Starting Sept. 6, 2022 - Simplified Cruising

Roz

Does anyone else find it ironic that HAL is billing this as "simplified cruising" yet none of us (who are probably among the most cruise-educated people out there) can figure out exactly what the requirements really are on any particular cruise?

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, iceman93 said:

Does anyone else find it ironic that HAL is billing this as "simplified cruising" yet none of us (who are probably among the most cruise-educated people out there) can figure out exactly what the requirements really are on any particular cruise?

I was thinking the same thing! Simplified??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Roz said:

I arrive in Vancouver on Oct. 1 and sail on Oct. 2.  Is the testing requirement a HAL rule or Canadian Gov't. rule?  Do I time the test based on arrival in Canada or ship embarkation?  Do I need test results to fill out the ArriveCAN application?

Perhaps both:  HAL's rule because Canada requires testing?

Is requiring at least one booster new?  I had read that "fully vaccinated" did not require a booster.  Might be a deal breaker for me.  We are vaccinated but no booster and don't plan to get one with all of the problems being reported lately.  If we test negative, are we ok?

4 minutes ago, RRFan said:

Is requiring at least one booster new?  I had read that "fully vaccinated" did not require a booster.  Might be a deal breaker for me.  We are vaccinated but no booster and don't plan to get one with all of the problems being reported lately.  If we test negative, are we ok?

If you are talking about your NS QB-FLL cruise in October, it and NO OTHER Canada/NE itinerary are actually on the PDF list for the "Canada Enhanced Protocols." I take that to mean we are still under the previous Canada/NE cruise testing and vaccine requirements which are the ones specifically mandated by Canada itself for cruise ship passengers leaving Canada. (We are on NS 2 weeks prior to you)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RRFan said:

I would like to know the same thing. The booster requirement is new and we were thinking of sailing out of Seattle next weekend for a 7 day Alaskan roundtrip on the Westerdam. Our cruise is not listed on the PDF.

5 hours ago, deck chair said:

Hi!   Good thing I have twenty lawyers working on this for me!!!!!  Since there have been so MANY breakout cases among vaccinated people doesn't it follow to test everyone prior to boarding vaccinated or not?  For the record, I am opposed to any mandates.  Think it's time to get back to normal.

Deck Chair.

We cruised on Celebrity in July.  At that point, all had to be vaccinated and monitored tested 48 hours prior.

People still got Covid on board.

• Like 1

According to the ArriveCAN app, you're considered fully vaccinated if you have 2 shots. Doesn't sound like you need a booster. I went thru the motions of completing the required information and that's what the app tells you. But I sure would like to know for sure! My husband is not boosted, so it's a deal breaker. I think this starts Sept 5th. 

IMG_0759.PNG

• Like 1

I would like to see the old outdated information removed from the website or redacted from the .pdf documents when new updated regulations are posted.  For me, it causes doubt about testing requirements.  Neither of our sailings, including a full panama canal transit, are listed in the enhanced protocol .pdf, but the FAQ page still links to a Travel Well, Download U.S. cruise protocols .pdf document that requires testing for all dated June 4, 2022. 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/frequently-asked-questions.html

• Like 6

1 hour ago, RRFan said:

What are all the problems?  I’m not a person that watches the news and google didn’t turn up a lot either.  I’ve had two boosters so far.  

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

What are all the problems?  I’m not a person that watches the news and google didn’t turn up a lot either.  I’ve had two boosters so far.  

