Labadee?

2 hours ago, Marie51 said:

Yes I know this. Someone had asked about long piers/long walks in other ports

I did.  I am the someone who asked the person complaining about their 3yo being hot in the Caribbean in August what they did with their 3yo for long piers in other ports.  

2 hours ago, Tatka said:

Is pier really that long? I have not noticed it at all.

What I cannot imagine is tendering from Oasis class ships. So they built pier.

And Caribbeans in August is a hot affair. I love Caribbeans and cruised there maybe about 35 times (not including Bahamas) , but very rare during summers.

The Labadee pier is significantly shorter than the pier in Costa Maya.

And yes, I don't cruise in the summer at all... it's already hot where I live, why would I want to go someplace even hotter?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tatka said:

And Caribbeans in August is a hot affair. I love Caribbeans and cruised there maybe about 35 times (not including Bahamas) , but very rare during summers.

It is not that long. More or less "normal" 

image.png.c9cdfba51c98332ce027272b6a4034ad.png

image.thumb.png.7ce03f4516aea17619fd22b0dd9bc591.png

• Like 5

From what I can tell via Google Earth, looks like it is about 1/3 of a mile from the end of the pier to the tram stop.  

Travelling with kids, especially younger ones, is definitely different.  I do find it unrealistic (just my opinion of course) to complain about walking down a pier and a 3yo having a meltdown because they had to walk in the heat.  

An 11yo saying they never want to go on vacation again? Because of a bad hamburger and a long walk?  And all of that at a single port stop?  Sorry, if my kid said that, it would go in one ear and out the other.  

• Like 3

On 8/22/2022 at 4:14 PM, Tatka said:

Labadee is an RCI beach port. You do not need an excursion. It is a set of picturesque beaches and somewhat nice snorkeling.

aside from snorkel boats that go out [which we like to book], any suggestions where to snorkel off the beaches at Labadee [like, say, at CocoCay where some reasonable snorkeling exists off Chill Beach there].  Anywhere like that off Labadee?   

34 minutes ago, LinRon3 said:

aside from snorkel boats that go out [which we like to book], any suggestions where to snorkel off the beaches at Labadee [like, say, at CocoCay where some reasonable snorkeling exists off Chill Beach there].  Anywhere like that off Labadee?   

I’m on the phone now, so it is not convenient to search. In this threat I posted where I snorkle 

45 minutes ago, LinRon3 said:

Best snorkeling is going to be where fishies can hide... along the rocks / breakwall off the far end of Adrenaline Beach.  However, if you've ever done an actual snorkeling excursion, you're likely to be disappointed in the quality of the snorkeling there, IMO.  

It's okay if you just want to swim and see a few fish for something to do, but you're not going to get the huge variety of marine life that you'd see at an actual reef.  

Just a heads up, the beach/ocean floor is rockier at Adrenaline Beach and the water a bit rougher, so not the best for just swimming around.  For that, Nellie's or Columbus Cove on the other (protected) side of the peninsula is better.  But if you have your own gear and just want to look around, the rocks of the breakwall at Adrenaline Beach are your best bet. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, brillohead said:

Best snorkeling is going to be where fishies can hide... along the rocks / breakwall off the far end of Adrenaline Beach.  However, if you've ever done an actual snorkeling excursion, you're likely to be disappointed in the quality of the snorkeling there, IMO.  

It's okay if you just want to swim and see a few fish for something to do, but you're not going to get the huge variety of marine life that you'd see at an actual reef.  

Just a heads up, the beach/ocean floor is rockier at Adrenaline Beach and the water a bit rougher, so not the best for just swimming around.  For that, Nellie's or Columbus Cove on the other (protected) side of the peninsula is better.  But if you have your own gear and just want to look around, the rocks of the breakwall at Adrenaline Beach are your best bet. 

Hey, Thanks brillohead. Your reply is very helpful for us.  These private islands have a lot of options for beaches, and with only a few hours, hard to know which one to go.  We love to snorkel [why I sign up for the beaches].  Not looking for established reefs off the beaches, but just something interesting [sometimes stingrays, turtles, cuttlefish...even the schooling fish interesting; never know what one will find].  Best of luck to you, thanks again.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cindyscruise said:

Do they still have the boat that takes you to Columbus Cove?  If I had young children I would just want to take them to the closest beach. Burgers - guess they are not from McDonalds!!!

The ferry is still there, but when I was there a few months ago, they only ran the ferry once, and it was mid-morning.  I got off within the first hour after clearance, and the ferry wasn't there yet.  Much faster/easier to just take a tram (single trailer only) to Columbus Cove. 

