Starting Sept. 6, 2022 - Simplified Cruising

Roz

Has this been discussed?  I saw it on HAL' s website.  If I understand it correctly, essentially testing requirements are gone and unvaxed passengers may sail. Unvaxed passengers still have to present a negative test.

Simplified Cruising

We have relaxed our global protocols and travel requirements. *Starting on Sept. 6, 2022, all travelers are invited to cruise with us, regardless of vaccination status.

Vaccinations are not required on most voyages. Vaccinated guests will no longer have to test before boarding and only need to show proof of vaccination. Unvaccinated guests are welcome aboard with a self-administered COVID-19 test taken within 3 days of embarkation.

Some voyages require Enhanced Protocols. Before you cruise, check our  Enhanced Protocols PDF to find out if if your voyage requires additional health regulation requirements.

If your voyage is not included on the Enhanced Protocols PDF, you can learn more about guidelines specific to your destination here

Edited by Roz

It has been discussed - but it really depends on what itinerary you are on. A number of sailings still require vaccination (full - meaning at least one booster) and testing.

They are all listed under the “Enhanced protocols”

Along with the itineraries mentioned by @spleenstomper the enhanced protocols also affect Panama canal cruises and trans oceanic cruises.

• Like 3

I really think they need to differentiate the cruises on their website when you do a simple search. They should highlight cruises that allow self-testing (for example) in a different color and other cruises should be clearly labeled as having more stringent boarding requirements before you even start clicking on the cruise to start booking it. People are going to book cruises and show up at the pier untested or unvaccinated whey they will need to be. This would also be a good marketing strategy. Some cruises could be advertised as with Covid precautions.

• Like 6

Now I'm totally confused.  😁  I went back on the HAL website and looked at my specific cruise from Vancouver on Oct. 2 and it looks like I need to be vaccinated with a booster and also have a negative test.  

Does anyone besides me have trouble keeping up with the ever changing Covid requirements of various cruise lines and countries?  Not to mention monitoring changing flights schedules.  

I have 3 cruises in the next 6 months and everything has to fall into perfect place starting 3 days ahead of embarkation.  One misstep and everything falls apart.

• Like 3

I arrive in Vancouver on Oct. 1 and sail on Oct. 2.  Is the testing requirement a HAL rule or Canadian Gov't. rule?  Do I time the test based on arrival in Canada or ship embarkation?  Do I need test results to fill out the ArriveCAN application?

Sorry to keep posting but I'm a nervous wreck trying to figure everything out.  Turns out my Oct. 2 Noordam sailing isn't on the Enhanced Protocol list, but on the next page it shows Enhanced Protocols for Canada and requires testing.  Where does that leave me?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Roz said:

Sorry to keep posting but I'm a nervous wreck trying to figure everything out.  Turns out my Oct. 2 Noordam sailing isn't on the Enhanced Protocol list, but on the next page it shows Enhanced Protocols for Canada and requires testing.  Where does that leave me?

It appears to me that you have to have a Covid test (thank you Canada!):

TESTING: All guests aged 5 and older are required to take either a PCR COVID-19 test within 72 hours prior to embarkation or a medically observed antigen COVID-19 test within 2 days of embarkation.

• Like 1

@0106, I've looked at the document several times and that's what has me confused.  My cruise (Noordam, Oct. 2 from Vancouver, Pacific Coastal) isn't the enhanced list, but page 2,  as @DaveOKC quoted, says this for Canada: TESTING: All guests aged 5 and older are required to take either a PCR COVID-19 test within 72 hours prior to embarkation or a medically observed antigen COVID-19 test within 2 days of embarkation.

Where does that put me?  Used to be cruising was an easy form of travel.  Not anymore.  

Edited by Roz

@RozForyour cruise departing from Canada, you must be fully vaccinated. and boosted if your final dose of an approved/authorized COVID-19 vaccine is older than 5 months to be considered “fully vaccinated.” Only one booster dose is needed to be considered fully vaccinated.

You must take either a PCR COVID-19 test within 72 hours prior to embarkation or a medically observed antigen COVID-19 test within 2 days of embarkation.

• Like 3

Hi!   Good thing I have twenty lawyers working on this for me!!!!!  Since there have been so MANY breakout cases among vaccinated people doesn't it follow to test everyone prior to boarding vaccinated or not?  For the record, I am opposed to any mandates.  Think it's time to get back to normal.

Deck Chair.

