One inch too big?

Begete

We have been traveling for many years until Covid, using the same luggage.

We now find that even though we easily meet the weight restrictions for checked baggage, and we are splurging on First Class for the first time, one of our normally to be checked bags, and both of our carry on bags are each ONE INCH too many linear inches as per the requirement of now counting each bag’s wheels, on American, Delta and Alaska airlines, the three US carriers we will be flying to Santiago, Chile and back from Buenos Aires in early 2023 for a lengthy cruise.

For those of you who have already resumed post Covid travel, do we really need to buy new luggage because of 3 extra inches?

1st  class  I would not worry

It depends on the gate agent if they will pull you over & make you gate check your bags

We left home with a 26"  checked the bag  then  the zipper came apart  before we boarded the ship  purchased  a new bag  but it was 28"  

no problem when we were flying home  the check in agent just weighed it  & off it went 

We were in BIZ class

I think  they are more about the weight in International flights

JMO

4 hours ago, Begete said:

We have been traveling for many years until Covid, using the same luggage.

We now find that even though we easily meet the weight restrictions for checked baggage, and we are splurging on First Class for the first time, one of our normally to be checked bags, and both of our carry on bags are each ONE INCH too many linear inches as per the requirement of now counting each bag’s wheels, on American, Delta and Alaska airlines, the three US carriers we will be flying to Santiago, Chile and back from Buenos Aires in early 2023 for a lengthy cruise.

For those of you who have already resumed post Covid travel, do we really need to buy new luggage because of 3 extra inches?

The chances of a US carrier measuring the size of your carry on, in any class,  is about zero.    (unless it is REALLY REALLY oversized) 

The only time I ever encountered gate agents measuring things - was while flying with a non USA flagged discount airline - even then it's very rare.   

Their usual approach is to wander around the gate area looking for Big Bags and then asking you about them.....to avoid this - sit at the next gate over - and only approach the gate once boarding starts - by that time they are all busy dealing with getting the plane loaded and the last thing they want to do is to hold this up by measuring bags and arguing with passengers.

17 hours ago, Begete said:

per the requirement of now counting each bag’s wheels

Wheels have always been included in dimensional calculations, so this on nothing "now".

What you did have was luggage manufacturers giving you the dimensions of the storage area and not counting wheel areas.  But with the proliferation of spinner bags, the wheels are now more prominent than when you had just two buried in the corners.  So that full dimension is being reported.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2022 at 8:18 AM, 6rugrats said:

It will not be measured on those airlines, IMO.  However, just consider whether a carry-on will fit in the overhead bin with the extra size.  Some of them are pretty tight, even if they are the correct size.

Question about this.... if a bag has to be gate checked for that reason once you're on board, do you pick it up immediately after exiting the plane where the gate tagged bags are, or do you have to go to baggage claim? And if you go to baggage claim, I assume gate checking does not include checking through to your connecting flight?  This would be an overseas Turkish Airlines flight in business class.

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

Question about this.... if a bag has to be gate checked for that reason once you're on board, do you pick it up immediately after exiting the plane where the gate tagged bags are, or do you have to go to baggage claim? And if you go to baggage claim, I assume gate checking does not include checking through to your connecting flight?  This would be an overseas Turkish Airlines flight in business class.

when we have had to gate check a bag  they are usually loaded into the jetway as you exit the plane

I would ask  when boarding  if they make you leave it at the door  where you pick up

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vjmatty said:

If you have to gate check a bag, as opposed to valet checking it, e.g. flying on a regional jet, you will not pick it up at the next jet bridge and yes, it will get checked to your final destination, even if you are going to Turkey with maybe an exception. If you are connecting onto Turkish Airlines from a US airline that would definitely be the case, if you are only flying on Turkish, I am not positive.

21 minutes ago, zdcatc12 said:

If you have to gate check a bag, as opposed to valet checking it, e.g. flying on a regional jet, you will not pick it up at the next jet bridge and yes, it will get checked to your final destination, even if you are going to Turkey with maybe an exception. If you are connecting onto Turkish Airlines from a US airline that would definitely be the case, if you are only flying on Turkish, I am not positive.

Thanks...... its JFK-IST-FCO.  I just happened to notice when packing this weekend that one of our carryons is US sized rather than internationally sized.   I've been hesitant to check bags because later in our journey we're flying ATH-LHR for a transatlantic crossing and I'd hate to have one left behind.

9 hours ago, vjmatty said:

Extremely unlikely they would check a bag at the gate for a Business Class customer at the gate unless it just does not fix on the aircraft.   If it is an overseas flight is is going to be on a widebody aircraft that has a lot of room especially if in business.

They will gate check to the final destination at baggage claim, unless it is something you need in the airport like a baby stroller, wheel chair etc.

Edited by em-sk
  • Thanks 1

Just flew on Air Canada from YVR-LAX yesterday and this was the first time I've seen gate staff actually walking around the departure gate checking carryons. So many had to go up and measure their carryon and visually the bags were so small...very surprised at this...especially since the bins on this particular aircraft seemed larger than usual.

9 hours ago, Ashland said:

Just flew on Air Canada from YVR-LAX yesterday and this was the first time I've seen gate staff actually walking around the departure gate checking carryons. So many had to go up and measure their carryon and visually the bags were so small...very surprised at this...especially since the bins on this particular aircraft seemed larger than usual.

They do that often here in YYZ 

What some people try to pass off  as carry on it  amazing  🙄

6 hours ago, LHT28 said:

They do that often here in YYZ 

What some people try to pass off  as carry on it  amazing  🙄

Yes...but even I could easily see some of the bags they were flagging to be measured were so obviously "tiny" and that was my point.

On 9/23/2022 at 6:28 PM, Begete said:

and we are splurging on First Class for the first time... on American, Delta and Alaska airlines, the three US carriers we will be flying to Santiago, Chile and back from Buenos Aires in early 2023 for

a lengthy cruise.

If you're looking to do FC then you'll need to do AA. They're the only of these carriers offering intl FC and at that it'd only be coming back from EZE and would need to be through MIA. To SCL DL and AA only offer business class.

I'd also be somewhat cautious of taking a bag over the published size and weight limits. Just because you're in a premium cabin, have elite status, or nobody has been dinged before it doesn't mean you won't be. A few years ago I was forced to repack a bag that was just under 2lbs overweight....this was on a $27,000 first class ticket and I was a top tier frequent flyer in that alliance. Similarly when I flew Singapore AIrlines for the first time I asked about how well policed the weight limit was on carry-on bags (I wasn't checking a bag). Every responder, on a well regarded frequent flyer forum, indicated as I was in business class and had a 20" rollerbag and laptop bag said I'd have no problem...well, sure enough the agent at JFK weighed the bags for my wife and I, told us off and said we would need to repack (somehow!?) before the gate. We didn't see her at the gate and weren't picked up again...I have other examples from various flights across the world.

You never know when you'll come across the new check-in/gate agent who diligently follows the rules, or some new airline initiative with no tolerance for bags outside of compliance.

Edited by fbgd