"O" large ships vs "O" smaller ships

tripperva

35 minutes ago, tripperva said:

So, back to the original question, would there be any difference in the passengers? 

Well yes, each cruise has different passengers.  Some disembark, some come aboard. 

Why would it be more competitive, they are cruise ships, not sporting events. 

1 hour ago, shepherd really said:

Well yes, each cruise has different passengers.  Some disembark, some come aboard. 

Why would it be more competitive, they are cruise ships, not sporting events. 

Competitive? Pool loungers,bar stools, MDR tables,shady spots, tour busses,window seats,check ins,theater seats and most everything else to do with cruising.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tripperva said:

So, back to the original question, would there be any difference in the passengers? Everyone on the smaller ships was very friendly. Hopefully it is not more competitive on the larger ships.

LOL

It will depend on what pax sailing on the cruise

Most we have met on either size ship haver been friendly  there are exceptions  😉

2 hours ago, tripperva said:

Competitive? Pool loungers,bar stools, MDR tables,shady spots, tour busses,window seats,check ins,theater seats and most everything else to do with cruising.

Oh dear, that does not sound fun. I think you'll like Oceania. I overheard a name-dropper once at tea, but his partner kept trying to shush him 😉

22 hours ago, tripperva said:

O is a grown up line, I’ve not seen any of those things happen.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ToxM said:

There are some exceptions but IME  it is rare  😉

One cruise  we had a couple that would go to the Sanctuary place their bag/books etc on the double lounger then leave

One morning I just happened to look out the windows ther & saw them go ashore

Later in the day we returned to the area  still the bags  were there nothing had changed

we sat in one of the loungers on the deck to get some sun

I think it was  almost 4 pm when they finally returned

Same thing everyday

On 8/25/2022 at 6:14 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Time for Oceania Trivia (I.e., trivia about O):

Without looking it up (honor system please):

We all know what the “O” in O Class stands for. But, what does the “R” in R Class stand for?

Another bit of trivia..Does anyone know the original name of Regatta with Oceania??

Jancruz1

2 hours ago, Lady Meer said:

I prefer the PH suites on the R ships purely for the larger, full width window. 

I like them for the shower…I wouldn’t be able to function in the smaller bathroom. The window is lovely, the whole space in the Sirena PH is lovely. 

30 minutes ago, What A Market said:

I think it was called R1 (or R something).

If it was the first of the R ships built, then it was R1.

This could get confusing, R1 is Insignia, it was the second ship Oceania acquired in 2003. R2 is Regatta, that Oceania acquired in 2002, but was originally called Insignia. In 2003 they changed the name of R2 to Regatta, and then named R1 Insignia. Confused yet?

• Haha 4

46 minutes ago, ORV said:

This could get confusing, R1 is Insignia, it was the second ship Oceania acquired in 2003. R2 is Regatta, that Oceania acquired in 2002, but was originally called Insignia. In 2003 they changed the name of R2 to Regatta, and then named R1 Insignia. Confused yet?

You and Lyn are absolutely correct..I never did find out why they reversed the names..so the Regatta was originally the Insignia

Jancruz1

• Thanks 1

On 8/25/2022 at 10:12 PM, ORV said:

Yes, many people will say Regatta, but, many think it is for Renaissance.  The problem comes from the Princess ships, which are now Oceania ships,) Serena) Which was a Princess ship, but which is originally a Renasissance  ship, but is now considered a R ship. Many people refer to the R ships as the Renassiance ships. 

I think I'm being unnecessarily technical here (and possibly wrong to boot) but the "R" ships were built by Renaissance.  And I always heard that they preferred to designate the ships as R1, R2, etc.  The "R" obviously being for Renaissance.  When Oceania started up with the R1 (Insignia) and R2 (Regatta) I suppose they chose to designate the "R" ships as Regatta class.  Makes sense.  Regatta (I think) was originally supposed to be the first ship launched as an Oceania vessel but they ended up switching Insignia into the first ... or was it vice versa?  They were clear about this when it happened but that was more than 20 years ago so I admit that I'm foggy on the details ...  I remember taking a bridge tour back in the early days on Regatta and they still had the "R2" schematic hanging on the wall.

