So I’ve tested positive about a week out

gpnfish

Hi all - I’ve been feeling crappy the last couple days with cough and stuffed up head; and this morning I self-tested positive for Covid.  What’s the latest process?  Do I keep quiet and hope the official proctored test comes up negative, contact Celebrity or my celebrity vacation planner to work through it, or is there some timeline that I need to be aware of to push refunds /FCCs/ Celebrity Air refunds taken care of - Thanks, Gary

PS: I’m scheduled on the Equinox for 10 days starting Aug 29.

Edited by gpnfish
  • Like 2

The magic number these days seems to be 10.  Those who test positive are generally considered not contagious after the 10th day.  Most will test negative somewhere within those 10 days.  My source is personal experience.  We got stuck in Belize before the USG lifted the requirement to test negative before returning to the US.  I tested negative on day seven while DH never tested negative.  On day 10 they let him come home with a letter of recovery.  So what does this mean for your situation?  Well if you can determine the number of days it's been since you started feeling crappy, that could be a gauge for when you will test negative.  However, if you are feeling pretty bad with only a week out, you may not test negative in time to go.  Definitely reach out to your cruise planner to discuss your options.  Hope you feel better!

• Like 1

We did a similar thin in April. It was 6 days out. We had hardly any symptoms. We called and got advice by Royal agent to do either. Take test and hope the day before cruise or stay home and get money back. We opted to get money back and not spread it on ship. Your choice. The agent had similar choice and went. So it is up to you. Are you feeling luck?

• Like 2

It took me 14 days to test negative but I couldn’t take Paxlovid.   My husband tested negative 5 days after taking Paxlovid on the at home tests.   If you are eligible get the medicine.   Of course while taking it you must discontinue many potentially life saving meds for heart conditions.   

• Like 1

What route are you on? Do you even need a test? I would also make it dependent on how you're actually feeling at T-24/48. Do you want to go on a cruise while feeling off the rails? Better get the money back and re-book to sail next month.

As you mentioned Celebrity Air that suggests you also have flights attached to your cruise, meaning you're really sitting right next to someone while positive and not just share open space. In the end it's up to you.

I tested positive within 10 days of my cruise in July. Isolated and kept testing positive. Dr told me I wasnt contagious so flew to Seattle. The day prior I tested negative. Went to terminal and all worked OK.

I reported I’d tested positive prior, as the medical form you fill out the day prior. Didn’t cheat. They had a med person check me out and all was just fine. Took less than 10min and got on board.

But….I tested positive for almost 8 days straight prior. Its Very Variable!

Advice? Too personal. I bet on the come because it was a family cruise that couldn’t be changed for the rest so I just hoped Id test negative prior and not be standing on the pier watching them sail away.

Den  

• Like 3

Just recovered from Covid .We both tested Negative ,although I still feel lousy, We got Recovery from Covid letters.Still going to test as I already bought the monitored test to take prior to cruise,as we will already be in London

• Like 2

As long as Cruise with Confidence applies (which it still does for yours), you can cancel up to 48 hours prior and get FCC for a future cruise.  If you test positive right before your sailing (not sure of the timeframe?) you can call and reschedule your cruise or get FCC I believe. In order to do that I think you will need more proof than a home test so if you decide to do that then get a proctored test somewhere.  Your timing, unfortunately, is right on the bubble so it is a very personal decision as to how to proceed.  Not sure what I would do if it were me - probably wait a day or two and then decide.  If you are significantly better, then perhaps I would still plan to go and test before I got on the plane.  Even if negative I would mask everywhere I went  If still positive I would just do the Cruise with Confidence.  Either way I would probably go get a proctored test right away in case I needed to show that for a last minute cancel.  

