Diamond member late check out

dmccadden

Somebody recently published a similar thread to which we offered this same advice.  We assume the OP is referring to one of the cruises out of Florida (if I am wrong than so sorry) and nobody can stay, for long, on a ship that debarks at a US Port.  The US Authorities (CBP) have a process that forces all cruise ships to "zero out" which means having all passengers off the ship before they can begin the process to begin embarkation for the next cruise.  Most of the time this means that "last call" will be shortly after 9:30.  The joke is that nobody is actually forced off the ship prior to that last call announcement so the Diamond benefit is really not worth much in US Ports.

Hank

I may remember wrong and it may have changed but isn't the benefit that you can keep your cabin a little longer, not that you can leave the ship later?

We were able to keep our cabin a little longer when we cruised on Meraviglia but we didn't really needed that. We stayed in the Top Sail Lounge until around 11 am. 

• Like 1

We've sailed 5 times out of US as Diamond and all in YC and two in RS.  Maybe we just annoy the staff but they want us off asap.  I have read of people in Europe staying in lounge until afternoon but not in US.

Latest we've ever left is 9.  Never been told you are Diamond and can stay late.  Kind of like the YC private shopping that doesn't seem to exist even though we'd have no use for it.

The plus side is getting on ship has been early as 10 ish so getting ship cleared does help in that way.

Diamond does NOT have late disembarkation privileges.  In the US you must be out of your cabin by 7:30 or 8:00 and off the ship by 9:30.  They will ask you to wait in a "holding pen" in a lounge which is quite boring.  In  Europe it can vary as they embark and disembark from many ports of call so there is more flexibility.  In the US the ship has to go to ZERO count so that they can start the next cruise.

5 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I may remember wrong and it may have changed but isn't the benefit that you can keep your cabin a little longer, not that you can leave the ship later?

We were able to keep our cabin a little longer when we cruised on Meraviglia but we didn't really needed that. We stayed in the Top Sail Lounge until around 11 am. 

The cruise line prefers you vacate your cabin, early, so the staff has time to clean/prepare for the next cruisers.  While it is possible to delay leaving the cabin, delaying your departure (from the cabin) is rude and unfair to the hard working crew.

Hank

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

Diamond does NOT have late disembarkation privileges.  In the US you must be out of your cabin by 7:30 or 8:00 and off the ship by 9:30.  They will ask you to wait in a "holding pen" in a lounge which is quite boring.  In  Europe it can vary as they embark and disembark from many ports of call so there is more flexibility.  In the US the ship has to go to ZERO count so that they can start the next cruise.

Years ago i did the wait until the crew yells get off the *&%^%$ ship. As we passengers moved through

the corridors in port Miami  the port people closed the fire or security doors behind us as soon as our last group inched passed each one.  There was a surprise port authority inspection and we were there a long time. everyone stacked luggage on top of stranger's luggage as high as possible so some people  had room to sit on luggage  or the floor. There wasn't room for everyone to sit even after moving things around and it was pretty warm.

Never again will i be in the last group if possible and i sure as heck won't goof around like i did and be at the end.

I think the confusion around this might come because in the med the ships don't really start do their cruise for 7 days then stop, what happens is the ship goes round in circles, people embark and disembark at every port.

just as you wanted to board at 10 AM-so do the passengers for the upcoming week... Diamond in the US does not have a "late" disembarkation, the port authority and customs MUST clear the ship before new passengers or back to back cruisers are permitted back on... 

8 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

Late cabin checkout on disembarkation is absolutely one of the listed benefits of diamond. If you want to say as a practical matter it doesn’t really work that way, fine. But I call foul on implying that the person that asked the question was imagining things.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, awhcruiser said:

Why should anyone be allowed to stay on the ship late as it needs to be cleared for the next passengers?  Diamond or not. 

The Diamond benefit being discussed isn't late disembarkation. It is that you can request to stay in your stateroom beyond the requested time (7 AM). Not noon. But perhaps 8 AM. I've never done it, nor would I see much value in it, but my point is that it is legit a listed benefit of being Diamond.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

The OP's literal question was "What time can you stay on the ship until ?". So I do think the discussion was about late disembarkation.

Bret

I think maybe the original question is confusion of the Diamond benefit. The benefit is an extra hour in your cabin on departure day. I think this may have been misinterpreted by the OP as late disembarkation. 

Either way, as we're all aware,  on a US cruise everyone has to be off the ship by 9-9.30am.

Edited by CruisingFox27
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The cruise line prefers you vacate your cabin, early, so the staff has time to clean/prepare for the next cruisers.  While it is possible to delay leaving the cabin, delaying your departure (from the cabin) is rude and unfair to the hard working crew.

Hank

Not more rude than ordering roomservice and other things included in the fare. They can just clean/prepare the cabin among the last ones so no problem for the crew.

10 hours ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

The OP's literal question was "What time can you stay on the ship until ?". So I do think the discussion was about late disembarkation.

You are correct that was OP's question and the context of many of the responses. I'm just pointing out that although OP was misinterpreting the benefit, they weren't totally imagining things as there is ostensibly a benefit related to disembarkation morning.

Late cabin check-out disembarkation.

13 hours ago, publicpersona said:

The Diamond benefit being discussed isn't late disembarkation. It is that you can request to stay in your stateroom beyond the requested time (7 AM). Not noon. But perhaps 8 AM. I've never done it, nor would I see much value in it, but my point is that it is legit a listed benefit of being Diamond.

Thanks for the clarification.

On 9/16/2022 at 4:00 AM, cruiseguyinorl said:

Bret

My experience (Yacht Club and Diamond Member) in Europe & UK is you can request to vacate cabins up to +2 hours beyond the standard time indicated and should you need longer, then allowed to stay in the lounge for more time. Handy if flights are in the afternoon or later.

This was the list of benefits given to me a few days ago on board. I plan to attempt to avail myself of it on the 24th in Barcelona as I’m sidestepping from one ship to another and I’d rather wait on this ship rather than in an uncomfortable terminal. 

CB81C8DA-D728-4DF4-A0CB-08AD351A5573.jpeg

3 hours ago, racephoto said:

This was the list of benefits given to me a few days ago on board. I plan to attempt to avail myself of it on the 24th in Barcelona as I’m sidestepping from one ship to another and I’d rather wait on this ship rather than in an uncomfortable terminal. 

CB81C8DA-D728-4DF4-A0CB-08AD351A5573.jpeg

So what does the last item really mean?  If arrival is 6 a.m. you get to 8?