I believe when specifically referring to the Oceania ships the R would be for Regatta Class. When referring to the 8 ships as a whole as R ships then I would say it’s for Renaissance. I wonder what Azamara refers to their class of ships as?

On 8/26/2022 at 12:16 PM, tripperva said:

I guess it only appears competitive if some else is already on a stool, window seat etc and you want it. Most things are early bird gets the worm. Saving and trying to reserve is another story and you really don’t see much of that on either ship. I might be saving the bar stool next to me if my wife was sitting there and got up to do something else momentarily, but I wouldn’t come in by myself and take two stools and my wife come in 20 minutes later. 

• Like 2

On 8/26/2022 at 10:16 AM, tripperva said:

In my experience, the difference in passengers depend more on itinerary than on the factor of O vs R ships. That said, many of the longer/multi-segment and unusual itineraries are on R ships that can get into smaller harbors (e.g., the ATW ship is Insignia). And IMO, you’ll find a larger percentage of die-hard O regulars on the R ships. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/27/2022 at 8:32 AM, LHT28 said:

There are some exceptions but IME  it is rare  😉

One cruise  we had a couple that would go to the Sanctuary place their bag/books etc on the double lounger then leave

One morning I just happened to look out the windows ther & saw them go ashore

Later in the day we returned to the area  still the bags  were there nothing had changed

we sat in one of the loungers on the deck to get some sun

I think it was  almost 4 pm when they finally returned

Same thing everyday

I would have moved their things,

Jancruz1

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

All are nice.  Sailed on smaller R ships several times on both Oceania and Azamara. Love the smaller size except for the small cabins and tiny bathrooms.   The Oceania larger ships, Riviera and Marina, are fabulous.  The cabins are like suites. There is lots of space and a gorgeous roomy bathroom.  Once we sailed on Marina, we seldom sail on the smaller ships.  We only sail on R ships for itinerary.  

• Like 5

On 8/27/2022 at 10:25 AM, ToxM said:

I’ll never forget our favorite CD Barr kicking an entire team out of Trivia for blatant cheating. Prohibited them from participating in any other Trivia events for the rest of the cruise! 

Other CDs just allow people to Google answers without impediment. Took the fun of the competition for us, so we rarely participate. It’s amazing, to us,

that some keep questions and answers from multiple past cruises on their phones so to get answers and gain more points. O points can’t be that precious, so trying to combat short term memory loss is the obvious issue.

26 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I’ll never forget our favorite CD Barr kicking an entire team out of Trivia for blatant cheating. Prohibited them from participating in any other Trivia events for the rest of the cruise! 

Other CDs just allow people to Google answers without impediment. Took the fun of the competition for us, so we rarely participate. It’s amazing, to us,

that some keep questions and answers from multiple past cruises on their phones so to get answers and gain more points. O points can’t be that precious, so trying to combat short term memory loss is the obvious issue.

Sorry, but I will tell you as an (ex-) Professor, if one keeps repeating one’s exams/trivia questions, we shouldn’t be surprised when the below avg do amazingly well. Blame the (lazy) trivia/test-giver, not well-prepared test-taker.

2 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Sorry, but I will tell you as an (ex-) Professor, if one keeps repeating one’s exams/trivia questions, we shouldn’t be surprised when the below avg do amazingly well. Blame the (lazy) trivia/test-giver, not well-prepared test-taker.

I’m an old fart. Cheating on tests, or plagiarism on papers, resulted in a trip to the Dean of Men. If the first trip didn’t yield an exit from the school, the second absolutely did.

Memorizing questions and answers from past tests isn’t cheating. Downloading all of them on your cell phone and calling them up during the test is, at least to old farts like myself. Perhaps at your “ institution of higher education “ is was totally acceptable. Different era.

1 minute ago, pinotlover said:

I’m an old fart. Cheating on tests, or plagiarism on papers, resulted in a trip to the Dean of Men. If the first trip didn’t yield an exit from the school, the second absolutely did.

Memorizing questions and answers from past tests isn’t cheating. Downloading all of them on your cell phone and calling them up during the test is, at least to old farts like myself. Perhaps at your “ institution of higher education “ is was totally acceptable. Different era.

No, I agree w you. I studied past exams knowing which professors repeated questions from previous years. With my good short-term memory, I past many a test.

My students were not so lucky!