Kettle on Med Cruises

Denmal

We had a kettle in our room for our British Isles cruise and loved it for tea in the afternoon on the balcony.  Does anyone know if we will get one for the Med Cruise leaving from Barcelona to Rome??  Has anyone received one on a previous cruise?  And / or can we ask for one??

Thanks

Nope, we have only had jugs (kettles) on cruises out and back to Southampton.  Our April TA from FLL to Southampton nothing.   Southampton to Southampton jugs were available with sugars, sweetener, instant coffees and creamers.  

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Your previous cruise was on Princess?

Not the OP, but per your question Princess does appear to provide kettles on British Isles cruises out of Southampton. We just were on the Emerald and had one in our cabin. We never made use of it, but it was a nice touch considering the very large number of Brits on the ship. I have never seen one on any of our other Princess cruises. It must just be for those cruises based in the UK. 

Edited by karatemom2

32 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

Not the OP, but per your question Princess does appear to provide kettles on British Isles cruises out of Southampton. We just were on the Emerald and had one in our cabin. We never made use of it, but it was a nice touch considering the very large number of Brits on the ship. I have never seen one on any of our other Princess cruises. It must just be for those cruises based in the UK. 

Maybe electric kettles are not a fire hazard when they are in British waters. 🙂

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Kay S said:

Maybe electric kettles are not a fire hazard when they are in British waters. 🙂

Princess uses kettles that should not be a fire hazard.

Passengers are not allowed to bring their own kettles because it is likely not all of them would not be a fire hazard.

Of course this does not explain why Princess will not put those kettles in the cabins for itineraries that do not originate in the UK.

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I can't see how it is possible to use an electric kettle irresponsibly !  

Neither can I but Princess has their reasons. 

Possibly they might not have sufficient business if they didn't have kettles in the rooms? 

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Neither can I but Princess has their reasons. 

Possibly they might not have sufficient business if they didn't have kettles in the rooms? 

Not sure how they would lose business?  Tea and coffee are free.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I can't see how it is possible to use an electric kettle irresponsibly !  

@MissP22 has a point. You have no idea how creative Americans are in getting themselves into hot water. Pun intended.

Occasionally, I would cover the emergency room. As soon as I thought I'd seen everything, I'd be astounded at what would come in. If we think of tea at all, it's something to throw overboard. 😁 And while you Brits, if you drink coffee, drink instant, we drink brewed coffee. A hot-pot doesn't work for us.

4 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

@MissP22 has a point. You have no idea how creative Americans are in getting themselves into hot water. Pun intended.

Occasionally, I would cover the emergency room. As soon as I thought I'd seen everything, I'd be astounded at what would come in. If we think of tea at all, it's something to throw overboard. 😁 And while you Brits, if you drink coffee, drink instant, we drink brewed coffee. A hot-pot doesn't work for us.

Well, a nice little French press would be good...  I'm doing a cruise out of Southampton next year (round trip on the Sky) so I wonder if I'll get a kettle?  

4 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Well, a nice little French press would be good...  I'm doing a cruise out of Southampton next year (round trip on the Sky) so I wonder if I'll get a kettle?  

I forgot about a French Press. I've heard that folks ask and receive on the kettle. I like my Starbucks Via, but get my hot water from the barista.

2 hours ago, Kay S said:

Yes, you will get a kettle.

A French Press is what the rest of the world calls a cafetiere.  The problem is getting rid of the grounds.

We use decent "instant " coffee. Carte Noir for example - far better than the likes  of  Starbucks,  which has no taste at all. 

On all of our Princess cruises (more than 100) we have taken a THERMOSTATICALLY controlled kettle. I think, if you read the fine print, the restriction of NON thermostatically controlled. That being said, we just took 5 Princess cruises out of Southampton and only the Island Princess did not provide a kettle in our stateroom. I am guessing that was because of a lack of 220 Volt outlets on the Island?

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

Yes, you will get a kettle.

A French Press is what the rest of the world calls a cafetiere.  The problem is getting rid of the grounds.

You can call your French press any pretentious name you like, but I will be happy to use mine if they give me a kettle (which the rest of the world calls an electric tea pot) and I think I can figure out what do with the grounds.  I'm very smart that way.

4 hours ago, triple7tahoe said:

On all of our Princess cruises (more than 100) we have taken a THERMOSTATICALLY controlled kettle. I think, if you read the fine print, the restriction of NON thermostatically controlled. That being said, we just took 5 Princess cruises out of Southampton and only the Island Princess did not provide a kettle in our stateroom. I am guessing that was because of a lack of 220 Volt outlets on the Island?

Understood, but Princess definitions are often left to the discretion of their crew members (including security) and English is not always their primary language.

Edited by SiliconCruiser