Prima: Why rename Garden Cafe and Teppanyaki ?

fstuff1

Teppanyaki says more to me about what they do than those other names.

It's similar to a Japanese steak house.

"Teppanyaki, often confused with hibachi, is a post-World War II style of Japanese cuisine that uses an iron griddle to cook food. The word teppanyaki is derived from teppan, the metal plate on which it is cooked, and yaki, which means grilled, broiled, or pan-fried. In Japan, teppanyaki refers to dishes cooked using a teppan, including steak, shrimp, okonomiyaki, yakisoba and monjayaki."

Wikipedia

Does this decor look anything like a Garden Cafe or something Sea related?

ncl_Jade_Teppanyaki.jpeg

Edited by MotownVoice

11 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

The buffet Garden Cafe was renamed Surfside Cafe.

Teppanyaki  was rename Hasuki.

And it could be argued that OceanBlue was renamed Palomar.

At a minimum, why rename the Garden Cafe?

They also renamed Wasabi to Nama sushi

And you can argue that the Manhattan Room becomes Hudsons and Taste/Save becomes Commodore (Manhattan and Taste having been around for over a decade since the Epic). 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

To be technical, the venues on Prima were not "renamed" the names given to these venues are the only ones that they ever had.

I had thought that this topic was vetted by the OP when we had the discussion on why the Blue Lagoon was renamed to O'Sheehan's and then renamed to The Local.

Sometimes it seems that the OP likes to find inane topics in an effort to generate a thread with a high post count vs providing useful information.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

And you can argue that the Manhattan Room becomes Hudsons and Taste/Save becomes Commodore (Manhattan and Taste having been around for over a decade since the Epic)

And before that wasn't it Tropicana on some ships?  Same argument could be made when that change happened.

17 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Why not?    New class of ship...freshen things up and make some changes.

My thought exactly, I even had the post written almost verbatim and decided against it!

• Like 2

Wasn’t the Garden Café called the Market Café on the older ships? It changes names every so often.  

If NCL didn’t change the names, people would be complaining here that they’re bored of eating at the same venues on every ship. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

13 hours ago, dcipjr said:

If NCL didn’t change the names, people would be complaining here that they’re bored of eating at the same venues on every ship. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Exactly this.

If something stays the same then people will complain but if you change it then people will complain. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, hallux said:

And before that wasn't it Tropicana on some ships?  Same argument could be made when that change happened.

Before the Epic the MDRs and Asian restaurants changed all the time. I may be wrong, but I think that all earlier ships have different names for the MDRs (although maybe there are a couple of Grand Pacific’s?). The aft MDRs have names like Versailles, Summer Palace, Tzars Palace etc and the mid ship are Aqua, Magenta, Indigo etc.

The Asian restaurants are often “gardens”, Lotus Garden, Jasmine Garden, etc or another Asian sounding name (Bamboo, Chin Chin, Ginza).

It was only after the Epic that names for MDRs being fairly similar with most being Manhattan, Taste and Savor, but as you say there was at least one Tropicana (although Manhattan came first.

Garden Cafe has been very consistent though. I’m not sure of any buffets not called that other than on the POA.

2 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Garden Cafe has been very consistent though. I’m not sure of any buffets not called that other than on the POA.

ahh.. thx for the explanation for Teppanyaki in that they finally gave it a name for the style of restaurant.

My bad about palamar and ocean blue.

from the description, thought they were the same. didnt know completely different menus.

Yeah, why rename Garden Cafe when they've been consistent throughout?

At least with O'Sheenan's, there was a logical reason why it was renamed to The Local on newer ships. (O'sheenan was no longer CEO)

I created a thread about that a long time ago. It was also the first time i started putting people on  ignore. ☠️

(There are some sad negative people on this board that add nothing to a thread with their useless posts.)

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 10:16 PM, uneamie said:

I renamed my gold fish....but nobody seems to that this much. :classic_tongue:

Ha ha, good one.  Personally (and stuff like this is very subjective) I like the new names.  They seem a bit more contemporary.  I don't see anything negative or "inane" in the OP bringing up a topic for light, pleasant  conversation.  Even here on CC there is no need for every thread to turn into an obnoxious controversy.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

I don't see anything negative or "inane" in the OP bringing up a topic for light, pleasant  conversation

certainly more pleasant than some of the other conversations that have been floating around the last couple days!

4 minutes ago, hallux said:

certainly more pleasant than some of the other conversations that have been floating around the last couple days!

For sure.  Social skills seem to be in decline generally and I have seen posts on other travel sites indicating that some folks on CC are remarkably rude and they will not post here for that reason.