Can you cancel after final payment and use it as a future cruise credit?

12 minutes ago, redcruzer said:

Cruise is 10/30. booked it in august. if we cancel can the funds be put in some sort of travel bank or do you lose it all?

Check your contract Confirmation at the bottom of page one. Doesn't look good.

Edited by 2chiefs

1 minute ago, 2chiefs said:

Are you referring to the deposit? If so it depends on if you have a refundable deposit. Check your contract confirmation at the bottom of page one.. There is a table for cancellations. You are within 30 days so you will lose your deposit if it's non refundable.

I think the rest would be returned to you. Not sure. 

It’s after final payment, I believe it’s lost, unless you have insurance and it’s an accepted reason.

1 minute ago, mjkacmom said:

It’s after final payment, I believe it’s lost, unless you have insurance and it’s an accepted reason.

You are correct which is why I edited my original post. LOL I guess you answered it prior to my edit.

• Like 1

Here is the cancellation schedule.  you are now under 30 days so 100% penalty.

If you or your travelling party contract Covid within 10 days of sail date you can cancel for a refund.  Royal is now asking for documented testing (supervised) to confirm this unlike before when documentation was rarely asked for.

Cruises that are cancelled prior to the sail date, and CruiseTours that are cancelled prior to the first day of the CruiseTour, may be subject to a cancellation charge. The amount of the cancellation charge shall be determined as shown in the table below and shall vary depending on how far in advance of the sail date (or first day of the CruiseTour) the Operator receives notice of cancellation.

FOR 1 TO 4 NIGHT CRUISES
(including Holiday sailings)
IF CANCELLATION IS MADE
CANCELLATION CHARGE
75 days or more prior to the first day of the Cruise No charge (except for Nonrefundable Deposit amounts)
74 to 61 days 50% of total price
60 to 31 days 75% of total price
30 days or less 100% of total price (No refund)

FOR 5 NIGHTS OR LONGER CRUISES
(including Holiday sailings and Cruisetours)
IF CANCELLATION IS MADE
CANCELLATION CHARGE
90 days or more prior to the first day of the Cruise No charge (except for Nonrefundable Deposit amounts)
89 to 75 days 25% of total price
74 to 61 days 50% of total price
60 to 31 days 75% of total price
30 days or less 100% of total price (No refund)

• Thanks 2

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Instead of cancelling and losing your deposit just change your cruise and lose $100 per person instead. No point in losing money for nothing. 

It is after final payment.  You can only do what you are describing up to final payment  After final regular cancellation policies apply. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Instead of cancelling and losing your deposit just change your cruise and lose $100 per person instead. No point in losing money for nothing. 

Call and ask about doing this.  The policy is to charge the cancellation fee, but moving a cruise is sometimes considered just moving the booking number and monies.

I've done this many times, can't remember if it was after final payment, and have never paid the large % amount.

54 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It is after final payment.  You can only do what you are describing up to final payment  After final regular cancellation policies apply. 

Just had friends a couple of days ago move a cruise from this Sunday on the Harmony to a cruise in February.

I don’t know if they were being lenient because of the hurricane…..

8 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

Just had friends a couple of days ago move a cruise from this Sunday on the Harmony to a cruise in February.

Yes, they were being lenient because of the hurricane. 

• Like 2

What does your insurance policy cover? If you got the one from the cruiseline you can cancel for any reason and get 90% of your cruise fare back as a future cruise credit. If you bought a non-cruise line policy, then it depends on the policy you bought. 

If you bought a non-cruise line cancel for any reason policy, you should get 75% of your cash back as long as you cancel more than 2 days before your sail date. If you didn't buy a cancel for any reason policy, then there may be other covered reasons you can make a claim on (do you live in the hurricane area? Have you lost your job? Any new medical issues, pregnancies, deaths of immediate family etc?).

If you didn't buy any insurance, you should have. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

It's because of the hurricane. We were supposed to board Harmony today, but instead we're still in Phoenix.

It's not listed on their website as an option, but they're offering FCC so you can rebook either for the same ship or any other sometime in next 365. It's specifically because many people couldn't make their sailing due to travel issues.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

What does your insurance policy cover? If you got the one from the cruiseline you can cancel for any reason and get 90% of your cruise fare back as a future cruise credit. If you bought a non-cruise line policy, then it depends on the policy you bought. 