12 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

As long as Cruise with Confidence applies (which it still does for yours), you can cancel up to 48 hours prior and get FCC for a future cruise.  If you test positive right before your sailing (not sure of the timeframe?) you can call and reschedule your cruise or get FCC I believe. In order to do that I think you will need more proof than a home test so if you decide to do that then get a proctored test somewhere.  Your timing, unfortunately, is right on the bubble so it is a very personal decision as to how to proceed.  Not sure what I would do if it were me - probably wait a day or two and then decide.  If you are significantly better, then perhaps I would still plan to go and test before I got on the plane.  Even if negative I would mask everywhere I went  If still positive I would just do the Cruise with Confidence.  Either way I would probably go get a proctored test right away in case I needed to show that for a last minute cancel.  

Just very dry nostrils ,but feeling better every day. Don't leave till Thurs and cruise is on Monday.already had 2 negative tests one home and one at doctors office

• Like 3

First of all, isolate aggressively and completely from anyone else in your household that would be going on the cruise and is negative now. That means stay in one room and bathroom and wear a mask if you step outside the room. Call your MD to get an evaluation for Paxlovid. Wear a mask in the car to your doc visit and drive yourself if you can. I think it may be too late for a Cert of Recovery, that has to be at least 11 days prior, I think.

I would test myself every 48 hours after day 5-6. My husband actually started to show decreasing positivity about day 8 and negative on day 10-11. His initial positive was weak, though, we just happen to catch it early and his 48 hour test (he refused to believe he was positive) was actually much stronger than his first positive. Good luck, everyone’s experience, especially for the vax Ed and boosted, is quite different, so it’s hard to give specifics.

• Like 1

When are you flying to FLL? I would do a test which got me results as close as possible to the time I left home for the airport. If positive--I would cancel and go another time.

Personally, I would not fly if I was still testing positive out of courtesy to others.

Obviously, that's your decision. 

I also would not fly to the port and 'hope' that I tested negative a day before sailing. I would make the decision to go/not go prior to traveling to the port. But that's just me.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, gpnfish said:

Hi all - I’ve been feeling crappy the last couple days with cough and stuffed up head; and this morning I self-tested positive for Covid.  What’s the latest process?  Do I keep quiet and hope the official proctored test comes up negative, contact Celebrity or my celebrity vacation planner to work through it, or is there some timeline that I need to be aware of to push refunds /FCCs/ Celebrity Air refunds taken care of - Thanks, Gary

I'm sorry you had to catch the virus so close to your cruise.  I hope you get well soon.  

As for whether to start the cancellation process, consider how important this cruise is to you.  If this is a BUCKET LIST item that would cause you considerable emotional heartbreak to have to cancel, then wait as long as you can before doing that.

My general advice is to start the unwinding process now.  You don't know if you're going to be symptomatic or infectious or can test negative in 9 days.  Maybe, maybe not. I think it's a bad risk.  Paxlovid might make things worse.  If you take it, you might recover in 5 days... only to have a rebound on day 10.  By then you'll be on the ship and be at the mercy of their medical team.  They may or may not be able to give you a second course.  I wouldn't bet on it.  

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the input.  We are scheduled to fly into FLL on Sunday, boarding on Monday.

Right now, it’s only me; my wife is not showing any symptoms.  Hopefully it stays that way.

I don’t expect that we will make this trip, but we will wait and see what happens.  We will take our proctored test with Emed on Friday, and if negative, we will likely go.  If positive, we will not.  As I understand it, I need proof of Covid to cancel and get refunds/FCC so I need to do the proctored test anyway.  I’ll probably take a couple self-tests as we get closer to gauge the probability, and go from there

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

It took me 14 days to test negative but I couldn’t take Paxlovid.   My husband tested negative 5 days after taking Paxlovid on the at home tests.   If you are eligible get the medicine.   Of course while taking it you must discontinue many potentially life saving meds for heart conditions.   

