Evening Dress Code/enforcement

Rick&Susan

13 hours ago, carolina_yankee said:

Seriously, if one wanted to wear Bermuda shorts-style business dress, I wouldn’t care either. But others would. So, there.I

I'm 1/8th Bermudian so I'm  thinking that I will be OK to wear my formal kit - Shorts and a jacket on Chic night on our next  X cruise. But I'd better remember to bring my DNA analysis with me should anyone object.

I'm also part Scottish, but not even I would submitted my fellow cruisers to that site! 😱

Edited by DirtyDawg

38 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

I'm 1/8th Bermudian so I'm  thinking that I will be OK to wear my formal kit - Shorts and a jacket on Chic night on our next  X cruise. But I'd better remember to bring my DNA analysis with me should anyone object.

I'm also part Scottish, but not even I would submitted my fellow cruisers to that site! 😱

On our Reflection cruise from Rome in August I saw more than one Scottish gentleman wearing their finest Kilts, and not one complaint was heard. 

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Not aimed at you, but one thing I notice is so many anti dress code comments say “But not …….” So not strictly anti dress code, just their version of it

Correct. This subject has been discussed on every cruise line thread many times. My take is rules are rules, laws are laws; if not enforced then anything goes. 

16 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

On our Reflection cruise from Rome in August I saw more than one Scottish gentleman wearing their finest Kilts, and not one complaint was heard. 

I hope not. One time this subject was on a Holland America thread. Someone stated that her husband liked to dress up for special nights in women’s clothes.  Was that ok? The response to the post was, “That’s why Holland America calls it As You Wish Dining”.

Edited by RedneckBob

7 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Correct. This subject has been discussed on every cruise line thread many times. My take is rules are rules, laws are laws; if not enforced then anything goes. 

As evidenced in many US cities where laws are no longer enforced, and anything pretty much goes.

Edited by terrydtx

2 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

I hope not. One time this subject was on a Holland America thread. Someone stated that her husband liked to dress up for special nights as a women. Was that ok? The response to the post was, “That’s why Holland America calls it As You Wish Dining”.

I have been on several cruises in Europe, with many passengers from the UK and Scotland onboard, so gentlemen in Kilts is more common than you think. In the Scotland this is acceptable formal wear for men. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Comex said:

I heard a new one last night in the MDR for evening chic. The ladies were dressed appropriately but the man was in shorts, sneakers and faded polo with baseball cap and arguing that he was dressed “business casual”.  My wife (who is always smarter then me) wouldn’t let me say “maybe for a car wash” 😁.  He didn’t get in.

Was the cap on backwards at least?

Raise your hand.  Who else is canceling their Celebrity cruises because of this?!  🥸

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, carolina_yankee said:

I never said don’t discuss. It’s just that reveling in other people’s misbehaviors (or lack of knowledge) isn’t necessarily a sign of class.

As for kilts, they are hardly archaic!

https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/tuxedo-black-tie-guide/advanced/scottish-highland-dress-irish/

I said nothing about kilts.  My comment was about a dress code.

wigs <> kilts.  (Not the same). And I’ve never seen them worn at the same time.

1 minute ago, canderson said:

Does having just booked my first Silversea cruise count?

No.  You have to cancel it if they don’t allow baseball caps in the dining room.

It’s funny we argue about dress code because regardless of what cabin you have many people would see this as an elite activity for the well to do.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Was the cap on backwards at least?

Raise your hand.  Who else is canceling their Celebrity cruises because of this?!  🥸

Ok, here comes my base ball cap analysis.

If you wear a baseball cap with the bill forward you are Old School, if the bill is pointed backwards you are New School, if you wear the bill pointed sideways, you are No School 😀

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

If you wear a baseball cap with the bill forward you are Old School, if the bill is pointed backwards you are New School, if you wear the bill pointed sideways, you are No School 😀

13 pages of the same crap --- That's the best one !!

(Please ---no " Who are you to judge which is the Best one " comments).

23 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Pointed back is style, not function.  Do people think they’re making some kind of a statement?

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

But did you check a certain internet forum for the hundreds and hundreds, and possibly thousands of autonomous complaints made by your fellow cruisers on Reflection. 😉

9 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

But did you check a certain internet forum for the hundreds and hundreds, and possibly thousands of autonomous complaints made by your fellow cruisers on Reflection. 😉

You mean Reddit?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Would it be OK for DH to wear his nice shorts to dinner in the MDR and his formal kilt on formal night?   I have a sheath evening gown that I wore to my last HS reunion that I'd likely wear for formal night.

There should be one "formal night" on a 5 night RCL cruise. They have renamed it "Dress your Best".

Kilts would be welcomed on any night. 

Shorts technically are not welcomed on any night. 

Shorts on night 1 will usually get a pass as some may not have their luggage yet.

Caribbean/Bahama cruises tend to be much more lax on dress codes, especially the short ones (5 nights is short). Realistically, have a decent chance of slipping in in dress (golf style) shorts.

You will never have to worry if wearing any long pants or jeans in decent shape (no holes), and a collared shirt (long or short sleeved) on any night.

Have him bring some slacks just in case. I have seen patrons turned away for wearing shorts on both RCL and Celebrity since the restart.

11 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Its always interesting reading the reason someone just cant wear pants for a few Hrs once or twice during a cruise, but the one saying their ‘thighs’ are too big and pants are uncomfortable is a bit new. The Big Thigh Guy can wear a nice pair of shorts that go to their knees - doesnt that cover Big Thighs??

My pants and shorts all pretty much have the same ‘space’ for my thighs, so if that guy with Big Thighs who cant wear pants but can wear shorts to their knees, I dont think I understand…. except its just another excuse.

At least that gets points for being a bit ‘unique’…..

And So It Goes.

den

But an original one. 🤣

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

44 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

13 pages of the same crap --- That's the best one !!

(Please ---no " Who are you to judge which is the Best one " comments).

Finally, some value was gained from this.  Time to unfollow.  I'll see everyone in the next the dress code enforcement thread......

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Finally, some value was gained from this.  Time to unfollow.  I'll see everyone in the next the dress code enforcement thread......

Until next time then.

May your drives be straight and your puts fall in!

And if your drives can't be straight let them hit the trees solidly and bounce out of the forest! 🏌️‍♂️

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Actually saying you cannot wear it sideways is an ethnic slur.  Certain groups at home wear their caps sideways.

• Haha 1

Which way you wear your hat is associated with ethnic groups? You're telling me there are ethnic groups that associate themselves with the way a baseball cap is worn?

BTW, poster didn't say 'you cannot wear it sideways.'  It was 'if you wear the bill pointed sideways.'

This thread continues to get stranger and stranger...

Edited by dlh015
  • Like 2