What happened to the complimentary movie channels?

ryanpatricksmom

Apologies if this has been posted already, but the internet has been even worse than usual so a search is out of the question, LOL!  We're currently on the Horizon and the complimentary movies channels are gonzo.  We were just on the Miracle a couple of weeks ago, and they were still available.  Is this fleet wide or just a Horizon thing?  It's our first time sailing her.  Honestly, it's been very rare that I was lucky enough to ever catch one of the movies from the beginning, but it was a nice option to have.

Carnival sent out a survey regarding TV service, on-demand movies, etc. a couple of months ago.  I wonder if they're in the process of upgrading (which is badly needed, the in-cabin television offerings are a joke compared to other cruise lines).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tallnthensome said:

That may work well if you're 87 .... Not so good for us with 12 and 15 year olds. 

You might be surprised.  There is a reason that they are classics.. Elizabeth Taylor classics...Courage of Lassie, Butterfield 8, Giant, 

29 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

You might be surprised.  There is a reason that they are classics.. Elizabeth Taylor classics...Courage of Lassie, Butterfield 8, Giant, 

I can appreciate them but when kids see black and white it's an instant no. They don't know who Taylor is ....... TV was pretty much useless in the cabin the last two weeks. Thank God we had an extended balcony in Alaska. 

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

"The Nutty Professor" with Eddie Murphy is a classic...the stuff they play on TCM is not something I would say is really in the average "Fun Ship" cruiser's wheelhouse...

Exactly! You advertise for a certain demographic and completely fail to provide TV movies they might want or WiFi that will allow streaming from their own devices. WiFi is always an issue on a small island--or a cruise ship!

Edited by TravelNLesa
hit send to soon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, groundloop said:

Carnival sent out a survey regarding TV service, on-demand movies, etc. a couple of months ago.  I wonder if they're in the process of upgrading (which is badly needed, the in-cabin television offerings are a joke compared to other cruise lines).

There were a few questions on the survey about whether you would be willing to pay extra for certain channels or groups of channels (sports, movies, tv comedies, etc). My guess is when they do update the tv channels they will offer a few free channels, then packages that will have a fee based on the number / types of channels you choose. Think basic cable, add a sports package, movie package, children’s package, etc.

Carnival TV used to be pretty good. Now it sucks.  I understand that if you don't cruise a lot it doesn't matter because you are enjoying all that the ship has to offer.  But when you cruise 5 or 6 times a year that TV in the cabin used to be a good way to chill.  Not anymore.

• Like 1

We were on the Magic earlier this month. The TV selection sucked!! No movies on demand that I could find and the 2 channels with movies didn’t even play continuously (and repeated the same movies so very little variety). 👎🏻

46 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

SOK. As long as Carnival still has the History Channel, I'm a happy camper! :classic_biggrin:

Our favorite series is "The Food That Built America".  Makes one realize how easy we have it, with access to almost anything we want.  The KFC show was something else!

1 hour ago, Frank12 said:

Carnival TV used to be pretty good. Now it sucks.  I understand that if you don't cruise a lot it doesn't matter because you are enjoying all that the ship has to offer.  But when you cruise 5 or 6 times a year that TV in the cabin used to be a good way to chill.  Not anymore.

Exactly.  We were on Holland America in June and 1) they had a much better television in the cabins than that sorry little thing Carnival calls a TV and  2) their free offerings blew Carnival's out of the water.  And yes, it's nice to be able to relax in the cabin and watch a movie in the evening.

Are you reading this John Heald?

Edited by groundloop
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Our favorite series is "The Food That Built America".  Makes one realize how easy we have it, with access to almost anything we want.  The KFC show was something else!

That was a great episode! I love the "Cars That Built America". I love that whole series..."that built America." 

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor

Look at it this way, the sooner they get you out of your cabin and spending money the better for Carnival.

Don't expect too much on the free side, food ,movies etc. Inside your cabin.

Thanks so much for the responses regarding the On Demand section.  I had actually thought that could be the case but when I checked the first few movies there was a fee, so I didn't think to keep looking.  It would be a lot more helpful if they had a "free" section, but whatever.  There are at least a dozen movies for free, many of them suitable for the junior cruisers.  That's the downside to losing the paper Funtimes.  That's exactly the type of information that used to be communicated.  Lesson learned.  If you're on a ship with an interactive television, there are still free movies, just no movie channel.  As another poster pointed out, it's actually an improvement....if you know where to look!

• Like 2