Vegetarian and Coeliac - advice please

My 16 year old son who is a very fussy vegetarian has recently been diagnosed with coeliac disease. We are on Symphony next August. I know this is well in advance, but I'm a bit of a control freak and I like to be organised, so here's my question:

Would an email to customer service to make them aware be enough, or is this more of a special request due to the (possible) need for special dishes?

I have had a look at menus, which I realise may change between now and August 2023, but one thing that I noticed is that dishes are either gluten free or vegetarian, but rarely both. Factor into the equation that he's really picky. He won't eat mushrooms, for example, so a mushroom risotto or soup would be out. He loves pasta, but of course at home we are now having rice or konjac pasta rather than durum pasta. He's gutted that he won't be able to indulge in Sorrento's. 

We are very new to this condition so if any coeliac-vegetarians out there have any advice for navigating cruise ship menus, I would be very grateful. 

You can fill out the Special Needs form, but honestly, the MDR is VERY allergy-friendly.  In fact, the first thing the waiter will ask you on the first night is, "Does anyone have any food allergies or restrictions?"  

The headwaiter can bring over the next night's menu every evening and your son can pre-order his meal, special-made with attention to allergies and cross-contamination.  The various dishes can be modified, too -- he can pick and choose from the various items and make his own meal.... asparagus from one dish, polenta from another, french fries from another, etc.  

Basically, if they have it available on the ship, they will be happy to make it for him.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, gingerpeaches said:

My 16 year old son who is a very fussy vegetarian has recently been diagnosed with coeliac disease. We are on Symphony next August. I know this is well in advance, but I'm a bit of a control freak and I like to be organised, so here's my question:

Would an email to customer service to make them aware be enough, or is this more of a special request due to the (possible) need for special dishes?

Read the reviews by @CatLadyFemme

• Like 2

I’m a vegetarian and gluten-free. I’m sailing on 9/10/22 on AOS so I will come back and let you know how it went.  It’s a challenge eating out in general but I make it work so hopefully I can here as well.  I did switch from MTD to Traditional Dining in order to have the same staff nighty which I “hear” is supposed to be more helpful when dealing w dietary restrictions. 

• Like 3

My sister has celiac disease and eats gluten free. She talked to the head waiter the first night at dinner and she took care of everything. Every night she would bring my sister the menu for the next nights dinner to choose something and then they would make sure the chef cooked it to her specifications. It’s no problem. 

The address for the dining room is rcldining@rccl.com

send them an email 2 to 3 weeks before your cruise just to notify them that you have someone with special needs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gingerpeaches said:

I have had a look at menus, which I realise may change between now and August 2023, but one thing that I noticed is that dishes are either gluten free or vegetarian, but rarely both. Factor into the equation that he's really picky. He won't eat mushrooms, for example, so a mushroom risotto or soup would be out. He loves pasta, but of course at home we are now having rice or konjac pasta rather than durum pasta. He's gutted that he won't be able to indulge in Sorrento's. 

We are very new to this condition so if any coeliac-vegetarians out there have any advice for navigating cruise ship menus, I would be very grateful. 

There are gluten free pizzas in Sorrento's, so no problem there. You should go to the Special needs section and register him as vegetarian and celiac. In the Windjammer, request a chef to walk around with him to find the dishes he will eat. If there is concern about cross contamination, they can get him a fresh serving. They make several different kinds of gf bread, there are cookies behind the counter that he can request  If you are on a ship with a cupcake shop, one or two kinds each day are gf. There is gf pasta easily available. Each night in the MDR, he will be given a menu for the next night so he can choose his food. My daughter takes a cup and spoon out of the WJ so she can get the soft serve ice cream. He can request gf pancakes in the MDR in the morning. Has he seen the vegetarian specific menus? He may eat the same food over and over if he is picky, but he should never go hungry. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

There are gluten free pizzas in Sorrento's, so no problem there. You should go to the Special needs section and register him as vegetarian and celiac. In the Windjammer, request a chef to walk around with him to find the dishes he will eat. If there is concern about cross contamination, they can get him a fresh serving. They make several different kinds of gf bread, there are cookies behind the counter that he can request  If you are on a ship with a cupcake shop, one or two kinds each day are gf. There is gf pasta easily available. Each night in the MDR, he will be given a menu for the next night so he can choose his food. My daughter takes a cup and spoon out of the WJ so she can get the soft serve ice cream. He can request gf pancakes in the MDR in the morning. Has he seen the vegetarian specific menus? He may eat the same food over and over if he is picky, but he should never go hungry. 

All this information is amazing! Thank you so much. He's trying really hard to educate himself about what is and isn't suitable for him to eat, and having all this knowledge will make his holiday so much better. I knew about the gf breads but I had no idea about all the other gf options on board. Absolutely brilliant. 

• Like 2

Just now, gingerpeaches said:

All this information is amazing! Thank you so much. He's trying really hard to educate himself about what is and isn't suitable for him to eat, and having all this knowledge will make his holiday so much better. I knew about the gf breads but I had no idea about all the other gf options on board. Absolutely brilliant. 

You are welcome, it's my daughter's favorite type of vacation because of how safe it is. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nycfa said:

I did switch from MTD to Traditional Dining in order to have the same staff nighty which I “hear” is supposed to be more helpful when dealing w dietary restrictions. 

We're currently on MTD and we are part of a larger group of 8. If we have to switch, we'll switch, if that's easier for gf options. I look forward to reading about your experience and then we can move forward from there. 