I DO NOT want to start a debate here, but there are a myriad of problems that have been associated with the vaccines.  What I'm most concerned with at my age are blood clots and myocarditis.  It's simply my personal preference. I know many people have had no problems and I'm happy for them.  I would just prefer to not have to take a booster and it wasn't required when I booked my Oct Quebec City to FLL cruise so that is why I'm asking.  The requirements seem to constantly change.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Canada certainly has it in for us cruisers.  When we went to make appointments at the drug store for our tests for Sept.11 cruise, the nurse said "oh, you don't need to test", but we do,  Here is what the Government of Canada website says about cruises.  I check it every few days, in the so far vain hope that things will change.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/entering-leaving-canada-cruise-ship-covid-19.html
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

If you are talking about your NS QB-FLL cruise in October, it and NO OTHER Canada/NE itinerary are actually on the PDF list for the "Canada Enhanced Protocols." I take that to mean we are still under the previous Canada/NE cruise testing and vaccine requirements which are the ones specifically mandated by Canada itself for cruise ship passengers leaving Canada. (We are on NS 2 weeks prior to you)

Thank you for responding and yes that is the cruise I'm asking about.  I looked on HAL's list and the Nieuw Statendam is NOT on the list:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/Health_Sanitation/2022/Enhanced-Protocols-0831.pdf

Would you mind giving me the link listing NS please?    And according to this list, the enhanced Canada protocols do require vax +1 booster + testing. 

Are you thinking that the "previous" protocols didn't require booster?  I'm so confused!

Thanks so much

28 minutes ago, RRFan said:

I DO NOT want to start a debate here, but there are a myriad of problems that have been associated with the vaccines.  What I'm most concerned with at my age are blood clots and myocarditis.  It's simply my personal preference. I know many people have had no problems and I'm happy for them.  I would just prefer to not have to take a booster and it wasn't required when I booked my Oct Quebec City to FLL cruise so that is why I'm asking.  The requirements seem to constantly change.

You are right about it changing.  No I’m not trying to start a debate either.  I just thought I was missing something.  I’m just happy when people have been vaccinated period.  It’s a personal choice after that.  Thanks for the answer.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, RRFan said:

Thank you for responding and yes that is the cruise I'm asking about.  I looked on HAL's list and the Nieuw Statendam is NOT on the list:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/Health_Sanitation/2022/Enhanced-Protocols-0831.pdf

Would you mind giving me the link listing NS please?    And according to this list, the enhanced Canada protocols do require vax +1 booster + testing. 

Are you thinking that the "previous" protocols didn't require booster?  I'm so confused!

Thanks so much

Maybe you misunderstood me. NS nor any other ship presently doing Canada/NE cruises is on the PDF list that I could find. That was my point. NO Canada/NE cruise is listed. Previous protocols under which those cruises are presently sailing and will be sailing did not and have never required boosters nor does entry into Canada or sailing from a cruise ship in Canada. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Canada certainly has it in for us cruisers.  When we went to make appointments at the drug store for our tests for Sept.11 cruise, the nurse said "oh, you don't need to test", but we do,  Here is what the Government of Canada website says about cruises.  I check it every few days, in the so far vain hope that things will change.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/entering-leaving-canada-cruise-ship-covid-19.html

@Vict0riann the link you have posted is dated 2022 06 07. Here is the most recent I can find dated 2022 08 18 (dates at the very bottom of the page)

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

NB: there may be an update I haven't found. Unfortunately older iterations are not removed as soon as new guidelines are published, nor are they always found following the same links. Frustrating at times.

Cheers, h

35 minutes ago, middlehaitch said:

@Vict0riann the link you have posted is dated 2022 06 07. Here is the most recent I can find dated 2022 08 18 (dates at the very bottom of the page)

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

NB: there may be an update I haven't found. Unfortunately older iterations are not removed as soon as new guidelines are published, nor are they always found following the same links. Frustrating at times.

Cheers, h

Thanks.  I didn’t realize they wouldn’t just update as time passed.  

