"Old School" Cruise Card

Sunset329

On 9/20/2022 at 5:01 PM, cruzsnooze said:

I kept the medallion in an RFID sleeve I bought in a ten pack for my credit cards. I don't like being tracked and don't need Princess screens all over the ship to paste my picture and name up since I already know who I am. 

I'm with you.  Figured I'd get the wallet (https://godarkbags.com/collections/rfid-blocking-bags) since I wasn't sure the sleeve would provide enough protection.  Glad to know it does!  We likely have the same pack :-).  Woof!

10 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

I gave up years ago from trying to evade tracking. Anyone living in the 21st century cannot avoid it unless they have lived only in a cave for their entire lives.

Guessing you don't work in IT.  You don't have to be doing something nefarious to decide who gets to see your information, and how much information they get.  There are a lot of ways to mitigate tracking.  If you don't care, great!  It doesn't mean those of us who do care should have our motives categorized as paranoid in a condescending post.  You don't know everyone's lives.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Username0123 said:

Guessing you don't work in IT.  You don't have to be doing something nefarious to decide who gets to see your information, and how much information they get.  There are a lot of ways to mitigate tracking.  If you don't care, great!  It doesn't mean those of us who do care should have our motives categorized as paranoid in a condescending post.  You don't know everyone's lives.

I kind of figure it is all out there at this point, so I'm not going to worry about it.  They are welcome to my fingerprints and DNA too.    

I'll admit I don't understand the concern about tracking via the medallion on a Princess cruise ship.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Username0123 said:

Worked in IT for almost two decades before I got tired of it and quit to start a custom furniture company, so I know enough to not be overly alarmed. But then, I don't participate in activities that make me a target, so I don't feel the need to live in a perpetual state of looking over my online shoulder for the imaginary bad guy. 

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

I kind of figure it is all out there at this point, so I'm not going to worry about it.  They are welcome to my fingerprints and DNA too.    

I'll admit I don't understand the concern about tracking via the medallion on a Princess cruise ship.  

Same here. I'm much too old to fight battles I can never win. On Princess the medallion is much more of a plus than a minus. Why worry about them knowing where to deliver my favorite drink? It's not like they will slip me a roofie on their way to my location. I'm just not that cute and irresistible! 

Also, my fingerprints and DNA were surrendered decades ago when I went through the obligatory investigation before receiving secret clearance to work on government surveillance satellites (the IT work mentioned earlier), so that ship has sailed a very long time ago. If there was something I needed to be afraid of, I would have found out years ago.

Edited by sloopsailor

I'm still not sure of why anyone would be concerned about hiding their identity on a Princess ship. 

Could anyone point to just one security item that could be compromised from my Medallion I might change my mind. In the mean time I'm just going to enjoy the benefits that come with having it being carried openly or in my pocket. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I'm still not sure of why anyone would be concerned about hiding their identity on a Princess ship. 

Could anyone point to just one security item that could be compromised from my Medallion I might change my mind. In the mean time I'm just going to enjoy the benefits that come with having it being carried openly or in my pocket. 

I have the same thought/question.  Though I do understand that the whole subject of tracking in general has become a big bugaboo for a lot of folks.   

If nothing else, this thread will likely make me change my habit of carrying my credit card around the ship. The more I thought about it the more I wondered why I do that.  Haha.  

I don't give a rancid rodent's rectum if they track me on the ship. "Most" people (not all) are constantly tracked by their smart phones. They don't seem to have an issue when they visit some venue and their phone asks them to "check in". Yes, they are being tracked. The vast majority of smart devices are tracked at all times. Get over it. (Yes, as someone mentioned above, one can take measures to thwart this tracking.) I worked in IT and I know that tracking is pretty much a given. I don't live a nefarious lifestyle but, on the other hand, I do often (although not always) use ExpressVPN when I particularly don't want to be tracked or linked to whatever activity I may be involved in at the moment. Most of the time I don't really care about being tracked online but...

Being "tracked" or "located" on the ship is insignificant. You are on an isolated property in the middle of the freaking ocean. Unless you are "visiting" the cabin of someone whom you really "shouldn't" be "visiting" what's the big deal? Personally, I loved being able to locate our travel companions on our most recent (and only Medallion cruise to date) cruise. I've often heard that one should "pick your battles" and, while I often disagreed with the people using the phrase (really, some of them were freaking idiots) I don't choose this particular "battle" to fight. I'm on their ship. They are in charge. The Captain is the "Big Boss". I don't care if they know where I am or where I go.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

If nothing else, this thread will likely make me change my habit of carrying my credit card around the ship. The more I thought about it the more I wondered why I do that.  Haha.

Perhaps is a security blanket?