I would alert them before you go, that way they can make arrangements to offer things he can eat.  Usually they're really good with this.  Years ago I cruised with my sister's friend who was vegan.  We called ahead of time to let them know and they had a vegan menu ready and waiting for her every night in the MDR.  

As far as the Coeliac, let them know ahead of time.  That way, they can get any supplies they need and do some research if necessary to find foods that are friendly for that condition.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I would alert them before you go, that way they can make arrangements to offer things he can eat.  Usually they're really good with this.  Years ago I cruised with my sister's friend who was vegan.  We called ahead of time to let them know and they had a vegan menu ready and waiting for her every night in the MDR.  

As far as the Coeliac, let them know ahead of time.  That way, they can get any supplies they need and do some research if necessary to find foods that are friendly for that condition.  

Royal already has a vegan menu available every night, and they are well-versed in gluten-free menus as well.  I've been told by friends who are gluten-free that Royal's GF breads are the best they've ever had.

My mum who is a gluten free coeliac has cruised twice with royal. On her first cruise on Oasis there was plenty of choice and the chefs were amazing. Cooked her fresh pizza at Sorrento's as has been mentioned and around the buffet every meal was labelled GF etc. They even made her a nice GF curry.  Gluten free bread etc on request for lunch.

However last weeks trip on Brilliance it was poor. Labeling was hit and miss, the MDR staff didnt know much or help much and there was plenty of cross contamination in the buffet. Hopefully it was down to lack of staff training and awareness.

The MDRs are better for dealing with allergies then the buffet but we dont often eat in the MDR so our hit and miss experience is limited to the windjammer.

57 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

My mum who is a gluten free coeliac has cruised twice with royal. On her first cruise on Oasis there was plenty of choice and the chefs were amazing. Cooked her fresh pizza at Sorrento's as has been mentioned and around the buffet every meal was labelled GF etc. They even made her a nice GF curry.  Gluten free bread etc on request for lunch.

However last weeks trip on Brilliance it was poor. Labeling was hit and miss, the MDR staff didnt know much or help much and there was plenty of cross contamination in the buffet. Hopefully it was down to lack of staff training and awareness.

The MDRs are better for dealing with allergies then the buffet but we dont often eat in the MDR so our hit and miss experience is limited to the windjammer.

My celiac daughter has only sailed on NCL, but it seems like the lines are very similar. Every night at dinner, not only did she order the dinner for the following night, but she ordered breakfast that was delivered to her in the buffet every morning, she just called before leaving the cabin to let them know she was on her way. It was great!

I agree with the poster who said there is an advantage to having the same waitstaff every night. DH is celiac and has found the headwaiter and maitre'd to be very helpful. If your son likes pasta, they will make it to order in the Windjammer at lunch or dinner; since the GF pasta isn't precooked, there will be a 15 minute or so wait. The maitre'd also pre-ordered some selections for him on request each night after looking at the menu for the next day.

Some GF items may not be on the buffet lines, but he can ask for the bread/roll of the day. There are always some GF desserts in the Windjammer in a refrigerated case. He should not feel shy about asking for these things even if he doesn't see them. Dessert in the MDR is usually ice cream with berries or creme brulee.

DH's favorite breakfast item from the buffet Asian section is congee, a rice porridge  in which he puts a freshly cooked egg. This may not always be on offer but grits are available daily(corn) and they are also great with an egg on top.

Pizza is a great option from Sorrentos. They make it to order, with whatever toppings you like. It takes a few minutes, but it is available all day. Park cafe makes great salads, with his choice of toppings, also available in the buffet.

Have a great cruise, Barb

• Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 2:52 AM, gingerpeaches said:

My DW has nut allergies.  We always tell them each booking and contact the MDR staff as soon as we’re on ship.  They are great, they make sure her food is safe.  Best wishes. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, barb in ga said:

I agree with the poster who said there is an advantage to having the same waitstaff every night. DH is celiac and has found the headwaiter and maitre'd to be very helpful. If your son likes pasta, they will make it to order in the Windjammer at lunch or dinner; since the GF pasta isn't precooked, there will be a 15 minute or so wait. The maitre'd also pre-ordered some selections for him on request each night after looking at the menu for the next day.

Some GF items may not be on the buffet lines, but he can ask for the bread/roll of the day. There are always some GF desserts in the Windjammer in a refrigerated case. He should not feel shy about asking for these things even if he doesn't see them. Dessert in the MDR is usually ice cream with berries or creme brulee.

DH's favorite breakfast item from the buffet Asian section is congee, a rice porridge  in which he puts a freshly cooked egg. This may not always be on offer but grits are available daily(corn) and they are also great with an egg on top.

Pizza is a great option from Sorrentos. They make it to order, with whatever toppings you like. It takes a few minutes, but it is available all day. Park cafe makes great salads, with his choice of toppings, also available in the buffet.

Have a great cruise, Barb

I make congee at home. One of our favourite breakfasts. The grits, I'm sorry to say, are nasty. I've had good grits and Royal Caribbean's grits are nothing like good grits.

He's excited about the pizza! He misses his favourite take out pizza. 

On 8/28/2022 at 7:40 AM, gingerpeaches said:

We're currently on MTD and we are part of a larger group of 8. If we have to switch, we'll switch, if that's easier for gf options. I look forward to reading about your experience and then we can move forward from there. 

Even with MTD, most of the time you can get your same wait staff and at a minimum your head waiter of your section.

They will take care of him

jc