walk around a port, no need for tours as we've been there and done that.

It Helps living in Florida and driving to Port Everglades or other ports and not being in crowded airports and packed airplanes.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

We are in the same boat as you, we've been on 5 cruises since Thanksgiving and have avoided coming down with Covid. We avoid large crowds by not hopping on crowded elevators and isolating in the lounges and showroom. We are early risers and usually the first ones in the buffet for breakfast, for lunch we eat at 11:30 in the buffet when it's not as crowded. We dine in the MDR at 5:15 or 5:30 when it's also not crowded.

We also mask up when we are indoors. We are in our mid 70s and just cruise the Caribbean and have been to most of the islands, some over 30 times so we seldom leave the ship unless we feel the need to walk around a port, no need for tours as we've been there and done that.

It Helps living in Florida and driving to Port Everglades or other ports and not being in crowded airports and packed airplanes.

I should have posted that we have absolutely no post COVID anxiety.  Nearly 2 years ago we simply decided that COVID is something with which we must all live and we choose to live rather than put ourselves into some mental health prison where COVID rules our life.  We do understand that not everyone can mentally handle this COVID phobia, but it is what it is!   But not being concerned about COVID and using common sense to minimize our risk are two different things.   We also have some friends who are, what I like to call, in COVID prison, but it is a prison of their own making.  We met a psychologist on our recent cruise who thinks that "Covid phobia" has become a form of Enochlophobia and for some folks even Agoraphobia.   He figures that anxiety related to COVID will keep him in business forever.

Hank

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I should have posted that we have absolutely no post COVID anxiety.

While this is great for you, I think it's time to stop trying to "COVID shame" folks with a different viewpoint. 

Surely you can get your point across without using terms like "mental health prison" and "COVID phobia".  

It's wonderful that you have not (yet) had COVID, but if I had a dollar for every person who has bragged about not having COVID -- only to later come down with it -- I would be booking my next cruise for free. Just a couple of weeks ago both my boss (in Europe) and my US boss came down with COVID due to very different exposures. Neither one recommends the experience if avoiding it is possible.

There are many different reasons that impel people to be more (or less) cautious, and being cautious doesn't necessarily equate with being in "COVID prison".  Some people, such as myself, want to avoid infecting frail elderly members of our family. Others may have risk factors for more severe disease, or simply don't feel that they can afford to be sick. Or don't want to risk having the possible long-COVID experience.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

14 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Zuiderdam is my favorite Dam ship (so far). Sailed a TransAtlantic in one of the Observation Deck "insides-with-a-window". Loved the proximity to Crows Nest and Lido. Post-covid I am not booking anything below a verandah (balcony).

We have one of those booked on the Zuiderdam for the Grand World Voyage in January. I also like the proximity to the outer deck. What did you think of it?

If you want to avoid crowds for dinner time, consider having dinner from the MDR brought to your cabin.  You can pick from the MDR menu, but need to order within a set time range (normally the first hour that the MDR is open, but can be delivered.  At any time.

Also, try dining in the specialty places.  Tamarind is a favorite of ours and usually not crowded.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

If you want to avoid crowds for dinner time, consider having dinner from the MDR brought to your cabin.  You can pick from the MDR menu, but need to order within a set time range (normally the first hour that the MDR is open, but can be delivered.  At any time.

Also, try dining in the specialty places.  Tamarind is a favorite of ours and usually not crowded.

Just looked at Tamarinds menu and love that suggestion 

16 hours ago, Losnab said:

I'll be boarding Z'dam for Inside Passage tomorrow.  Here's my plan:

Breakfast and lunch (when not in port):  Go to Lido (masked) at non-busy hours.  Order food and take it to a table on starboard side (non-smoking) out on the open-air aft deck by Seaview Pool.  Or possibly the midship Lido pool, providing the magrodome is OPENED.  If closed, then Seaview definitely.

For dinner, NO MDR at all!  Room service from MDR every evening.  Note also that, despite what was said in post #16, there is no Tamarind on Vista-class ships.  Bummer, 'cause I LOVE Nami sushi.

Staying masked while indoors always.  Not taking any excursions in crowded vans or buses.  All I ever do in Alaska is hike anyway, so don't need to book tours.

I haven't had Covid (yet) and hope to stay healthy this trip because have important European cruise six weeks later and don't want any possible "long Covid" aftereffects to mar that voyage.

Oh BTW, this will be my fourth cruise since the restart.

Edited by AV8rix
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

While this is great for you, I think it's time to stop trying to "COVID shame" folks with a different viewpoint. 

Surely you can get your point across without using terms like "mental health prison" and "COVID phobia".  

It's wonderful that you have not (yet) had COVID, but if I had a dollar for every person who has bragged about not having COVID -- only to later come down with it -- I would be booking my next cruise for free. Just a couple of weeks ago both my boss (in Europe) and my US boss came down with COVID due to very different exposures. Neither one recommends the experience if avoiding it is possible.

There are many different reasons that impel people to be more (or less) cautious, and being cautious doesn't necessarily equate with being in "COVID prison".  Some people, such as myself, want to avoid infecting frail elderly members of our family. Others may have risk factors for more severe disease, or simply don't feel that they can afford to be sick. Or don't want to risk having the possible long-COVID experience.

Actually, the medical world has already began using the term "Coronaphobia" which is recognized as an anxiety disorder.  So I do apologize because my use of Covidphobia should be changed to Coronaphobia.    But there are other publications that speak to "Covidphobia" such as Psychology Today.  There was a fascinating article by Dr. Ilisa Kaufman, Psy.D in the Jan 2021 issue of Psychology Today.  