I just got rebound Covid today from Paxlovid. 
I got Covid 12 days ago and took Paxlovid until Sunday. I got better and tested negative Monday morning. Last night I had cold symptoms which I woke with and tested positive this morning. Thankfully my cruise isn’t until October. No more Paxlovid for me. I’ve read my immunity didn’t fully kick in and whatever Covid may have been left behind reinfected me. I’m double vaxxed and double boosted. Fortunately I’m not that sick. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

I just got rebound Covid today from Paxlovid. 
I got Covid 12 days ago and took Paxlovid until Sunday. I got better and tested negative Monday morning. Last night I had cold symptoms which I woke with and tested positive this morning. Thankfully my cruise isn’t until October. No more Paxlovid for me. I’ve read my immunity didn’t fully kick in and whatever Covid may have been left behind reinfected me. I’m double vaxxed and double boosted. Fortunately I’m not that sick. 

Just curious ...

Symptom severity 1st vs 2nd time around?

7 hours ago, gpnfish said:

Feel better buddy.  I say still take the test closer to sail date, especially if you are feeling well.  I tested positive before my cruise and will say if you're still "in the middle of it" you won't even feel like boarding a ship ; cruise will be all that much better when you are feeling better. We postponed and went a month later.  Rest up, lots of vitamins. 

Edited by LMaxwell

6 hours ago, cangelmd said:

First of all, isolate aggressively and completely from anyone else in your household that would be going on the cruise and is negative now. That means stay in one room and bathroom and wear a mask if you step outside the room. Call your MD to get an evaluation for Paxlovid. Wear a mask in the car to your doc visit and drive yourself if you can. I think it may be too late for a Cert of Recovery, that has to be at least 11 days prior, I think.

I would test myself every 48 hours after day 5-6. My husband actually started to show decreasing positivity about day 8 and negative on day 10-11. His initial positive was weak, though, we just happen to catch it early and his 48 hour test (he refused to believe he was positive) was actually much stronger than his first positive. Good luck, everyone’s experience, especially for the vax Ed and boosted, is quite different, so it’s hard to give specifics.

I am confused - how can one test be more positive than another - either you test positive or you don't!  Also what does wearing a mask in a car do?

• Like 3

I recently had Covid and you can test too early with an at home test.  On the day I felt very sick and ran a fever, I tested negative.  I was pretty sure I had it as my husband had tested positive four days earlier. Next day I tested and only a faint, barely visible line for positive.  Day two, a full blown dark positive line.  So that is what the above poster meant about the test being "more positive".  It has to do with viral load.  Antigen tests are not as sensitive as PCR tests.  PCR will pick up any trace amount of viral load and show positive.  You can have fever and symptoms and it still take two days for an at home test to show a strong positive.  Frustrating.

As for the comment about the mask, even when you've had the virus for 5 days after testing positive and are fever free for 24 hours and considered no longer contagious, it is still recommended you mask when in public for an additional 5 days (total of 10 days from onset) on the slight chance that you might still have a low amount of viral load that could infect someone. 

Hope this helps. 

gpnfish, take care and I hope you are well and feeling better soon.  I know it's disappointing to come down with the virus right before your cruise.  Hopefully, if not this sailing, you will be sailing soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MixerDave said:

I am confused - how can one test be more positive than another - either you test positive or you don't!

For quick antigen tests: Weak pink line vs. strong pink line.  Both count as positive, but nice to see a weakening trend.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MixerDave said:

I am confused - how can one test be more positive than another - either you test positive or you don't!  Also what does wearing a mask in a car do?

My positive test and his second positive were more positive than the control, they were obviously positive before the sample had wicked up to the control line and after the 15 minute incubation expired were darker than the control. His original positive was a fainter, but definite pink line that took a full 10 minutes to develop.

Mask in the car if you are riding with the negative person who is going on the cruise with you. My DH and I would have to drive each other if we were in that situation.

20 hours ago, gpnfish said:

Sincere best wishes for a speedy recovery….

21 hours ago, jwlane said:

Like being just a little pregnant.

Actually, it's nothing like being pregnant.

Testing positive is a function of how much viral load you have in your rapid test sample at any given time.  

You could have a very low viral load and not enough at that moment to test positive.

You could also be "on the way up" with the virus or "on the way down.  Many people don't have any symptoms and don't even know they have Covid. 

Pregnant is a yes or a no.

• Like 6