Disney Wonder Cruising From Sydney 2023

22 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

What a shame with the majority of cruises being very short.  Maybe they think that is all Aussies will be able to afford with our weak dollar.  

Our family adored visiting WDW in Florida, but it is a long flight from Australia with children.   

With Disney, the ship is the destination and a few days you would be over it.

It looks like about half go from circular quay and half from white bay.

WDW is really congested,there’s no walk up tickets and on busy days you can only get tickets for magic kingdom if you’re in one of their resorts.
Not the happiest place on earth.

36 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

What a shame with the majority of cruises being very short

urgh. I typed a response and then I think it disappeared.

I am not even sure who they are aiming for as a target audience. Disney fans who haven't cruised before? Cruise fans who like Disney?

From what I'm seeing online, the Disney fans are very excited, the cruise fans not so much.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chiliburn said:

With Disney, the ship is the destination and a few days you would be over it.

It looks like about half go from circular quay and half from white bay.

WDW is really congested,there’s no walk up tickets and on busy days you can only get tickets for magic kingdom if you’re in one of their resorts.
Not the happiest place on earth.

Nothing is like it used to be before the Pandemic.  However, we used to stay in the WDW Florida campgrounds and a week was never enough, even when my children became adults.  

6 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

With Disney, the ship is the destination and a few days you would be over it

We did a 7 night Western Caribbean cruise on Disney Fantasy in 2015 and that felt like a good amount of time to split between the ship and the destinations. Never liked the short cruises.

I would still prefer to do a Disney Park if I want that full-on Disney experience (I mean... my profile pic was taken at Disneyland). DCL is nice, but it's a cruise that's nicely themed as opposed to a full Disney experience IMO.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, losfp said:

urgh. I typed a response and then I think it disappeared.

I am not even sure who they are aiming for as a target audience. Disney fans who haven't cruised before? Cruise fans who like Disney?

From what I'm seeing online, the Disney fans are very excited, the cruise fans not so much.

Disney is a magic place when you can put on your Disney Ears and become a child again!

18 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Disney is a magic place when you can put on your Disney Ears and become a child again!

The adults seem to like it more than the toddlers,you feel like a kid again.

We stay on property, wilderness lodge,animal kingdom lounge ,port Orleans.

Next year we are going to try Swan or dolphin ,it’s supposed to good and a bit cheaper.

15 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

The adults seem to like it more than the toddlers,you feel like a kid again.

We stay on property, wilderness lodge,animal kingdom lounge ,port Orleans.

Next year we are going to try Swan or dolphin ,it’s supposed to good and a bit cheaper.

We used to stay in cabins in Fort Wilderness, WDW, followed by a period at an inexpensive motel outside but continue to use all the facilities of Fort Wilderness.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

What a shame with the majority of cruises being very short.  Maybe they think that is all Aussies will be able to afford with our weak dollar.  

Most cruises is the USA are for 7 days or shorter, think the average worker only gets 2 weeks leave a year and guess the target market is more family's and youngsters so they are bringing that model here even though we get 4 weeks holidays each year.

28 minutes ago, Hammer61 said:

Most cruises is the USA are for 7 days or shorter, think the average worker only gets 2 weeks leave a year and guess the target market is more family's and youngsters so they are bringing that model here even though we get 4 weeks holidays each year.

Cruises mainly 2 or 3 days here, not 7 days like the USA.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Cruises mainly 2 or 3 days here, not 7 days like the USA.

Yes, can see that but shorter cruises are more popular in the USA, not that many more than 7 days and loads 3,4,5 nights, maybe because of less annual leave entitlements?

Would also guess Disney is hoping this will attract a whole new audience so keeping cruises shorter (and cheaper) will maybe see more people want to go, even though it may still be expensive on a per day basis which shorter cruise often are.

A 3 day Disney Cruise may still work out cheaper than a 3 day trip to the Gold Coast for a family visiting the 3 big theme parks when you factor in meals, hotels flights, driving etc, especially if all are sharing a cabin.

Edited by Hammer61
Terrible Spelling!!!!

56 minutes ago, Hammer61 said:

Yes, can see that but shorter cruises are more popular in the USA, not that many more than 7 days and loads 3,4,5 nights, maybe because of less annual leave entitlements?

Would also guess Disney is hoping this will attract a whole new audience so keeping cruises shorter (and cheaper) will maybe see more people want to go, even though it may still be expensive on a per day basis which shorter cruise often are.

