Looking for Recommendations on Excursions In Halifax

ladams52

We will be in Halifax for a day during our New England Canada cruise in Oct.  I have just not sure what to do in Halifax.  I know about Peggy's Cove, but am having a hard time trying to plan a day there.  Any recommendations, must dos, what not to due and any other tips? Thank you!

The ship docks at the south end of the harbor, and directly on the boardwalk. The boardwalk and the street behind the walk contain lots of shops, restaurants, snack places, beer stops and all that. It is an easy, level, comfortable walk. Assuming this is your first trip to Halifax this is what I would recommend.

• Like 1

We did this independent tour with a few other couples in 2018.  We really enjoyed it and would recommend it if you are looking for an organized tour.  I could have used more time in the cemetery to learn about the Titanic information.  All can be done independently, of course.

8 am private tour with Halifax Cruises Ship Taxi Tours

Went to Peggy’s Cove lighthouse, lots of rocks, bagpiper

Whole lobster for lunch at Ryer Lobsters Ltd.

Stopped at maple store for souvenirs

Went to the Fairview Cemetery to view the Titanic graves, impressive

City tour

We were dropped off a mile from the ship; walked back on the boardwalk to ship, stopping for ice cream

• Like 4

We as well are doing the Canada/New England cruise Oct 10. Our plan is to rent a car and do a quick trip to Peggy's Cove. Last time we were there it was too windy to enjoy. Then onto Lunenburg. I called the Maritime Museum and he said the Blue Nose will likely not be there. Very disappointing cause it wasn't there the last visit either. It is scheduled for maintenance the first 2 weeks of October and it might not be back. If time going to Fairview Cemetery . Even though I have a free meal waiting for us on the ship we are definitely  going to The Bicycle Thief for a meal.

Agree with others' suggestions, including Lunenburg, Peggy's Cove, Citadel, but please consider visiting the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic right at Halifax waterfront.   Many Titantic related articles there, including one of the wooden deck chairs from the ship.  Also, the Halifax Public Garden.  Small, but lovely.  

We (me, my husband, brother and sister-in-law) rented a car from an agency within walking distance of our dock and drove to Peggy’s Cove and then visited the cemetery where the Titanic victims are buried on our way back.  We returned the car and had lunch near the docks and then spent the afternoon at the Maritime Museum (which turned out to be our favorite activity) and walked back to the ship. Despite a drizzly day we had a lovely time.

Edited by capriccio

speaking of rentals. we only get to halifax at noon. i assume since i reserved a car that ill get 'something' but wondering do they have late drop offs?  otherwise gotta have it back by 5 and we are in town till 8

st john is 8 to 730 so plenty of time in the morning

23 hours ago, skynight said:

The ship docks at the south end of the harbor, and directly on the boardwalk. The boardwalk and the street behind the walk contain lots of shops, restaurants, snack places, beer stops and all that. It is an easy, level, comfortable walk. Assuming this is your first trip to Halifax this is what I would recommend.

I agree.  We've been to Halifax three times, and have never felt the need to go beyond what we can walk to.  The far end of the boardwalk has the Maritime Museum.  Close to the ship is the Immigration Museum.  Lots of things to see and do in between.  The Citadel, historic cemetery, gardens above.

On 8/24/2022 at 10:38 AM, IEHL said:

We as well are doing the Canada/New England cruise Oct 10. Our plan is to rent a car and do a quick trip to Peggy's Cove. Last time we were there it was too windy to enjoy. Then onto Lunenburg. I called the Maritime Museum and he said the Blue Nose will likely not be there. Very disappointing cause it wasn't there the last visit either. It is scheduled for maintenance the first 2 weeks of October and it might not be back. If time going to Fairview Cemetery . Even though I have a free meal waiting for us on the ship we are definitely  going to The Bicycle Thief for a meal.

Which ship are you on?

Oct 10 is Thanksgiving day in Halifax.

I might also add car rentals are very scarce and expensive.

Regarding the Bluenose - It is very seldom at the Maritime Museum, it's port is Lunenburg. about 90 minutes away.

When I was at Halifax I used Blue Nose Sidecar Tours.  This tour is a sidecar on a motorcycle that the driver is also your tour guide.  I was driven all around Halifax.  At the time I was there a Man and his wife both were rider/guides.  They asked up front what I wanted to see and they then laid out the tour route. 

I was met at the ship and the tour lasted a couple of hours.

That was my first time to ride in a sidecar and I really had a lot of fun.

Note:  The Wife unit decline to join in riding around in a sidecar.  She took a ship tour to Peggy Cove. 😁

Bob

7 hours ago, 4x4bob said:

When I was at Halifax I used Blue Nose Sidecar Tours.  This tour is a sidecar on a motorcycle that the driver is also your tour guide.  I was driven all around Halifax.  At the time I was there a Man and his wife both were rider/guides.  They asked up front what I wanted to see and they then laid out the tour route. 

I was met at the ship and the tour lasted a couple of hours.

That was my first time to ride in a sidecar and I really had a lot of fun.

Note:  The Wife unit decline to join in riding around in a sidecar.  She took a ship tour to Peggy Cove. 😁

Bob

Well this sounded cool. BUT, they’re no longer in operation. Glad you got to enjoy the sidecar ride! Cool idea.

2 hours ago, kluv2cruz said:

Well this sounded cool. BUT, they’re no longer in operation. Glad you got to enjoy the sidecar ride! Cool idea.

Thank you for your report.  That was sad to hear. If they were still in business and we got back up there I would have gone again.

Bob

I walked around Halifax two weeks ago on my cruise on the Caribbean Princess. I went to Point Pleasant Park, the Public Garden, the Citadel, Halifax Distillery for a rum tasting, and Salty's for the seafood platter. We had toured the Citadel several years ago, so I did not purchase a ticket to go back inside. I was there just to watch the firing of the cannon at noon and the changing of the guard. The photos are of the martello in Point Pleasant Park, the Public Garden, the changing of the guard, the rum tasting, and my seafood platter.

The distillery does tours/tastings at 1 and 3. It's very near the Maritime Museum. On a previous cruise, we did the tour at Alexander Keith's Brewery and enjoyed that a lot.

20220817_102855.jpg

20220817_111655.jpg

20220817_120146.jpg

20220817_122435.jpg

20220817_130922.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2022 at 8:45 AM, geoherb said:

I walked around Halifax two weeks ago on my cruise on the Caribbean Princess.

how are the hills to get to citadel in mobility scooter from the pier..  I mem walking 8 or more yrs ago and walking up hill..  just don't mem how bad hills where

8 hours ago, bob4cruise said:

how are the hills to get to citadel in mobility scooter from the pier..  I mem walking 8 or more yrs ago and walking up hill..  just don't mem how bad hills where

There are quite a few steep hills in Halifax. The Citadel is on a huge hill and is about 70 meters (230 feet) above the waterfront area. The website for the Citadel says, "The site is wheelchair accessible, including the ramparts, the Army Museum, most ground-level exhibits and the washrooms."