Souvenir Packing Question

richbum

How do you pack breakable things for the return flight home? Bubble wrap? Wrap with your clothes? If bubble wrap...do you bring some with you or can you get in port....I'm talking mainly booze....but other things might need to be wrapped as well

I bought some olive oil and balsamic vinegar in Italy a few years ago to bring home.ย  I had planned on making the purchases so I took bubble wrap and large ziploc bags with me.ย  I wrapped each bottle in bubble wrap then placed each in a ziploc bag then nestled them amongst my clothes in my suitcase.ย  Maybe it was beginner's luck, but both bottles made it home intact.ย ย 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

I use a bubble wrap bottle holder. Got it many years ago at a winery

When I have tried to bring a bottle home, I will use a specially designed bottle wrap that may still be available at merchants who sell travel related merchandise.ย  Most of the time, unless I am driving, I don't try to bring home any wine or liquor.ย  Not worth the trouble and the great bargains of yesteryear in the Caribbean no longer exist.ย ย 

ย 

Bubble wrap for other items that I want to protect and I place those items in the middle of the suitcase surrounded by clothes.ย ย 

• Like 1

We were in Portugal in May/June.ย  We bought a bottle of wine at the Pingo Doce grocery store.ย  Same bottle a few times in different stores.ย ย 

ย 

While we were waiting at Faro Airport I went into the duty free.ย  Same wine was for sale.....at just under 3X the price I paid over the previous 3 weeks.

ย 

ย 

Edited by iancal
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, OVgirl said:

If you are bringing breakable bottles, bring a few disposable baby diapers. Put these inside the bubble wrap/plastic bag. It will absorb any accident that might happen.

We are traveling with a 1 year old...What a great idea!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OVgirl said:

If you are bringing breakable bottles, bring a few disposable baby diapers. Put these inside the bubble wrap/plastic bag. It will absorb any accident that might happen.

You are either thinking about small bottles or mega-super-absorbent diapers (which have yet to be invented).

• Haha 1

On 8/25/2022 at 12:46 PM, klfrodo said:

After a couple of failed attempts, I've decided that the money saved by buying booze and then trying to get it safely home exceeded the effort taken and now don't even bother.

This is so right on, depending on where you live the savings is not that great. The again I live very close to Delaware alcohol is cheap.