Concierge Lounge vs. Diamond+

ggo85

3 hours ago, island lady said:

On Harmony, in an OS...the drinks in the SL were charged to our vouchers...even though it was official "happy hour" time and we were in a full suite.  I did mention it to them several times...didn't seem to matter.

Being Pinnacle, we get six per person...which was more than enough for us anyway.  But if we had gone over, and were charged...I would not have been such a happy person.  😕

That happened to me in May as well, but only once.  After that I made sure to mention when I ordered one that I was in an OS. 

• Like 2

I plan to make a point of asking the CL host/ess on the very first day whether, for full suite guests, drinks in the CL count against the voucher total.  Based on that, I'll make sure the servers know, as I'm sure they only do what they're told by the CL host/ess.  

I can live with it either way (obviously prefer that CL drinks not count) but want it to be clear up front.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peachy59 said:

That doesn't seem right. We are only Diamond, but will be in a suite on Harmony later this year. I would like to know who to speak to if this happens, because we will not be happy campers either if we're in the suite lounge during Happy Hour and they use our vouchers. Did you speak to the Concierge?

I agree.  If I were in a suite and they used a voucher during happy hour, I would have spoken to someone to get it corrected.  Assume concierge would be the person.  No wonder why people are confused about these issues.  You tell someone that it is "free" during happy hour then they get charged and just figure you were wrong in your answer.  My husband can easily go use up his 5 drink vouchers  plus happy hour drinks.  Me - not so much.  

I think the issue comes down to whether your benefits as a suite guest and your loyalty benefits are distinct or overlapping.  

Passengers would argue that they are distinct.  You get X benefits for loyalty, regardless of whether you are in an inside cabin or the most expensive suite.  You get Y benefits for booking a full suite, whether it's your first cruise or your 101st.  If both apply, you get both.  

If RCCL wants to make them overlapping, they should make clear that you can only get one set of benefits -- whether drinks or internet or anything else.  And the policy should be consistent across the fleet.

• Like 1

Just now, ggo85 said:

I think the issue comes down to whether your benefits as a suite guest and your loyalty benefits are distinct or overlapping.  

Passengers would argue that they are distinct.  You get X benefits for loyalty, regardless of whether you are in an inside cabin or the most expensive suite.  You get Y benefits for booking a full suite, whether it's your first cruise or your 101st.  If both apply, you get both.  

If RCCL wants to make them overlapping, they should make clear that you can only get one set of benefits -- whether drinks or internet or anything else.  And the policy should be consistent across the fleet.  Of course, that would really annoy their suite guests who might be less inclined to book suites -- and I'm guessing they don't want to do that!

5 hours ago, ValerieJo said:

Not true.  We were recently on Enchantment of the Seas.  As Diamond Plus we were able to use the Concierge Lounge.  Our drinks did count against our 5 drink allowance.  I will add we were not in a suite if that makes a difference.

As it should be. What's the attraction of the CL over the DL if not staying in a full suite? We prefer the DL over the CL on the class ships we've cruise on. We didn't have access to the CL on our last cruise (March) as non suite cruisers but we preferred the location of the DL over the CL on the Explorer. 

• Like 2

I hate to sound dense but what happens if you're a D+ in a suite, use up your 5 vouchers and then head to the SL for more drinks? Would you be charged for your cocktails? Asking for a friend. I would never drink that much...

Edited by CruisinNole
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CruisinNole said:

I hate to sound dense but what happens if you're a D+ in a suite, use up your 5 vouchers and then head to the SL for more drinks? Would you be charged for your cocktails? Asking for a friend. I would never drink that much...

We are Diamond + and sailing in a Grand Suite on Quantum.  Our ‘Happy Hour’ drinks in the Suite Lounge are not charged against our five free drinks.  Drinks in the Diamond Club and Coastal Kitchen are charged against our vouchers. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ggo85 said:

I plan to make a point of asking the CL host/ess on the very first day whether, for full suite guests, drinks in the CL count against the voucher total.  Based on that, I'll make sure the servers know, as I'm sure they only do what they're told by the CL host/ess.  

I can live with it either way (obviously prefer that CL drinks not count) but want it to be clear up front.  

The information will be clearly explained in the email you will receive from the concierge prior to the cruise and in the letter that is in your cabin.  

6 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

The information will be clearly explained in the email you will receive from the concierge prior to the cruise and in the letter that is in your cabin.  

In the Lounge, coffee and tea are available throughout the day.  Each evening, between 5:00 pm and 8:00 pm, hors d'oeuvres, petit fours and complimentary wine, spirits, beer, and soft drinks are available for our Suite guests.