If you bought a non-cruise line cancel for any reason policy, you should get 75% of your cash back as long as you cancel more than 2 days before your sail date. If you didn't buy a cancel for any reason policy, then there may be other covered reasons you can make a claim on (do you live in the hurricane area? Have you lost your job? Any new medical issues, pregnancies, deaths of immediate family etc?).

If you didn't buy any insurance, you should have. 

Depending on the reason for cancellation, some credit cards cover trip cancellation or interruption.  Chase Sapphire credit cards have good travel benefits.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, pcur said:

Depending on the reason for cancellation, some credit cards cover trip cancellation or interruption.  Chase Sapphire credit cards have good travel benefits.

That's true, the Chase Sapphire Reserve is a good card, they keep trying to get me to sign up for that one and I'm tempted, but I don't like the $400/year fee. I don't think the average American can qualify for that card though (or maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they only offer it to you if you have an "excellent" credit rating). 

What I mean by that is that the likelihood that someone has that particular card is low, and if they did have that card, they'd know they had that insurance, because the travel benefits are the primary reason to get that card. So my guess is that the OP doesn't have that card, but maybe they do. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler

53 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

That's true, the Chase Sapphire Reserve is a good card, they keep trying to get me to sign up for that one and I'm tempted, but I don't like the $400/year fee. I don't think the average American can qualify for that card though (or maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they only offer it to you if you have an "excellent" credit rating). 

What I mean by that is that the likelihood that someone has that particular card is low, and if they did have that card, they'd know they had that insurance, because the travel benefits are the primary reason to get that card. So my guess is that the OP doesn't have that card, but maybe they do. 

The Chase card benefits are among the best offered by a credit card, but remember its coverage does not replace a comprehensive travel policy. The list of covered reasons is somewhat limited, and it does not cover pre-existing conditions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

That's true, the Chase Sapphire Reserve is a good card, they keep trying to get me to sign up for that one and I'm tempted, but I don't like the $400/year fee. 

The annual fee is $550.  I've had this card since the month it was issued.  It's a great card to have.  There's a $300 annual travel credit which helps offset the annual fee.  I've used the travel insurance and warranty program several times.  You can also get cash back annually or use for travel.  Many other benefits.  If you have this card and use it you'll come out way ahead yearly.  

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, CFLRetired said:

The annual fee is $550.  I've had this card since the month it was issued.  It's a great card to have.  There's a $300 annual travel credit which helps offset the annual fee.  I've used the travel insurance and warranty program several times.  You can also get cash back annually or use for travel.  Many other benefits.  If you have this card and use it you'll come out way ahead yearly.  

Oh $550, yikes. But yeah I guess it's really only $150 if you use $300 travel credit. Can the miles be transferred to Southwest Airlines? One would still need to purchase a separate travel insurance plan though if they wanted the cancel-for-any-reason rider, so that $150 dollars that's leftover of the fee is really just paying for the airport lounges I guess. How does that work?

Edited by ARandomTraveler

1 hour ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Oh $550, yikes. But yeah I guess it's really only $150 if you use $300 travel credit. Can the miles be transferred to Southwest Airlines? One would still need to purchase a separate travel insurance plan though if they wanted the cancel-for-any-reason rider, so that $150 dollars that's leftover of the fee is really just paying for the airport lounges I guess. How does that work?

$550 - $300 = $250  🙂

13 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

There is a more entry level Chase Sapphire card — the “Preferred” also offers travel insurance, although to a lesser degree.  The annual fee is much lower but it doesn’t include some of the perks like airport lounge access, etc.  It is still a really great card option for people who want travel benefits from a credit card.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

There is a more entry level Chase Sapphire card — the “Preferred” also offers travel insurance, although to a lesser degree.  The annual fee is much lower but it doesn’t include some of the perks like airport lounge access, etc.  It is still a really great card option for people who want travel benefits from a credit card.  

Mine is a Sapphire Preferred, and I found the travel benefits plenty to cover my cruises and travel with a $95 annual fee.  Added to the medical coverage I have, I only have to spend an additional $200 for an annual travel insurance policy. 

• Like 3