Asking for upgrade once onboard?

choochella

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Crew quarters are tight and not solo.  If a crewmember were to test positive, they'd still need to be isolated.

That's not what I was referring to. I was referring to the comment about new healthy crew being isolated as they come on board. That's certainly no longer a thing.

31 minutes ago, Caroldoll said:

I would do it now, but nothing is available.  I would also be willing to work with someone who is thinking of cancelling to make sure they come out on the good side.  It is entirely my fault--I let this get away from me.

Is there a possibility that they have 2 connecting S-1 suites available? That may work for you as an alternative. Keep us posted.

50 minutes ago, Caroldoll said:

I would do it now, but nothing is available.  I would also be willing to work with someone who is thinking of cancelling to make sure they come out on the good side.  It is entirely my fault--I let this get away from me.

Cancellations happen all the time for many reasons  just keep checking.  That's how I got my C1 on the wake of the ship it was six weeks out from sail date. Haven't seen any since though.

9 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Cancellations happen all the time for many reasons  just keep checking.  That's how I got my C1 on the wake of the ship it was six weeks out from sail date. Haven't seen any since though.

Thanks.  I try every few days

On 9/11/2022 at 3:52 PM, phoenix_dream said:

To the OP's original question - it is not likely you can secure an upgrade onboard, and the higher the cabin category the lower the odds.  Many ships are sailing full or close to it recently.  This makes the move up onboard possibility much, much different than it was maybe 6-9 months ago.  First choice will go to people who made MoveUp offers.  Until a week or so ago, testing pre-cruise probably caused a certain number of last minute cancels which may have freed up cabins.  Since for most cruises testing has ended that number will fall.  There may still be some last minute cancels for people who got sick at the last minute but certainly a lesser number.  

So is it likely?  Probably not, especially the higher level the cabin.  But does it hurt to ask?  Depends on how disappointed you will be if you get turned down.

We have to have pre-cruise testing because it is going to Canada, so maybe a glimmer of hope.

On 9/10/2022 at 7:09 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Usually upgrades are awarded via the moveup program and occasionally on a gratis basis.  Most of the Gratis Upgrades  have gone away with near to capacity bookings.

Not sure about nominal fee.    They do often offer upgrades to those who have been put on a waiting list.   Usually they are not awarded until the second day. 

I recently asked about an empty RS that I had not won a fairly strong move up bid on.    I was told that I could upgrade for $2,800 pp which put it higher than if I had purchased it on the open market.   I declined and the ship sailed with the room empty.   The call us up to the Revenue Manager and this one was being greedy.

Jim, are you saying the RS was available but your moveup wasnt accepted? Meaning they chose not to take more money? So even a strong bid can be for not?

The term "upgrade" often refers to a free change (to a better cabin) and this is not likely to happen.  If you are looking to get an "upsell" offer (where you must pay extra for a better cabin) than it can happen if there are available cabins.  The downside is that it means standing in a queue at the Guest Relations Desk (this line can sometimes be quite long on embarkation day since folks have lots of different issues).  We have sometimes witnessed a situation where the Guest Relations folks will simply take your name and tell you they will contact you later if something opens up.   

But we do agree with some of the other posters that if you want to upgrade your cabin, it is usually best to do it in advance of your cruise (like now)!  The upsell deals we have seen on ships are generally not any better (and sometimes worse) then doing it now.  And do you want to spend your embarkation day standing in a queue (Guest Services), later getting your luggage moved (to a different cabin), etc.  We have also seen a situation where friends had already unpacked in their cabin to later receive a phone call that another cabin was available!  Just not everyone's idea of fun.

Hank

We have been upgraded at no cost on 3 of our last 6 cruises with X.( June 2021-July 2022). I believe partly because of being Elite CC members and partly because all  of our sailing were Not fully Booked.

As A fully booked sailing is getting more likely we will do more MoveUp offers.

