should I go on the youtube vlogger cruise?

Lnsmom1

Hi, my final payment is due in a few days (October 1).  I booked two weeks ago for a relaxing solo cruise with no single supplement promo.  When I looked at the roll call I found out that it has about 1000 people on the cruise who are followers of several Cruise Youtubers.  I am unfortunately not part of any of their groups.  

Should I go on the cruise and watch from a far or cancel and book another date?  Would they take over or shut down shows or parts of the cruise.  

Any experience on this?  Thanks for all the advice.   

If I know that a ship has a partial charter on board, I'll do all I can to avoid that sailing.  Yes, certain venues will be closed periodically for their private functions, and it's usually popular venues like covered pools, lounges, etc.  

7 hours ago, Lnsmom1 said:

Hi, my final payment is due in a few days (October 1).  I booked two weeks ago for a relaxing solo cruise with no single supplement promo.  When I looked at the roll call I found out that it has about 1000 people on the cruise who are followers of several Cruise Youtubers.  I am unfortunately not part of any of their groups.  

Should I go on the cruise and watch from a far or cancel and book another date?  Would they take over or shut down shows or parts of the cruise.  

Any experience on this?  Thanks for all the advice.   

Have you investigated the vloggers that will be on this cruise?  If not, you should take the time to do so.  They're a diverse lot and I follow several of them, though I've never been on a group cruise with any of them - individually or collectively.

If you've decided that you don't like any of them, you'll probably find they'll cramp your style at least a little bit with their filming and group activities.  I don't think they'll take over main theater shows, but they might have some activities in some smaller rooms that could close things off, and they might take over some tables in various dining venues.  I won't pretend to tell you what you should do in a situation like this.  Good luck on this cruise, or whichever one you decide to take instead of this one.

Hi everyone, thanks so much for the input and advice, still torn so I did some research.  Its the NCL Breakaway on Jan 29 out of NOLA cruise.  The ecked who the vloggers are.   it looks like lalidoloca, EECC Travels, Sharon@Sea and Cruise with Josh as hosts and vloggers joining without groups.   

I can't find any group activities, but maybe I'm not looking hard.  Have a few days more of digging.  

Do any of you know these vloggers, I've watched Tony and he seems interesting. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lnsmom1 said:

Hi everyone, thanks so much for the input and advice, still torn so I did some research.  Its the NCL Breakaway on Jan 29 out of NOLA cruise.  The ecked who the vloggers are.   it looks like lalidoloca, EECC Travels, Sharon@Sea and Cruise with Josh as hosts and vloggers joining without groups.   

I can't find any group activities, but maybe I'm not looking hard.  Have a few days more of digging.  

Do any of you know these vloggers, I've watched Tony and he seems interesting. 

I'm subscribed to La Lido Loca (Tony) and Sharon at Sea.  I haven't heard about any group activities for either of them for this cruise, but I haven't been checking too hard.

This cruise is only a few months away and, IMHO, it's not too early to plan group activities.  I suggest contacting your vlogger(s) of interest directly to see if they have anything planned.  It might kick up some activity.

• 4 months later...

Do these vloggers have to get permission to film in restaurants and the public places on board? I think there is a difference in the ordinary person taking pictures and videos for their own use and vloggers posting everything out, in the public domain on the internet. I do follow some of these vloggers at times, however i would think it a bit creepy if they were filming on the next table to me. 

Can staff on the ships order them to stop filming or is it the cruise lines stance that they are to leave them alone as, all publicity is good publicity?

6 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Knowing that Lada Lada was going to be on the cruise would make it absolutely certain that I would cancel.

The funny thing is that LLL is a last minute cancel from this cruise due to personal issues.

1 hour ago, gerryuk said:

Do these vloggers have to get permission to film in restaurants and the public places on board? I think there is a difference in the ordinary person taking pictures and videos for their own use and vloggers posting everything out, in the public domain on the internet. I do follow some of these vloggers at times, however i would think it a bit creepy if they were filming on the next table to me. 

Can staff on the ships order them to stop filming or is it the cruise lines stance that they are to leave them alone as, all publicity is good publicity?

Interesting questions.  I'll start with your last one.  I'm sure in each cruise line's contract is the right to stop filming at any time for any reason, but most of the time I doubt they'd bother any filmers.  Many of the shows I've been in in the main theaters of my various cruises have made an announcement that there is no video or flash photography during the show.  I can't remember any enforcement of this.

Back to your first question, I think it's a good one to ask the vloggers individually.  I suspect that most don't ask permission most of the time - especially if it's just them and their party going around the ship more or less randomly.  They may or may not ask permission to photograph/video others around them.

I have watched a few videos put out by a couple of these vloggers covering some of their past group cruises.  They did have special meet-ups in some of the venues, although I didn't see anything that would concern me about "taking over" the ship.  But, I also do not know what they did not include.

It could be an opportunity for someone interested in cruising, videography, or social media to grab one of these folks and get some good tips.  They seem to like what they do and are eager to share.  As for me personally in my current situation, it's just too risky with all the cameras and videos around according to the federal marshals.

• Haha 1