Dining - Indian and similar dishes onboard?

Wishing on a star

I am reading on another discussion about the Indian type food, and that it is recommended.

I am wondering what dishes to look for,  what nights they might be offered.

What kind of dishes are being seen on the ships.  (Regal in particular, but I know that is always changing wth staff)

I have even heard of people requesting dishes, but I wouldn't want to ask for that.  And I wouldn't know where to start to know what to ask for.

39 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I am reading on another discussion about the Indian type food, and that it is recommended.

I am wondering what dishes to look for,  what nights they might be offered.

What kind of dishes are being seen on the ships.  (Regal in particular, but I know that is always changing wth staff)

I have even heard of people requesting dishes, but I wouldn't want to ask for that.  And I wouldn't know where to start to know what to ask for.

On a lot of ships, I’ve seen Indian dishes at the buffet at lunchtime, quite often.

You could ask the Food manager at the buffet or your head waiter in the MDR if they know when it will be in the menu. 
I have noticed some on the MDR menu, but haven’t been on the Regal since the restart.

You might go on some of the roll calls for the Regal and ask or check, as sometimes people post the menus.

If you are referring to the thread about things we would like added to the menu, then I was the one who posted about Indian food, having spent a lot of time in Singapore, which has a big Indian population and cultural influence.

Since you don't want to order off menu in the MDR, try what is served in the buffet line and names of things are posted. It's low risk if you don't like it. But I'd suggest finding a Indian restaurant local to you and have a buffet lunch. Put names to things you like. An easily accessible meal might include Butter Chicken, Palak Paneer, Pakoras, on the side, Chapati.

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

Thanks!   I am from a very culinary limited area here!

While Princess usually has a decent amount of Indian offerings in the buffet, like most buffet items, they’re not the best rendition of the item. If you speak with your head waiter the night before, let them know you’re interested in trying some Indian dishes the next night. They will bring out whatever the kitchen has decided upon for that evening and will usually not take special requests (we’ve had a lot of experience with this and only on one cruise could we order specific dishes). This will give you a chance to try out some dishes while still being able to order off the regular menu if it’s not quite your cup of tea. My only problem with this has been that they’ll bring platters of these items to feed the whole table and I really have to specify that I only want a serving for one. From conversations with the head waiters, they make a certain amount of Indian each evening as there’s usually enough demand for it - should say this was true of multiple times on the Regal and once on the Sky preCovid. 

For those of you who are really interested in trying out truly authentic Indian cuisine, make friends with an Indian on your block. We love to feed people 😁 and homestyle Indian cooking is nothing like what’s offered in restaurants (eg. butter chicken is considered wedding event food. Can’t remember the last time I actually made it). And, if you’re lucky, that neighbor will be having a wedding in the family - and don’t ever turn down that invitation! 😃

• Like 1

Princess is weak on Indian, whereas I found that RC, Celebrity, and NCL have dedicated buffet Indian stations, with toppings and breads; and Carnival ships have huge vegetarian Indian options every night on the menu. Princess usually has one or two Indian dishes in the buffet, but nothing impressive. I think you should go to the dining manager on the first day and say you'd like to try some Indian food but don't know where to start. Tell him your spice tolerance and if you want vegetarian or meat, and I'm confident that the chefs, who are often Indian, will try to please you, and should give you advice. The ship might also have a dedicated Indian menu, but you again have to ask for it ahead of time, so they can have something for you to try. If you want to try some Indian ahead of your cruise, Trader Joe's usually have a good selection of Indian in frozen meals and packets, along with naan bread. 

2 hours ago, h-sar said:

While Princess usually has a decent amount of Indian offerings in the buffet, like most buffet items, they’re not the best rendition of the item. If you speak with your head waiter the night before, let them know you’re interested in trying some Indian dishes the next night. They will bring out whatever the kitchen has decided upon for that evening and will usually not take special requests (we’ve had a lot of experience with this and only on one cruise could we order specific dishes). This will give you a chance to try out some dishes while still being able to order off the regular menu if it’s not quite your cup of tea. My only problem with this has been that they’ll bring platters of these items to feed the whole table and I really have to specify that I only want a serving for one. From conversations with the head waiters, they make a certain amount of Indian each evening as there’s usually enough demand for it - should say this was true of multiple times on the Regal and once on the Sky preCovid. 