This is word for word from the concierge email. It doesn't mention beer/wine/soda being available during the day, but people say it is. So the letter is still a bit confusing to me. I'll know more on Sunday 😉

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, davekathy said:

As it should be. What's the attraction of the CL over the DL if not staying in a full suite? We prefer the DL over the CL on the class ships we've cruise on. We didn't have access to the CL on our last cruise (March) as non suite cruisers but we preferred the location of the DL over the CL on the Explorer. 

I was clarifying for the poster who said that vouchers were not used in the CL when in fact they are if you are not in a suite.   We liked the CL lounge on Enchantment as we were familiar with the Concierge.  He had previously been the Concierge in the Diamond Lounge where we first met him.  He was the only reason for us to go to the CL.  Other than that, it really doesn't matter which lounge we go to.  Hope we can meet up for a drink in one of the lounges soon!  🙂

Edited by ValerieJo

1 minute ago, robmtx said:

In the Lounge, coffee and tea are available throughout the day.  Each evening, between 5:00 pm and 8:00 pm, hors d'oeuvres, petit fours and complimentary wine, spirits, beer, and soft drinks are available for our Suite guests.

This is word for word from the concierge email. It doesn't mention beer/wine/soda being available during the day, but people say it is. So the letter is still a bit confusing to me. I'll know more on Sunday 😉

There is a letter in your cabin that goes into more detail.  If you have a question, send an email to the concierge and ask.  The emails I have received always says to contact them if you have questions.

24 minutes ago, CruisinNole said:

Your friend sounds like someone I'd get along with.  Ha ha

• Haha 1

So there are free soft drinks in the CL all day?  I ask b/c I'm a huge Diet Coke drinker.  I didn't want to use all my drink vouchers on soda so was thinking of getting the soda package in addition.  But if I can access soda in the CL in the afternoons, I'm golden!!

5 minutes ago, ggo85 said:

So there are free soft drinks in the CL all day?  I ask b/c I'm a huge Diet Coke drinker.  I didn't want to use all my drink vouchers on soda so was thinking of getting the soda package in addition.  But if I can access soda in the CL in the afternoons, I'm golden!!

I’m a pop drinker too.  I don’t drink coffee.  However, with the new voucher system, you need to use a voucher for soda.  Of course, if you are in a suite it may be different.  I just buy the soda package as it’s just more convenient for me.

10 minutes ago, ggo85 said:

Only on certain ships.

2 hours ago, robmtx said:

Please keep us posted.  DH is wondering if he can get a can of soda in the SL during the day. 

3 hours ago, imola said:

Please keep us posted.  DH is wondering if he can get a can of soda in the SL during the day. 

Get cans of soda in the SL during the evening hours and put them in your fridge...This works easy for us. Bottles of water also.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Get cans of soda in the SL during the evening hours and put them in your fridge...This works easy for us. Bottles of water also.

That does not work on Quantum.  There are no cans of soda in the lounge.  I guess you could order them from the waiters like you can bottles of water. 

18 hours ago, island lady said:

We did not have access as D+ on Brilliance out of Tampa, before shut down.  Nor on Vision after that.  

Do love the vouchers though now...happy hour is any hour, any bar, any where.  😉  We rarely use the lounges any longer...except for morning coffee.  

We sailed Radiance right before shut down and was told D+ were welcomed the cruise before. We were the first D+ to get the boot from CL unless sailing in a GS or better. Though our cards still opened the CL for the next 31 days we were on (had to try it 🤫).  The Diamond event at the club in the aft was pretty good replacement.

We still use the DL before and after dinner to meet people on Navigator.  Did that in March and will be still going into DL for our cruises that start this coming Friday.  Will visit DL and see if any friends are there. If no one there, just head on up to the SL as there is at least a nice view up there.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Peachy59 said:

That doesn't seem right. We are only Diamond, but will be in a suite on Harmony later this year. I would like to know who to speak to if this happens, because we will not be happy campers either if we're in the suite lounge during Happy Hour and they use our vouchers. Did you speak to the Concierge?

No...since free was free (with vouchers or Suite perk) I did not bother.  But would have gone to SL concierge if it did come into play.  

20 hours ago, davekathy said:

Me too....but that CL was "oh so convenient" for being just around the corner from our cabin on EX for my early morning coffee and Latte.  😉  Otherwise...it was the only time I used it.  

Last month, on Jewel in the concierge club, we were charged for one Pinnacle voucher drink every night.  I questioned the bartender, he said it was for "tracking purposes". It showed up as a $.00 charge on my seapass.  Same as a voucher drink.

I didn't bother to pursue it with the concierge.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steveru621 said:

Last month, on Jewel in the concierge club, we were charged for one Pinnacle voucher drink every night.  I questioned the bartender, he said it was for "tracking purposes". It showed up as a $.00 charge on my seapass.  Same as a voucher drink.

I didn't bother to pursue it with the concierge.

Were you in a suite also?

• Like 1