Similar to some of the older women carrying their pocketbooks everywhere they go? 👛 LOL

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from a Princess cruise.   I was impressed with how well the Medallion worked.  Yes, there were time when it took longer to load, but overall, I found it to be pretty good.  I would change the formatting of the daily activity page, but other than that, thought it was pretty well organized.   I really liked the tracking part.  There were several times during the cruise I used it to locate others in my group.  Pretty neat.  The only real downside is I had to carry my cell phone around, but I guess that it pretty normal so I'm used to it by now.   

And, first time I've used a lanyard --  I guess I'm a real cruiser now!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

There were several times during the cruise I used it to locate others in my group.

You can track people down by using the screens in the lift lobbies. No need to carry your phone around. 

Just now, wowzz said:

You can track people down by using the screens in the lift lobbies. No need to carry your phone around. 

I know.  It was just more convenient to have access from wherever.   I actually used the app more than I thought I would and was pleasantly surprised.  

One other thing I forgot to mention is I would like to see better notification when a text is received.   On another cruise line's system the notification was much better.  

On 9/22/2022 at 4:30 AM, MissP22 said:

Could anyone point to just one security item that could be compromised from my Medallion I might change my mind.

If you w3alk down the hallway past your cabin, the Medallion will unlock it even if you do not intend to go in.

I do not know how long the cabin remains unlocked, but someone right behind you might be able to go inside it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, caribill said:

If you w3alk down the hallway past your cabin, the Medallion will unlock it even if you do not intend to go in.

I do not know how long the cabin remains unlocked, but someone right behind you might be able to go inside it.

This was discussed at length some time ago. If some random stranger was walking close behind you, and decided to take a chance and go into your cabin for nefarious  purposes,  I suppose it is possible,  but in reality the whole scenario is so unlikely as to be unthinkable. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, caribill said:

Very unlikely.  It is only a few seconds. They would have to be on your heals.

In that case, if you used a card, they could push their way in if they wanted.

14 hours ago, caribill said:

Not very long...it's a matter of seconds, not minutes.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, caribill said:

I would rank those chances right up there with the chances of getting hit by lightning or winning the lottery.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2022 at 5:57 PM, Doug R. said:

I would rank those chances right up there with the chances of getting hit by lightning or winning the lottery.

But, someone does win the lottery. And people have been hit by lightning. 🤣

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 5:58 PM, donaldsc said:

You mean that I will have to open door by myself instead of having them open for me.  The horror of it!!!

DON

If you come back to the cabin with both hands full, the Medallion beats a magnetic card six ways to Sunday.  I was recently on a HAL ship and missed the Medallion opening my door.  Heck, I'd like a medallion to open my front door at home too...😃

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 9:54 AM, PacnGoNow said:

Also, I like that it has my pic to identify me, if I make purchases or get a drink.  They know it’s me. Unless, you have a pic of your cat!  Just kidding you…  @memoak 😂.

For Security purposes they take your pic as you embark, and then my Avatar is a dog ... those who need to know my location can identify me.

On 9/21/2022 at 3:47 PM, ldubs said:

I may be missing something.  Do we not take the medallions ashore?  

I carry a wallet in my pocket on board.  I carry a secure wallet ashore.  I realize I don't need to carry it onboard.  I just find it routine.   

For travelling, my husband and I use eScott vests from Amazon. It has secure pockets inside for passports, credit cards and large pockets for phones or tablets,  We find them very useful for our travels and I do not need a handbag / backpack / waist bag.

On 9/21/2022 at 10:46 PM, sloopsailor said:

Worked in IT for almost two decades before I got tired of it and quit to start a custom furniture company, so I know enough to not be overly alarmed. But then, I don't participate in activities that make me a target, so I don't feel the need to live in a perpetual state of looking over my online shoulder for the imaginary bad guy. 

Same here. I'm much too old to fight battles I can never win. On Princess the medallion is much more of a plus than a minus. Why worry about them knowing where to deliver my favorite drink? It's not like they will slip me a roofie on their way to my location. I'm just not that cute and irresistible! 

Also, my fingerprints and DNA were surrendered decades ago when I went through the obligatory investigation before receiving secret clearance to work on government surveillance satellites (the IT work mentioned earlier), so that ship has sailed a very long time ago. If there was something I needed to be afraid of, I would have found out years ago.

I was fingerprinted at age 6 for my government ID and the newer versions as I got older (even my passport from that country has my fingerprint).

To get my Green Card, I have been fingerprinted, photographed and background check, likewise for Nexus Card.  And for different jobs in healthcare, I had to be fingerprinted, background check and drug screen.  

As for being located, Google Maps TImeline shows me where I have been with times, this has proven useful for a claim to DB to show them the delay to their trains, I missed my connection and require reimbursement.  

So I feel like an old pro ... and it does not bother me any more, I feel it is to my advantage should anything happen to me.  I am more concerned about Identity Theft and all the personal information that has become public knowlege, as in when you purchase property and all the scammers that follow that and send you tons of junk mail.

BTW, there are devices out there that can read your cards if they are not in RFID envelopes/wallets.

• Like 2