Royal’s Non Refundable Deposit (NRD) program no longer gives FCC

I’m really disappointed in Royal. It’s been our go to cruise line for almost 20 years. First cruise was in 2001. 

I just learned that as of 6/1/22, their NRD program no longer gives Future Cruise Credit (FCC) if you cancel. 
I called on 6/2/22 and put three cabins on hold for our family vacation in June of 2023. My family was ok with the date and price, so on 6/3/22 I paid the deposits for all three. 

Last week we discovered the date in June no longer worked for us, so I called Royal to cancel. I expected at most to pay the $100pp penalty fee. But no, Royal kept the whole deposit. 

They said even though I called and no one told about the new policy, it was in the terms in the reservation they sent me when I put it on hold. Even though the $100pp change penalty is there, it doesn’t say they no longer give FCC.

We are out $1500 and did not receive anything.  After I cancelled I remembered my husband and I had another cruise planned with a group. So I called Royal back, asked for Resolution dept. I requested they apply my cabin’s deposit to this cruise. No go. 

I feel like it’s a money grab. Like airlines have with  baggage and seat fees. They get the our deposit and 10 months to fill the three cabins. 

Royal could have shown some good will to a loyal customer by salvaging part of our $1500 deposit.

Don’t get taken by Royal. Online reservations does not offer an option without NRD; and over the phone the agent does not mention a non NRD option.

I can’t believe it. Almost twenty years of cruising with Royal is over. Their methods are sneaky and deceptive. 

Now we’re looking into MSC cruises. They have newer ships that leave from our area.   

• Like 1

Yeah, I am disappointed in that new policy too.  Issuing an FCC seems like the best way to keep customers happy and get them to come back if they had to change their plans for any reason.  Having to give up the entire deposit is pretty harsh.

• Like 3

Not happy with this change either. It will probably impact my willingness to commit to some future options. Until Celebrity changes their policy, we will gravitate to them.

mac_tlc

• Like 2

I never tried to cancel a cruise pre-pandemic, but from my understanding of the definition of NRD, this sounds correct to me. If you want to cancel out-right, you loose your deposit. I would believe that this would have been the result for years pre-pandemic. During COVID, they added additional flexibility to encourage people to continue to book cruises, and apparently they don't feel like they need this anymore.

However, a change should still result in the $100pp change fee. This is probably what you were thinking of when you thought you could cancel for $100pp. The change fee would be for changing your booking to a new cruise (you are booking as part of the change), and as such, it would make sense that they won't let you merge the value into another already existing booking. This I did do once pre-pandemic.

Obviously you are currently upset, but if RC has been your go-to for over 20 years, I would just sit on the existing booking until you find another cruise that suites your schedule and pay the $100pp change fee.

From my most recent updated Cruise Vacation Receipt 10 days ago:

"These deposits are non-refundable and a change fee of $100 USD per guest will apply for ship or sail date changes."

Edited by RobInMN
  • Like 5

So you can no longer pay the $100 per person change fee and move your money to another cruise ship and different date? If that is the case, it's no longer good to book ahead. Just book a month or so before when you are sure you are going to sail on that date.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

So you can no longer pay the $100 per person change fee and move your money to another cruise ship and different date? If that is the case, it's no longer good to book ahead. Just book a month or so before when you are sure you are going to sail on that date.

I am pretty sure the OP is confusing the $100pp change fee with the ability to cancel a NRD booked cruise.

• Like 4

It is possible to book with a refundable deposit online or over the phone.  After you enter all of the names, there is a radial button to select for refundable deposit (near the pre-paid gratuity and vacation protection) or on the phone you have to specifically ask for it.  My family's plans always change, so I pay the extra fee to guarantee that I can get my money back if needed.  On my most recent cruise, it was $116 per room more.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

That's what we have always  done in the past, and will do in the future 

1 hour ago, idamae3218 said:

Now we’re looking into MSC cruises. They have newer ships that leave from our area.   

Your profile location is NJ? Is this still your current area (my area too) and are we getting some MSC ships?

$100 change fee applies to MOVING a booking only. If you're cancelling the booking, then you're SOL. 

I have only had to change a sailing once, and we got the $100 fee waived. Doesn't hurt to ask, right?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, robmtx said:

Your profile location is NJ? Is this still your current area (my area too) and are we getting some MSC ships?

Ahh did a little Looking here, and yes I see Meraviglia is coming to NYC.

7 minutes ago, Scotico said:

So we just purchased refundable cruise fare instead of non-refundable.  It's a bit more but you can cancel and re-book a different cruise without a penalty.

Multiple Cruises I Booked the Refundable was $400+ more so I passed. Once in while the Refundable was Cheaper then Non...

Just curious why you didnt wait to see what would happen in the future? You had almost a year. And at that point you could have paid $100 PP and moved the cruise out to 2025 if needed. Seems like a smarter choice than just eating $1500.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Just curious why you didnt wait to see what would happen in the future? You had almost a year. And at that point you could have paid $100 PP and moved the cruise out to 2025 if needed. Seems like a smarter choice than just eating $1500.

Yeah I just don't understand sometimes. Cancel today and lose $1,500 or cancel at final payment time (sounds like in March) and lose $1,500. But by waiting 7 months to cancel, more itineraries are released, and the family may be able to regroup for another sail date. Heck, how far can you kick the can down the road? Could you pay $100 change fee in March to get on a 2024 sailing, then 90 days before that sailing, change again to a 2026? Eventually, it sounds like the OP will cruise again so I would try that strategy. 

I'd call cruise line tell them you had remorse and can you get this reinstated, then strategize a little.

In the one time we changed a sailing (mentioned already above), we knew for 6 weeks we would have to cancel. But rather calling right away, we waited on several factors to be resolved on our end, before calling in to change to a new date.

Edited by robmtx
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Hence why it's called non-refundable. That's how deposits work basically everywhere in the world.

Not exactly.

That's not how it worked for Royal from the time they were introduced to 5/31/2022. And non-refundable doesn't necessarily mean non-reuseable. And Southwest airlines considers their "Wanna Get Away" fares as non-refundable but issued reuseable $$ credits that now have no expiration date.

mac_tlc

29 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Not exactly.

That's not how it worked for Royal from the time they were introduced to 5/31/2022.

I'd like to hear from someone that flat out cancelled a cruise with NRD pre-pandemic. Everything I have seen in my past cruise statements states that you can either pay $100 change fee to change ship and/or date, or you loose your NRD to cancel. There is a cancellation schedule for how much you get back of all paid amounts above the NRD from 100% (minus NRD) before final payment to 0% within 30 days. And that hasn't really changed. No where has it ever mentioned getting any form of FCC. AFAIK, FCC only existed as part of Cruise with Confidence and the pandemic changes/promotions.

3 hours ago, idamae3218 said:

Online reservations does not offer an option without NRD;

When did this change?   I was able to book my last cruise with refundable deposit online.  I would never book NRD.  The savings isnt that great

• Like 1

3 hours ago, idamae3218 said:

Online reservations does not offer an option without NRD;

4 minutes ago, ryano said:

When did this change?   I was able to book my last cruise with refundable deposit online.  I would never book NRD.  The savings isnt that great

It didn't.  You can easily book a refundable deposit when booking online.  It is available to select on the screen immediately after you enter your personal information.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

There is a cancellation schedule for how much you get back of all paid amounts above the NRD from 100% (minus NRD) before final payment to 0% within 30 days. And that hasn't really changed. 

Yes, pre-COVID NRD was lost:

image.png.580f8d44889c3043e95f3814bc7d596b.png

Edited by Another_Critic