I will post this more for the new cruisers than the experienced.  The restart after COVID was weird and unprecedented.  Ships were sailing at 50% (or less) of capacity and the cruise lines were desperate to get customers back into cruising.  Lots of interesting things happened including fantastic free upgrades, some good things aboard, etc.  But those times are now becoming part of the past.  Those of us who cruised shortly after the restart were often blessed to have wonderful experiences on partially empty ships.    But the cruise lines cannot survive with that scenario and are gradually filling their ships and finding every possible way to increase their revenue.  Now we have a different situation where some cruises can sell berths, but do not have enough crew (or at least experienced crew).  This too will pass and we are quickly moving into the new normal which is the normal full ships, lots of nickel and diming, and the continued expansion into this world of different classes on ships.  It is somewhat like putting the clock back over 50 years when most ships had classes. 

So now we seem to be in a situation where folks who want to pay more (such as for suites) are going to get a lot more.  Those who want to stay on a budget are generally going to get a budget cruise where they can choose to pay more for various amenities.  Consider that on MSC, a couple in their Yacht Club (ship within a ship) can pay 4 times what is being paid by a couple in the lower cost cabins!  Those paying for the Yacht Club (just like the Haven Suites on NCL) expect and deserve a lot more for their money.  I will stick out my neck and predict that the higher priced classes will generally get fully booked as will the lowest price cabins.  Those in the middle will scramble for a slightly better cabin location, a slightly better dining situation, etc.

Hank

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

So now we seem to be in a situation where folks who want to pay more (such as for suites) are going to get a lot more.  Those who want to stay on a budget are generally going to get a budget cruise where they can choose to pay more for various amenities.  Consider that on MSC, a couple in their Yacht Club (ship within a ship) can pay 4 times what is being paid by a couple in the lower cost cabins!  Those paying for the Yacht Club (just like the Haven Suites on NCL) expect and deserve a lot more for their money.  I will stick out my neck and predict that the higher priced classes will generally get fully booked as will the lowest price cabins.  Those in the middle will scramble for a slightly better cabin location, a slightly better dining situation, etc.

Hank

I tend to agree with you on the expectation issue.  I would also note that the cost difference between the high end suites and an inside cabin can be in the 10 to 12 to one ratio.  This is why Celebrity pushes the Retreat class so heavily.  From looking at a lot of cruises, I am seeing the suites go fast, particularly on longer cruises.  I've read a lot of posts suggesting that suites have been sailing at a higher level of capacity since the restart.

4 minutes ago, capecodmercury said:

I tend to agree with you on the expectation issue.  I would also note that the cost difference between the high end suites and an inside cabin can be in the 10 to 12 to one ratio.  This is why Celebrity pushes the Retreat class so heavily.  From looking at a lot of cruises, I am seeing the suites go fast, particularly on longer cruises.  I've read a lot of posts suggesting that suites have been sailing at a higher level of capacity since the restart.

Agree about suite capacity. We’ve sailed in suites multiple times since restart and even as late as last December the suites were at least 85% full, and usually 100% full, even when the entire ship was only at 40%.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, capecodmercury said:

I tend to agree with you on the expectation issue.  I would also note that the cost difference between the high end suites and an inside cabin can be in the 10 to 12 to one ratio.  This is why Celebrity pushes the Retreat class so heavily.  From looking at a lot of cruises, I am seeing the suites go fast, particularly on longer cruises.  I've read a lot of posts suggesting that suites have been sailing at a higher level of capacity since the restart.aroun

You actually have taken this to a different topic.  You mention about Celebrity Retreat suites costing a lot of money.  DW and I have considered going on one of the new Edge class ships in a retreat suite.  Understand that we are Elite Plus on the line and have some understanding of what they are about.  But a Retreat Suite would actually cost us more than we pay to go on luxury lines (like Seabourn) and Celebrity is just not in that class!  

So that takes me into a personal pet peeve which is finding the best "value" in cruising.  We are not "loyal" to a particular line (have been on 16 lines) but are addicted to cruising.  These days, the best values seem to be on the luxury lines (with the exception of MSC's Yacht Club).  Another great value is the new Explora Journeys Line (a new luxury line owned by MSC).   As to the Celebrity Retreat class, if they can get folks to pay $1000 per person day (I am talking about the total cost  of the cruise trip) than I tip my hat to X.  But for that kind of money (and a lot less) we can go on Seabourn, Silverseas, and even Regent.  And the last time we were on X they were not pouring real French Champagne and dishing out unlimited caviar!  

