Holland America Class of ships

baclyde

Was just on the Noordam to Alaska and was not happy with the food choices.  Was on the Statendam 3 months ago and thought there were more "choices" of food, especially at the Lido Market.  Was told by one of the "officers" that the Noordam was a different "class" than the Statendam.  My question is, is there a list or guide to the different "Classes" of ship on the Holland American Lines.  If so, where can I get a copy?    

10 minutes ago, baclyde said:

Was just on the Noordam to Alaska and was not happy with the food choices.  Was on the Statendam 3 months ago and thought there were more "choices" of food, especially at the Lido Market.  Was told by one of the "officers" that the Noordam was a different "class" than the Statendam.  My question is, is there a list or guide to the different "Classes" of ship on the Holland American Lines.  If so, where can I get a copy?    

Whichever ship you pick, you’ll still be eating HAL food.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, baclyde said:

Class refers to the design of the ship and are often (always?) named after the first ship of the new design.

Just ask this question on the Holland America board; I know you will get helpful answers from HAL cruisers:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/103-holland-america-line/

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, baclyde said:

My question is, is there a list or guide to the different "Classes" of ship on the Holland American Lines.  If so, where can I get a copy?    

Formerly classes were named by the first initial of the first ship in that class. The only ships left in the fleet under that convention are the Volendam and the Zaandam (in the R Class).

The Vista Class ships are Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, and Noordam.

The Signature Class ships are Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam.

The Pinnacle Class Ships are Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam, and Rotterdam.

Here is the Holland America site that describes each ship (in alphabetical order, NOT according to their class).
https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/cruise-ships.html
You can save it off as a PDF.

The thread in CC's HAL Board entitled a Guide to the Ships and Classes, is really too old to be useful, and evolved into where to ask about choice of cabin!

• Like 1

Go to www.cruisetimetables.com and choose your cruise line.  That will show you a brief picture and stats on each ship in alphabetical order.  But there is a menu bar above to click on each class, and that will show the ships in that class.  In the case of HAL, it can be confusing because the newest ship is Rotterdam, and is in the Pinnacle class.  But there is also a Rotterdam class, R, which was the first ship in a smaller, older class of ships, only two left.  EM

Our experience has been on various lines that the dining expeience on one ship in that line is not the same as that on a different ship witin that line.  The chefs, where the ship is provisioned, what is available, among other factors make the dining experience not the same on ships within the line, regardless of the "class" of ship.

• Like 2

The Class of HAL ships makes no difference as to the food prepared and served.  The difference is who is in the Galley:  the Executive Chef for your cruise.  Menus come from corporate; recipes come from corporate; the plating of the food comes from corporate.  But, the Chefs have the ability to "tweak" the recipes, if they choose to do so.  And, those that do "tweak", some are better "tweakers" than others.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, baclyde said:

Your question has been answered but I'll expand a little.  The food difference between ship classes is referring to choices.  The Pinnacle Class ships have more dining choices than the smaller/older Vista Class (Noordam).  

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, capriccio said:

Class refers to the design of the ship and are often (always?) named after the first ship of the new design.

Just ask this question on the Holland America board; I know you will get helpful answers from HAL cruisers:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/103-holland-america-line/

This typically applies to US (and other nations’) navy ships - but not so much to merchant ships- and certainly not to HAL ships.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

This typically applies to US (and other nations’) navy ships - but not so much to merchant ships- and certainly not to HAL ships.

The important point I should have stressed more was that all the ships in a class have the same basic design.  I didn’t know about HAL but it applies to Princess and, if I remember correctly, Royal Caribbean and maybe other cruise lines.  

9 minutes ago, capriccio said:

The important point I should have stressed more was that all the ships in a class have the same basic design.  I didn’t know about HAL but it applies to Princess and, if I remember correctly, Royal Caribbean and maybe other cruise lines.  

An interesting anecdote is that it is the opposite in one of RCI's ship classes.  Vision of the Seas was the last of 6 Vision Class ships to be built.  

The major difference is the newer ships have more dining options with separate kitchens dedicated to the preparation of those menus.  I particularly enjoy the Tamarind and the Dutch cafe.  Also on the Pinnacle ships the Lido will usually occasionally  host a specialty station highlighting a regional cuisine or the menu items from the specialty dining options. 

I rarely eat in the Lido except for stir fry and salad.   I find the evening dining room choices very good perhaps not superior but very good.