I think the cruise industry needs to find ways to alleviate the concerns of folks with this kind of anxiety since it keeps many folks from booking cruises.  Last week when Oceania announced they were eliminating vaccine mandates from some of their cruises (other lines quickly followed suit) it caused some CC posters to become upset.  These folks talked about NOT cruising on a ship unless it had a vaccine mandate.  Others have said they will not cruise on ships that have a mask mandate while still other folks say they will not cruise on a ship without a mask mandate.   Truly one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't dilemmas for the cruise lines.

DW and I have talked about these issues ever since we resumed cruising in July 2021.  All the cruises we have taken (3 Seabourn and 1 Princess) had mask mandates for the crew (although that was often violated in various ways) and some of our cruises had a passenger indoor mask mandate, one had an indoor mandate for part of the cruise, and another had no mask mandates for passengers.  The only cruise we took that had zero reported COVID cases was a 14 day Seabourn cruise in the Greek Islands that had no mask mandate for passengers.  That same cruise itinerary had multiple COVID cases a few weeks after we had disembarked. 

What cannot be denied is that COVID has become a major issue for the entire cruise/travel industry.  Many of us thought that once the cruise industry restarted, the COVID thing would become a minor annoyance just like Noro.  But that does not seem to be happening.  It has obviously grown into one of the biggest challenges ever faced by the industry.

Hank

P.S.  Where we live (Central PA) masks have just about disappeared in most venues.  The few folks we have seen with masks were wearing cloth masks which all experts agree are near worthless.  I can go days without seeing a single person wearing a N95 or KN95 mask which are the only kind now deemed worthy.

If you think that you can hide from COVID, then you are sadly mistaken.  There is absolutely no way to distance yourself while on a cruise ship.  I just returned home from Bermuda COVID positive.  Fortunately, it is nothing more that a cold for me.  I knew the risk and went anyway.  I am triple vaccinated.  The vaccine is doing what is is supposed to do.  Would I do it again?  Definitely!  We need to live with this.

@Losnab I don't want to sound fatalistic, but when Covid wants you, it will find you no matter what.  My brother kept himself and his wife at home with at home grocery deliveries and would finally go outdoors.  He got hit by a car crossing the street to go to a doctor's appointment and he got Covid while in the hospital.  Try to live your life to your comfort level.  The best tool you possess against Covid is your own intelligence and common sense.  Covid-19 is no longer what it was when everybody was ending up on a ventilator.  It's nothing to ignore, but so is washing your hands frequently onboard because Noro is still out there.  Spending too much time in the sun isn't good but some sunlight is also necessary for good health.  Trust your intelligence and common sense and enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

We have one of those booked on the Zuiderdam for the Grand World Voyage in January. I also like the proximity to the outer deck. What did you think of it?

We liked it fine at the time! Booked one again for 35-day So.Pacific in March 2020... that didn't happen.

You will sometimes hear the door to the deck slam (it's a heavy door), but it did not disrupt our concentration. My husband liked having the CrowsNest as our living room! He was still working and would do his e-mail and VOIP calls from the cabin, then move to the big chair in the CN (as soon as one would become available). I would pull a club-chair over.

The Crows Nest is also the Exploration Cafe so we could start with lattes, flow to boat-drinks and finish with wine before dinner! The Lido (buffet) was only one flight of stairs down and a walk by the pool to the late-night pizza!

Despite being so high and far forward, barely felt ship movement. It is a small room but I remember saying it was roomier than I expected. I think it even had a third chair, but wouldn't count on that. Oh, I do remember: there are hardly any drawers, just the small nightstands, so I was glad I had used packing cubes which kept smaller items corralled on the large closet shelves. There are large drawers under the foot of the bed, but we didn't use them.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, crystalspin said:

We liked it fine at the time! Booked one again for 35-day So.Pacific in March 2020... that didn't happen.

You will sometimes hear the door to the deck slam (it's a heavy door), but it not disrupt our concentration. My husband liked having the CrowsNest as our living room! He was still working and would do his e-mail and VOIP calls from the cabin, then move to the big chair in the CN (as soon as one would become available). I would pull a club-chair over.

The Crows Nest is also the Exploration Cafe so we could start with lattes, flow to boat-drinks and finish with wine before dinner! The Lido (buffet) was only one flight of stairs down and a walk by the pool to the late-night pizza!

Despite being so high and far forward, barely felt ship movement. It is a small room but I remember saying it was roomier than I expected. I think it even had a third chair, but wouldn't count on that. Oh, I do remember: there are hardly any drawers, just the small nightstands, so I was glad I had used packing cubes to keep smaller items corralled on the large closet shelves. There are large drawers under the foot of the bed, but we didn't use them.

Thank you! When we were on the Zuiderdam in May, our WC cabin was vacant and the steward let us have a look. I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of space. There’s no sofa, but it has a very airy, open feel. We are bringing some hanging storage using magnetic ceiling hooks, which makes up for limited drawer space. And that cabin has lots of open wall space they can hang against. I’m looking forward to it!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Losnab said:

you are having crowd anxiety and you want to get on a cruise ship??  an enclosed cruise ship?  not sure i understand this reasoning but there is no less crowed areas or times

• Like 1

1 hour ago, esimon said:

you are having crowd anxiety and you want to get on a cruise ship??  an enclosed cruise ship?  not sure i understand this reasoning but there is no less crowed areas or times

How about a hockey game in a packed arena with 20,000 screaming fans.

• Like 1