"Inside staterooms 143-225 sq ft"

washiotter

35 minutes ago, washiotter said:

We are planning our very first cruise, and I'm surprised to see the huge range in stateroom sizes. Is there a way to know which specific staterooms are larger vs. smaller, before making a selection? Thanks!

Do you have a cruise ship in mind or considering all in HAL?

1 hour ago, washiotter said:

We are planning our very first cruise, and I'm surprised to see the huge range in stateroom sizes. Is there a way to know which specific staterooms are larger vs. smaller, before making a selection? Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! I see you commented on a Nieuw Statendam sailing.

Just checking the NS deckplans, I see some "I" insides that appear somewhat larger, but some of that is just proportion -- they are wider, but shallower. They are all mid-ship: four on Deck 1 and 2 each on 4-5-6-7-8. Those higher decks also have two each inside HANDICAP rooms, which are probably the ones that actually set that higher limit. There is usually no more and possibly less storage, as room has been left for mobility equipment to maneuver and park/be stored.

So inspect the deckplans, but beware: a smaller room in a quieter location is probably better than a larger one under a showroom or galley! 

• Like 1

As the classes of ships get newer, the sizes of cabins in comparable categories get smaller. If the ship you are considering has both 'inside' and 'large inside', go for the 'large'. Those cabins are quite comfortable. 
Handicapped cabins are larger than others in the same category, frequently by a lot. 

On the oldest ships, the R-class, the large inside cabins are 186 sq. ft., with a couple odd sized ones that are quite a bit larger. 
Vista and Signature class inside cabins tend to be smaller than on the R-class, except for those on Main Deck (and Main Deck only). Those cabins are
huge
Insides on the Pinnacle ships are
tiny. There is barely enough room to change your mind. 

Not knowing which ship you are considering makes it hard to be more helpful. 

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, washiotter said:

Sorry! We're looking at the Nieuw Statendam, for the "Jewels of the Baltic" cruise.

That's a Pinnacle class ship, so expect the insides to be very small
I have visited in one, and there wasn't a lot of room to move around, however the couple who were staying in it had no complaints. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, washiotter said:

Sorry! We're looking at the Nieuw Statendam, for the "Jewels of the Baltic" cruise.

We were in 10008 (a spa inside cabin) on the NS's inaugural sailing and it was teensy.  Last month we were aft inside in 7193 for 3 weeks and it was fabulous for us.

8 hours ago, Btimmer said:

We were in 10008 (a spa inside cabin) on the NS's inaugural sailing and it was teensy.  Last month we were aft inside in 7193 for 3 weeks and it was fabulous for us.

Which ship were you on in cabin 7193?  If you were on the NS it appears that is a Vista Suite, not an inside cabin……

4 hours ago, washiotter said:

Thanks everyone! We wound up booking Nieuw Statendam 6091 and 6095, focusing on getting as close to the middle of the ship as we can to minimize motion. I appreciate your advice!

I think you will not be in the smallest insides on the ship! I recently had a reason to look at Spa Insides on the Pinnacle class (the NS is one) and they are definitely the smallest possible!

8 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

I think you will not be in the smallest insides on the ship! I recently had a reason to look at Spa Insides on the Pinnacle class (the NS is one) and they are definitely the smallest possible!

We spent 3 weeks in an inside SPA cabin on the NS inaugural and can vouch for how small it was.

Check out cruisedeckplans dot com.  I use it before booking any cabin.

I'm a huge fan of the Large Inside cabins on the Vista and Signature class ships.

But, for my 26 days on Rotterdam next spring, I opted for 6112.  I asked about the I-category before I booked (because I was so disappointed that this class ship doesn't have the Large inside Cat J on those other ships).  I was assured that there was plenty of room and no noise from being up against the elevator bank.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCTribeFan said:

Check out cruisedeckplans dot com.  I use it before booking any cabin.

great website - I like the way you can easily see which cabins there are videos for. There is not one for our specific cabin but same level a few doors down, so we could get a good tour of what our room will be like.

4 hours ago, rodndonna said:

great website - I like the way you can easily see which cabins there are videos for. There is not one for our specific cabin but same level a few doors down, so we could get a good tour of what our room will be like.

Yes, and the videos are from YouTube, which can be linked here (unlike the individual photos).

We shall soon be in a J cabin on Nieuw Amsterdam.  I am literally bringing a tape measure and a brand new camera.  It will be the most highly documented measuring of a ship's cabin dimensions ever.  I'll probably win an award, too.  And get promoted to six-star mariner.

But for real, I feel the pain, and am going to clear it up for everyone who comes after me.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Don Kehote said:

We shall soon be in a J cabin on Nieuw Amsterdam.  I am literally bringing a tape measure and a brand new camera.  It will be the most highly documented measuring of a ship's cabin dimensions ever.  I'll probably win an award, too.  And get promoted to six-star mariner.

But for real, I feel the pain, and am going to clear it up for everyone who comes after me.

Depends on which deck you are on. If on Main Deck, be prepared to be pleasantly surprised. 
If any other J-category inside, you have my sympathies. 

• Like 1