A 3 day Disney Cruise may still work out cheaper than a 3 day trip to the Gold Coast for a family visiting the 3 big theme parks when you factor in meals, hotels flights, driving etc, especially if all are sharing a cabin.

Who would do a 3 day holiday for the Gold Coast theme parks?  They will get an audience though. The US do like shorter holidays, but I find it hard to imagine many are going to fly out for just a single short cruise.

It looks like a full season sampler to test the waters and get as many faces aboard as possible. Splitting over 4 home ports, they also get to spread the love, and that makes sense. Not so much a holiday, but a short visit to a floating theme park, that is more about interaction than thrills.

7 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Who would do a 3 day holiday for the Gold Coast theme parks?  They will get an audience though. The US do like shorter holidays, but I find it hard to imagine many are going to fly out for just a single short cruise.

It looks like a full season sampler to test the waters and get as many faces aboard as possible. Splitting over 4 home ports, they also get to spread the love, and that makes sense. Not so much a holiday, but a short visit to a floating theme park, that is more about interaction than thrills.

I can picture a lot of overtired young children on these short Disney cruises.  I plead guilty to finding my youngest child asleep under a bunk in our WDW cabin and in the bath.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Who would do a 3 day holiday for the Gold Coast theme parks?

Well i did when my Daughter was younger!!!!! drive up 3 days doing all the theme parks and then drove back, so really 5 days in total, another time we flew, hired a car, plenty of people from Sydney do this, stays range from 3 to 7 nights i guess.

27 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Splitting over 4 home ports,

Expect this will see the GC etc lose a few more customers as well as each big City gets the Disney experience in town for few sailings?

29 minutes ago, arxcards said:

It looks like a full season sampler to test the waters and get as many faces aboard as possible

Of course it is, and well thought through i reckon, short voyages, seem cheaper, more appeal and if they do a good job expect to see longer voyage's out to the South Pacific etc in the coming years as word and experience spreads, the Disney name alone with have just about every kid pleading with Mum and Dad to take them

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geoff2802 said:

Who would be Disney’s closest competitor in the Australian market?  Royal Caribbean?  

Royal Caribbean would be the closest opposition but I don’t think Gavin will lose any sleep over them coming to Oz, 

Disney will bring the Disney fans to its cruises. 

Royal Caribbean are now probably thinking how much can they get on cruises to nowhere on an Oasis ship from Brisbane. 

3 minutes ago, springaussie said:

Royal Caribbean would be the closest opposition but I don’t think Gavin will lose any sleep over them coming to Oz, 

Disney will bring the Disney fans to its cruises. 

Royal Caribbean are now probably thinking how much can they get on cruises to nowhere on an Oasis ship from Brisbane. 

I agree.  Also think Disney will discount from those prices.  

Wonder (pun intended) if they can fill an Oasis class if the itineraries are mostly to nowhere, Noumea and Hobart.  I’d have thought they need Lelepa and also to share it with Singapore (or another port in Asia).  
The Brisbane winter ship can be a smaller one.  

1 hour ago, geoff2802 said:

I agree.  Also think Disney will discount from those prices.  

Wonder (pun intended) if they can fill an Oasis class if the itineraries are mostly to nowhere, Noumea and Hobart.  I’d have thought they need Lelepa and also to share it with Singapore (or another port in Asia).  
The Brisbane winter ship can be a smaller one.  

I doubt Disney will drop the prices by much if they do discount.

Geoff have a look how much Disney are charging in the USA.

Plus the money they will get from souvenirs. Virtually every cabin will buy something with Disney on. Many for others also.

A regular Oz cruiser today said Disney is the best cruise line she has cruises on. The prices are least of her worries.
A lady at work is booking a Disney cruises from Melbourne and Brisbane to start with. 

Nine Brisbane are running a Disney Cruise story tonight.

24 minutes ago, springaussie said:

I doubt Disney will drop the prices by much if they do discount.

Geoff have a look how much Disney are charging in the USA.

Plus the money they will get from souvenirs. Virtually every cabin will buy something with Disney on. Many for others also.

A regular Oz cruiser today said Disney is the best cruise line she has cruises on. The prices are least of her worries.
A lady at work is booking a Disney cruises from Melbourne and Brisbane to start with. 

Nine Brisbane are running a Disney Cruise story tonight.

Yep, they’re expensive all right.  Good luck to them.