I have been cruising long enough (since the mid-70s) to have witnessed the cruise industry go through many changes.  We seem to, again, be in one of those change periods.   Not sure how it will all play out, but we expect to be along for the ride :).

Hank

For me I find the M class to small. If I’m cruising on the more luxury lines then I’ll probably feel they are too small as well. 

I know I should try it one day but for now Retreat will do unless someone can suggest a similar size to S class on a luxury line? 

We were doing a B2B in AQ with the same cabin for both.   The move up to a SS was $1500 pp.   on the last day of the first cruise I asked about doing a upgrade for the next cruise just out of curiosity.   There were plenty of SS available.  They said they would get back to me about the cost.   On the evening of 2nd day of the next cruise they left a message on my phone.  $1500 pp.  Even if I was really interested I would have turned it down unless it was a really fantastic deal that  I couldn’t refuse as 2 days were already gone.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

14 hours ago, wineoclock said:

For me I find the M class to small. If I’m cruising on the more luxury lines then I’ll probably feel they are too small as well. 

I know I should try it one day but for now Retreat will do unless someone can suggest a similar size to S class on a luxury line? 

It is unlikely you will ever see a larger ship (like S Class) in the luxury cruise market.  We have taken many (100+) mass market cruises and also regularly cruise on some luxury lines.  What sets the luxury ships apart are the excellent space ratios (meaning lots of space), no lines, plenty of deck chairs, very good food, amazing service, and little to no nickel and diming.  But as ships grow larger, the ability to provide a true luxury experience wanes.  When we had a beach party (on a privately rented beach) during a Seabourn cruise, there were only about 400 passengers.  That meant no lines for lunch, amazing service on the beach (including crew serving caviar and champagne in the sea), etc.  You just cannot do that kind of thing with 2000+ folks.  It is also why you will seldom find a high end restaurant that can serve thousands of diners.   

You can also get some luxury on large ships that have a ship within a ship concept (such as the Retreat Suites on the Edge Class).  But while ship within a ship can be great, the real luxury is limited when one is in the exclusive enclave dedicated to only those folks.  Once you leave the luxury enclave you are out and about in a normal mass market vessel.  While this does meet the needs of some folks (willing to pay the luxury prices) others much prefer being a ship where everything is dedicated to luxury cruising.   

We have done both types of luxury cruising (ship within a ship and small luxury vessels) and there are pros/cons to both.  But small ship luxury cruises can be very special.  Last year, while cruising in the Greek Islands on the Seabourn Ovation, DW and I went down to the tender area to get a tender into Santorini early in the day.  When we got to the tender area there were no other passengers wanting to go ashore on their own (there were others on an excurison that are tendered into a different location).  The crew quickly got on the radio and in about 5 minutes a large shore-based tender pulled up to the ship.  We boarded that tender we were the only passengers (there were about 500 on the ship) on that tender which immediately took us to the island!  No waiting to fill that large tender (which held several hundred persons), no lines, no hassles.  That is luxury!    Later that day, when DW and I got a return tender to the ship there were only about 10 on the tender (that had room for hundreds) including the Staff Captain (returning from some time ashore) who immediately greeted us by name and chatted about sea conditions/weather.   That is also part of the luxury experience.   When you are on a S Class ship with over 2500 other passengers those kinds of things do not happen.   That being said, we really enjoy the S Class vessels, but we also accept that it is an excellent mass market cruise experience and not even close to a luxury small ship experience.

Perhaps one could say that "size does matter" and with luxury cruising that means small is better.

Hank

• Like 1

We are similar to you. We have been on 65 cruises on 12 different lines. Half of those cruises were with Celebrity and the others on premium and luxury lines. 
the prices for suites on X are making us consider the luxury lines again. 
we have never received a comp upgrade on X but we have on Seabourn and Regent.

• Like 2