For those of you who are really interested in trying out truly authentic Indian cuisine, make friends with an Indian on your block. We love to feed people 😁 and homestyle Indian cooking is nothing like what’s offered in restaurants (eg. butter chicken is considered wedding event food. Can’t remember the last time I actually made it). And, if you’re lucky, that neighbor will be having a wedding in the family - and don’t ever turn down that invitation! 😃

Great information. Thanks!

Cheers

I don't recall seeing any Indian food on my Princess cruise (but then I wasn't looking out for it.)  But I think it seems to be a feature on most cruise lines (they recruit a lot of staff from the Indian subcontinent, plus traditionally a lot of Indians are vegetarian so it gives them lots of options for the veggie menu. What I would suggest for someone trying it for the first time would be,

Korma Curry (mild and creamy) or

Tikka Masala Curry (spicier more tomatoey sauce), with

boiled or Pilau Rice (very mildly spiced)

with sides-

Naan (flat)bread plain, garlic and coriander, or peshwari (with coconut and raisins)

Bombay potato (in medium spicy tomato and onion sauce)

and snacks-

onion bhajis ( mildly spiced onion fritters)

samosas (medium-hot spicy vegetable or meat pastries)

Avoid anything called vindaloo or phaal - these are VERY spicy.

This is just a basic example of a standard Indian restaurant meal, there are lots of indian dishes, see here for inspiration - https://sandinmysuitcase.com/popular-indian-dishes/  

What I can't do is tell you what they taste like. The characteristic of Indian cooking is to use multiple herbs and spices in dishes to create a totally unique flavour.

You should definitely try it if you get the chance.    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rj59 said:

Princess is weak on Indian, whereas I found that RC, Celebrity, and NCL have dedicated buffet Indian stations, with toppings and breads

I was amazed at the Indian station at the buffet on Celebrity Edge.  I had not seen such a broad array of Indian food offered on a cruise before (or since).  The labeling of the various offerings left a little to be desired, from the perspective of a novice on Indian cuisine.

24 minutes ago, Sea Green said:

Just seen a vlog of someone having Chicken Tikka Masala in the MDR on Sky Princess, so it seems Indian food is available. 

Although some might argue that Chicken Tikka Masala is about as Indian as Chop Suey is Chinese. In other words, it's more Indian-ish.

6 minutes ago, mom says said:

Although some might argue that Chicken Tikka Masala is about as Indian as Chop Suey is Chinese. In other words, it's more Indian-ish.

Yup, and pizza with ham and pineapple is definitely not Italian!  The Indian food on most cruise ships is a North American version.  Sorta Indian.

17 hours ago, mom says said:

17 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Yup, and pizza with ham and pineapple is definitely not Italian!  The Indian food on most cruise ships is a North American version.  Sorta Indian.

To be fair Indian-ish, sorta Indian food is still better than NO Indian food  ☺️

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mike45LC said:

No credit for trying, just condemnation.

the cook is likely Indian and you just insulted his mom!!

That my be true, but it doesn't stop the Indian food being rubbish. It's more than likely 'weakened' for passengers. Indian food on P&O UK cruise ships is 100 times better than Princess attempts. 

On 8/28/2022 at 3:00 AM, newport dave said:

Princess' attempts at Indian food are like their beer menu.. Rubbish. 

1 hour ago, newport dave said:

That my be true, but it doesn't stop the Indian food being rubbish. It's more than likely 'weakened' for passengers. Indian food on P&O UK cruise ships is 100 times better than Princess attempts. 

Have you ever ordered the "off menu" Indian food the night before? It is not "rubbish"; it is authentic and delicious!

4 minutes ago, jwattle said:

Have you ever ordered the "off menu" Indian food the night before? It is not "rubbish"; it is authentic and delicious!

The night before what?? All the Indian food I've tried on Princess has never been anywhere near proper Indian food.