6 hours ago, joeyancho said:

Adrenaline Beach is nice.  The water is shallow and warm, so good for the kiddies,  however the bottom has some sharp rocks.  Bring your water shoes.  

The rocks are why people suggest Nellie's or Columbus for kiddies instead of Adrenaline.... more sand, rarely find a sharp rock. 

On 8/27/2022 at 9:30 AM, Tatka said:

Agree. First Cruise was over July 4 in the 1980's, and this inc Labadee. Yes in Summer it's Hot as most us know. Use to take my young Kids young as 2 on Cruises usually in Aug, they have always been great Travelers as my Grand Daughters now are

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 11:01 PM, kitkat343 said:

And then you still have a long walk back to the ship, which is where the 3 year old melted down.  And the 11 year old announced he never wanted to go on vacation again.

wow. It's all I can say.

My DS loved Labadee on his very first cruise at 3 and on his latest cruise at 11 (this June). Didn't melt down or announced that the burger was disgusting and he wanted to go to summer camp instead of cruising. He even loved the Costa Maya pier walk...

• Like 5

On 8/29/2022 at 2:45 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

wow. It's all I can say.

My DS loved Labadee on his very first cruise at 3 and on his latest cruise at 11 (this June). Didn't melt down or announced that the burger was disgusting and he wanted to go to summer camp instead of cruising. He even loved the Costa Maya pier walk...

Children develop many of their attitudes from their parents.  I am so glad he loves Labadee.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hailyesmom3 said:

You don’t need an excursion or anything booked for Labidee if you just want to enjoy a beach area right? How far is it from pier to a nice beach area? We didn’t see many options when looking at excursions.

Thanks 

That depends on what you consider a "nice beach area".  

Adrenaline Beach is immediately to the left past the buffet area.  The water is rockier there, so you'll want water shoes if you're going in the water.  There are also periodic screams from above, as the zipline passes directly over the beach.  However, there are usually fewer kids around, expecially if you move farther down the beach.

Nellie's Beach is about a third of a mile from the pier entrance.  (The tram also stops here, if you don't want to walk it.)  It's sandier/fewer rocks and gentle water (no big waves), but tends to have lots of kids and gets crowded because it's a smallish beach.  It's also the first "public" beach on the tram stop (Barefoot Beach is for suite guests only), so people tend to get off the tram there to get their beach day started ASAP.

Columbus Cove is also a sandier beach with gentle water, and there's more room to spread out because it's a bigger beach.  There's also a buffet right behind the beach area.  To take the tram to Columbus Cove, you have to get on a SINGLE TRAILER tram; the doubled-trailers only go as far as Market Square.  If you want to walk, it's just over half a mile.

Hope this helps!

LabadieMap.png

• Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 11:01 PM, kitkat343 said:

We just went there this week.    After our day at Labadee, my oldest son (age 11) announced that he never wanted to go on vacation again and requested that next year we go on vacation while he attends summer camp so he doesn't have to travel with us.  Columbus Cove beach on Labadee was quite lovely, but RC has failed to provide appropriate infrastructure to ensure that families can enjoy this location.  It was a brutally hot day, with a  long walk down the pier to get to the tram which was overwhelming for our 3 year old since we didn't bring a stroller because its hard to use a stroller at the beach.  

I think you would enjoy CocoCay more. There is still a long walk down the pier, but they have trams available. And the infrastructure is amazing. There's a great splash park for kids, a full waterpark for older kids and adults, a pool, multiple beaches. The food I had at CocoCay was among the best food I had all week. They were making fresh flour tortillas!  Highly recommended as a private island experience.

15 hours ago, brillohead said:

Nellie's Beach is about a third of a mile from the pier entrance.  (The tram also stops here, if you don't want to walk it.)  It's sandier/fewer rocks and gentle water (no big waves), but tends to have lots of kids and gets crowded because it's a smallish beach.  It's also the first "public" beach on the tram stop (Barefoot Beach is for suite guests only), so people tend to get off the tram there to get their beach day started ASAP.

LabadieMap.png

I would say that another buffet was a very short walk to the right from Nellie's beach (if facing away from the Nellie's beach water).

I would say right in the green circle. It was very close to Nellie's beach and you could see the market from the buffet. The food was nothing to write home about, but all three of us were able to find something we liked.image.thumb.png.063b782bbfe97f9ad50826a28c3b5b92.png

• Like 2