Is this a good upgrade?

firstjourney

First cruise ever next week, Spirit to Alaska. Going solo. Booked 5 months ago, interior cabin, deck 1, I thought was low price at around $400. Upgrade offer today for deck 8, extended balcony for $300. I know that the "worth" of an upgrade is subjective to personal preference but as I'm not cruise savvy (yet) I was just looking for opinions on whether I got a "good deal" or not. Thank you for all the wealth of info I've learned from this site so far!

My question is do you have any shore excursions planned?  Depending on your budget I would keep the inside cabin and put the $300 toward seeing Alaska on land.  Yes you can sit on your balcony and watch the scenery go by but there are lots of wonderful places on the ship to do that.  The weather can also be unpredictable so you may or may not get much use of the balcony.  Ge off the ship and explore Alaska.  It's a beautiful place.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, farjar said:

My question is do you have any shore excursions planned?  Depending on your budget I would keep the inside cabin and put the $300 toward seeing Alaska on land.  Yes you can sit on your balcony and watch the scenery go by but there are lots of wonderful places on the ship to do that.  The weather can also be unpredictable so you may or may not get much use of the balcony.  Ge off the ship and explore Alaska.  It's a beautiful place.

Wow, the voice of reason on CC. Well said. 

• Like 2

Yes, that is a good deal.  I would take it in a heartbeat, especially since it is Alaska.  We always cruise in a balcony, but for Alaska it is the only way I would cruise because I would want to see all the scenery.  It is so nice to be able to walk right out to your own balcony and see what is going on outside.

• Like 3

A better Upgrade Offer than I have ever had. But I do agree with “wegonow.” On the other hand adding $300 to your already paid $400 makes an Extended Balcony on deck 8 a great rate. Such a dilemma! Regardless, so glad you can enjoy a cruise to Alaska. 

First thought is, yes, that is a good deal.

The regular interiors on Spirit class are smaller than the balconies and do not have a couch (don't have room for the couch). So, if a little extra space in the cabin is a plus for you personally, that might add a bit more value as well. The only downside of those deck 8 aft balconies (that I can think of) is that they sit below the Serenity deck. So, you may experience some morning/afternoon noise with chairs being set out or moved about. Deck 1 cabins, though, sit below an activity heavy Deck 2 - so, depending on the location of the Deck 1 cabin, there could possibly be a little noise from time to time as well.

We sailed a 10-day to Alaska Jun '22 in a deck 1 interior on the Miracle (a very similar sister ship to Spirit) and absolutely loved the cabin we were assigned - at the time we booked, only an inside guarantee was available. We did not feel as though we missed anything critical without the balcony or extra space - those are just 'nice to haves' for us. That being said, we would have taken the upsell offer. Those 'nice to haves' would definitely be worth $300 to us. All that really matters is if it is worth it to you...

oh, edited to add:

If it is something you want, I'd act much sooner rather than later as those upsells, especially for an aft balcony, tend to go quick!

Edited by txcruiser1234
  • Like 2

As others have already implied, your upsell offer is a good deal. . . and, I'd like to add, your original deal was a good deal as well. It really comes down to what is important to you, and how is your budget overall?  It seems like the vast majority of cruisers do prefer a balcony if they can get one (I am in the minority). 

As noted, shore excursions are expensive for Alaska cruises - often a couple hundred $$ or more per person. That's for just one excursion.  Not everyone takes them, so it's up to you. 

What you are really getting is a combo of the last of the lower demand due to Covid and Covid protocols, and the first week of most kids being in school when demand also drops, a perfect storm of discounts. 

Personally I love inside cabins because I Like saving money, and they tend to be as dark and quiet as a tomb, and I sleep great in them. I think this makes some people feel claustrophobic, however.  I also spend more time in the cabin when I have a balcony, because as noted it's so easy to watch scenery in privacy.  That may or may not be a plus - are you hoping to be sociable or keep to yourself? 

Do keep in mind, it is almost doubling the original cost - is that worth it to you? Your choice!

• Like 2

I'm also in the minority that prefers an inside cabin. Actually just had my first balcony but only because it was comped I wouldn't pay for one.

I'm not a sit around person so only used it a few times. I can find more comfortable seating in A/C with better views around the ship where I won't have to smell pot 24/7 and hear lots of dragging and scraping chair noise from other balconies.

Also I found if I do sit in the uncomfortable chair and look outward the railing cuts into my view.

But having a balcony will prob be something you always wonder about so at that price I would give it a try. 

The one thing I did like and would have missed if I didn't have a balcony was seeing this rainbow and these cheeky birds😁

IMG_20190706_070853390.jpg

IMG_20220809_065813649.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks to all for the words of wisdom! Yes I took the offer. I initially booked the inside as was cheap, I don't mind dark, small spaces, it's just me, and that I'd rather spend $$ on excursions (all the while dreaming how nice morning coffee would be on a balcony). I've got excursions already booked, Taku Lodge Flight, White Pass Summit Train, a couple of walking/hiking trails planned, so prob only early morning/evening on balcony but I think it will be worth it, I've wanted to "conquer Alaska" for 50 years, since I was a 10 year old kid reading nat geo magazine. Finally getting there. This will only be chapter 1. A balcony will be a perk. And besides, hell, I'm worth it! Lol now what to do with all the extra space I wasn't planning on...my adult daughter said I just might have to suck it up & make some coffee drinking friends on ship to share my balcony views with. Thanks again for all your input!

• Like 12

I had an extended on deck 8 in July and it was sooooo nice. Alaska is beautiful, you see SO much while cruising. My guess is those who told you NOT to take it have never been to Alaska. Ya, you can find a spot in the ship, but it’s so nice to have YOUR spot. 

• Like 2

I'm on the Spirit right now in an extended balcony and you made a great decision.  The views were spectacular from the balcony and I'd  have died if I were in an inside cabin on this particular cruise with all the photo opportunities from the balcony. If you are doing Tracey Arm excursion you MUST do the small boat excursion .... best views of the cruise that the ship itself can't get into. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, firstjourney said:

Thanks to all for the words of wisdom! Yes I took the offer. I initially booked the inside as was cheap, I don't mind dark, small spaces, it's just me, and that I'd rather spend $$ on excursions (all the while dreaming how nice morning coffee would be on a balcony). I've got excursions already booked, Taku Lodge Flight, White Pass Summit Train, a couple of walking/hiking trails planned, so prob only early morning/evening on balcony but I think it will be worth it, I've wanted to "conquer Alaska" for 50 years, since I was a 10 year old kid reading nat geo magazine. Finally getting there. This will only be chapter 1. A balcony will be a perk. And besides, hell, I'm worth it! Lol now what to do with all the extra space I wasn't planning on...my adult daughter said I just might have to suck it up & make some coffee drinking friends on ship to share my balcony views with. Thanks again for all your input!

Thank you for updating all of us, always interesting to hear an end result to a question asked. 

19 hours ago, firstjourney said:

First cruise ever next week, Spirit to Alaska. Going solo. Booked 5 months ago, interior cabin, deck 1, I thought was low price at around $400. Upgrade offer today for deck 8, extended balcony for $300. I know that the "worth" of an upgrade is subjective to personal preference but as I'm not cruise savvy (yet) I was just looking for opinions on whether I got a "good deal" or not. Thank you for all the wealth of info I've learned from this site so far!

Take it,  cruising Alaska with a balcony is wonderful. Your private window to the fabulous scenery.

• Like 1