Edited by deck chair
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Roz said:

I arrive in Vancouver on Oct. 1 and sail on Oct. 2.  Is the testing requirement a HAL rule or Canadian Gov't. rule?  Do I time the test based on arrival in Canada or ship embarkation?  Do I need test results to fill out the ArriveCAN application?

Hi Roz

i don’t think part of your question has been answer yet.  You do not add the test results to arrive can.  Arrivecan does not require it.  My recommendation if you have never filled it out yet is to create an account today either via your desktop web version or your phone app version.  You prefill with proof of vaccination as well as your travel documents, I.e. passport.  You can create one account and add as many  travellers as need be.  That way you have it all done, so that three days before your trip to Canada you just add the date you are arriving, that part takes two minutes or less, that is if you have already loaded above information.  You may get randomly tested on arrival in Vancouver, twice now people I know got selected for the random testing while waiting for their checked bags.  If possible try to do carryon only.    Testing is Canada rule, two days antigen,  test at hone on Sept. 30th and good to go. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lido deck main said:

Hi Roz

i don’t think part of your question has been answer yet.  You do not add the test results to arrive can.  Arrivecan does not require it.  My recommendation if you have never filled it out yet is to create an account today either via your desktop web version or your phone app version.  You prefill with proof of vaccination as well as your travel documents, I.e. passport.  You can create one account and add as many  travellers as need be.  That way you have it all done, so that three days before your trip to Canada you just add the date you are arriving, that part takes two minutes or less, that is if you have already loaded above information.  You may get randomly tested on arrival in Vancouver, twice now people I know got selected for the random testing while waiting for their checked bags.  If possible try to do carryon only.    Testing is Canada rule, two days antigen,  test at hone on Sept. 30th and good to go. 

I don’t think you are in the clear if you don’t have checked bags.  I read the Canadian board on occasion and it seems to happen when you go through customs which makes sense.

1 hour ago, ChinaShrek said:

I really think they need to differentiate the cruises on their website when you do a simple search. They should highlight cruises that allow self-testing (for example) in a different color and other cruises should be clearly labeled as having more stringent boarding requirements before you even start clicking on the cruise to start booking it. People are going to book cruises and show up at the pier untested or unvaccinated whey they will need to be. This would also be a good marketing strategy. Some cruises could be advertised as with Covid precautions.

Yes! A link specific to each cruise that clearly states what the requirements are would be very helpful. There appears to be a few countries with more rigorous requirements and I think cruise lines should put in the effort to make sure that their customers can figure out exactly what is needed to go on those cruises.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

So let me see if I understand the Enhanced Protocols.  If I board the ship as part of a Collectors Voyage, I need to get tested.  However, the next guy in line boards the same ship for only the first leg doesn't need to get tested.   I guess I just don't undertsand.😏

If it eases your mind 😉 I'm on the first leg of a Collectors Voyage. And as of the on Sept 1st published Enhanced Protocol I DO need to get tested. Bad news for me, but it kinda makes sense.

14 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

Yes! A link specific to each cruise that clearly states what the requirements are would be very helpful. There appears to be a few countries with more rigorous requirements and I think cruise lines should put in the effort to make sure that their customers can figure out exactly what is needed to go on those cruises.

Another thing HAL forgets to mention that could affect quite a number of folks this fall/winter - Grand Turk won't let you off the ship unless you're vaccinated.  

Edited by PACD_JG
  • Like 1

Just now, PACD_JG said:

Another thing HAL forgets to mention that could effect quite a number of folks this fall/winter - Grand Turk won't let you off the ship unless you're vaccinated.  

See, that's one I wasn't aware of. I was looking at a Caribbean cruise to use some FCC and nowhere on the website did I see anything like that. I am vaccinated but have decided to let the FCC expire. I just don't want the all of the hassles, chances of rule changes and quarantine that goes along with cruising at this time.  We'll stick with independent land travel for the foreseeable future.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Roz said:

We are on that cruise, we had to change our testing plans since we are flying in on Sept. 30.  Our plans were to test in our home city on Sept. 29 now with this change we will have to test in Vancouver and we are going to do it in the afternoon of our arrival.

1 hour ago, Sea42 said:

We'll stick with independent land travel for the foreseeable future.

Hate to say it but after this upcoming cruise which has over $6000 in FCC invested in it, we will probably cancel the Spring cruise that was part of our larger land trip in Europe and just convert it all to a land trip. I am worn out with navigating all this and this is not helped by the fact that people who booked under one set of rules and then made last payment under another set are now faced with yet another set of rules before their cruise even sails. Land trips are just easier to organize. 

• Like 3