• Like 1

Is Document of Recovery no longer accepted? I don’t see it anywhere in the new testing information. We are cruising on 10/3/22. Tests are required for our 45 day cruise. We are within the 90 days of recovery. 
Thanks, Denise 

4 hours ago, Tradestock said:

I would like to see the old outdated information removed from the website or redacted from the .pdf documents when new updated regulations are posted.  For me, it causes doubt about testing requirements.  Neither of our sailings, including a full panama canal transit, are listed in the enhanced protocol .pdf, but the FAQ page still links to a Travel Well, Download U.S. cruise protocols .pdf document that requires testing for all dated June 4, 2022. 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/frequently-asked-questions.html

Hi Tradestock🌺

I asked the same question at the beginning of this thread and was told the dates only went to January 3rd. Our B2B PC starts 1/23/23. San Diego to FLL and back. They explained that the calendar only went out so far!! Will see if things change. So far Panama is still needing us to test prior to embarkation even though we are fully boosted and set to get our new booster end of September. 
Happy Sailings

🌺Denise😊

• Like 1

We arrive in Vancouver on the 30th September from Australia, via Auckland.  We have to put the Arrive Canada App on our phone and load our proof of vaccination certificates onto the App.  There is no need to produce a negative Covid test.

We are actually boarding Quantum on the 3rd of October and we are required to have a supervised RATS test so we have booked one through https://fast-test.ca/  We have booked to have it at the Pan-Pacific as that is where we will be staying but I believe there is also a facility at the Fairmont.

I believe this is a Canadian requirement not a cruise ship requirement as friends who are joining us on the Honolulu to Brisbane cruise can self-test in Hawaii.

Cheers

Di

As @middlehaitch posted, this link appears to be the best one to use for cruise pax - it has stayed up to date (others do not): https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

At present, here are the Canadian rules. You can enter Canada by air, land or water (this means private boats, etc - NOT cruise ships) without a test. You may be subject to random testing on arrival. The ArriveCan app is required to document your vax status and location - it's essentially just an electronic customs form.

The Canadian definition of fully vaxed does not require boosters (at this point).

The requirements for cruisers are more stringent. IF you are embarking a cruise ship in Canada, or calling at a Canadian port on a cruise ship, you are required to test before you embark on that cruise - 72 hours for a molecular test; 2 days for an antigen test.

I can't find anything in the Canadian rules that supports the HAL "enhanced Canadian protocols" that states a booster is needed. This is either an additional level of precaution by HAL, or simply an error.

Hope that helps somewhat - this is truly tough for many to penetrate! 🍺🥌

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Hi Tradestock🌺

I asked the same question at the beginning of this thread and was told the dates only went to January 3rd. Our B2B PC starts 1/23/23. San Diego to FLL and back. They explained that the calendar only went out so far!! Will see if things change. So far Panama is still needing us to test prior to embarkation even though we are fully boosted and set to get our new booster end of September. 
Happy Sailings

🌺Denise😊

Hi Denise.  These are the entry/exit requirements posted on the US Embassy in Panama.  If you have a link to additional Covid testing requirements for Panama, I would be happy to read them.

Entry and Exit Requirements

• Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes. Fully vaccinated travelers must bring proof of vaccination and electronic sworn affidavit . Unvaccinated and partially vaccinated travelers must present a negative Covid test. 
  • Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? Yes, a negative PCR or antigen test is required unless the passenger can provide proof that they have been fully vaccinated at least 14 days prior to arriving in Panama.

https://pa.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

7 hours ago, Tradestock said:

Hi Denise.  These are the entry/exit requirements posted on the US Embassy in Panama.  If you have a link to additional Covid testing requirements for Panama, I would be happy to read them.

Entry and Exit Requirements

• Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes. Fully vaccinated travelers must bring proof of vaccination and electronic sworn affidavit . Unvaccinated and partially vaccinated travelers must present a negative Covid test. 
  • Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? Yes, a negative PCR or antigen test is required unless the passenger can provide proof that they have been fully vaccinated at least 14 days prior to arriving in Panama.

https://pa.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺Good morning Tradestock,

Thank you !! Is it possible that this is for entry with flying? Spoke to HAL Friday as well as with my PCC they said as of now we still need to take the Covid test since we are going through the Panama Canal.Said this can change in future!! 
Every day is something different. Will go with the flow! Have a great day.

🌺Denise 😊