Live from the 2022 Grand Africa

Scrapnana

2 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Well rats, Kathi.  I am glad you were able to board the ship even if now you are bored on the ship. How about a simple trivia question for you? How many rotations does a microwave turntable make in 2 minutes?  Hopefully the negative test will arrive quickly.

My guess is 24.

I received a copy of the test results during the afternoon signed by the doctor.  I took one of my own tests that I had brought with me before I called in the results.  It was positive as well, so I am fairly confident that the results are correct.  If they had been different, I would have requested a PCR test. 

I don't think I have ever spent so much time on the computer in one day before!

The stated reason for the test was to see if the mask mandate could be lifted.  The real reason might be that it was required by HAL and the mask mandate made it more palatable.

Edited by Scrapnana
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Summary of my first day in quarantine...

I read, knitted, watched MSNBC, watched the movie "Encanto", ate, visited numerous websites, watched BBC, and played games on the computer.  I was able to get my four miles in but by the time I leave isolation they may need to replace the rug!  Surprisingly, I was able to get to sleep quickly and slept well.  I was afraid that the inactivity of the day might leave me sleepless.

I have a countdown board where I cross off each day.  I will be very disappointed if I don't test negative on day 7.

The captain announced at noon that there were a few positive cases but did not mention how many.  He did say that the mask mandate would remain in effect for the first seven days as previously announced.  They will decide then whether to lift it or not.

Edited by Scrapnana
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

@Scrapnana, so sorry to hear that you tested positive!  What Covid shots have you had other than the original 2?  Did you get 2 boosters after those and then get the newest one that is targeted to Omicron?  Hope you continue symptom free and can keep busy enough to make it thru quarantine.  I got a chuckle about the carpet.  That would be me too since I took up walking daily after my back surgery last year. 

Linda R.

Does the Zaandam still have the DVD players with a long list of DVDs to check out…or do you have movies on demand now?

My husband likes to watch movies on a cruise but learned on the Zaandam to check out several DVDs at a time because so many of them were damaged.  

What are your choices for meals? Can you order from the MDR menu? Dive In? 

3 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

@Scrapnana, so sorry to hear that you tested positive!  What Covid shots have you had other than the original 2?  Did you get 2 boosters after those and then get the newest one that is targeted to Omicron?  Hope you continue symptom free and can keep busy enough to make it thru quarantine.  I got a chuckle about the carpet.  That would be me too since I took up walking daily after my back surgery last year. 

Linda R.

I have had two boosters.  I had the new variant one on September 8.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

I just saw a FB post from Sheri and Terry-met them on the S. Pacific cruise. Did you see them before your isolation? Hope you can find a good movie today.

I had a long talk with Sheri a few days ago at the pool. 

Today's movie choices are three I have never heard of - Luca, Charming the Hearts of Men, and Finding Altamira, and Clifford, the Big Red Dog.  I will probably watch Clifford later.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AryMay said:

Does the Zaandam still have the DVD players with a long list of DVDs to check out…or do you have movies on demand now?

My husband likes to watch movies on a cruise but learned on the Zaandam to check out several DVDs at a time because so many of them were damaged.  

What are your choices for meals? Can you order from the MDR menu? Dive In? 

Most rooms still have the old TVs and the DVD player but I heard they don't have DVDs anymore (but I have not checked that).

I can get anything from the regular room service menu as well as a special menu that is given out a few hours in advance.  Today I got the actual dining room dinner menu.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Scrapnana said:

I read on facebook that the medical center told one lady that there were 25 quarantined rooms.  Another person posted that she had walked all the halls and had only seen 13 of the red/pink dots on the doors.

Scuttlebutt is 15 confirmed/ positive passenger cases.

15 positive cases / by 1023 passengers= 1.3%.
Hopefully a mathematician will check me 😀.

Day 7 of the mandatory masking coming up.

We’ll see….

Be well.

Bob

25 minutes ago, Scrapnana said:

Most rooms still have the old TVs and the DVD player but I heard they don't have DVDs anymore (but I have not checked that).

I can get anything from the regular room service menu as well as a special menu that is given out a few hours in advance.  Today I got the actual dining room dinner menu.

Kathi intuition is correct. No DVD library anymore. So if interested in viewing, bring some along.

Our cabin happens to have a new RCA/ROKU TV that appears to have been recently installed (Lower Prom). It had 2 HDMI inputs and a RCA input.

The DVD player was non-functional so when in Quebec (pre- GA cruise) I walked to the local WalMart and picked up a $30 small Protec DVD player.

Works fine with the DVD’s we brought for sea days and such.

We also have a small player that plugs into our small laptop that HDMI ‘s into the TV but reduced volume ( going thru computer first) called for the purchase.

Hope this helps the DVD query poster.

Be well.

Bob

55 minutes ago, Scrapnana said:

I had a long talk with Sheri a few days ago at the pool. 

Today's movie choices are three I have never heard of - Luca, Charming the Hearts of Men, and Finding Altamira, and Clifford, the Big Red Dog.  I will probably watch Clifford later.

If you have "The Art of Racing in the Rain" available, we watched that on our last cruise and it was a real tear jerker.  Loved the dog in it.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, sansterre said:

Try the chocolate layer cake on the Room Service Menu.  It's as good as any desert on the 

ship.  Yum😋

Wishing you well/negative,

Jean

I agree.  On a former cruise I ordered it but it was a totally different chocolate cake and I was so disappointed.  I ordered it my first night in captivity, and it was as wonderful as I remembered.  I find the cake on ships often to be dry but the chocolate layer cake is moist and delicious.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Afternoon trivia time-although probably late night for you. 

Because of its six-sided shape, what country is known as "the Hexagon"?

What is the explosion of a star called?

What is the chemical symbol for copper?

I'll check in later with answers. 😊

1 and 2 are wild guesses but 3 I know.

1. Poland

2. supernova

3. Cu

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Good guess on supernova. Never heard of France being “the Hexagon”.

I hope you’re still feeling ok. More trivia later??

I have not heard of France being the hexagon.  I feel great.  More trivia, please!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Her is my latest update on my captivity.

Day 2 of Solitary Confinement - Saturday, October 15

A couple of things from yesterday...

I forgot that I also watched the movie Encanto

There were a couple of comments about my tea - I threw in a package of cold brew tea bags at the last minute.  I can easily make that and I can get all the ice I want.

Now, on to Day 2 which was just about the same as Day 1 - same activities.  I was able to walk five miles with numerous short walks.  The movie I watched was Clifford, the Big Red Dog. The TV has two action movies, two comedies, and two dramas that repeat through the day.  The vast majority are ones that I have never heard of.  I am not into action movies and don't want a depressing drama so I stick to the comedies.

I think I am starting to adjust to captivity.  It doesn't seem as daunting as it did yesterday.

Many of my friends onboard have been calling when they find out my situation.  It's nice to know I have been missed.

Other than my morning call from the Medical Centre to see how I am feeling, there is no communication from them.  I assume when it comes to day 6 they will let me know about testing (or I will call them).

The food is excellent and I actually had breakfast (which I very seldom eat).  For dinner I had French onion soup, "Petite Beef tender" with mashed leeks and potatoes, and a strawberry tart.

I crossed off Day 2 on my board but had a terrible time going to sleep and with the time change (lost another hour), I didn't get to sleep until after 4am (had gone to bed at 3).  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

I’m sorry about your positive test.  I hope you remain symptom free and get out asap.

It appears you have been able to remain in your cabin.  Have they eliminated the quarantine area of ship?

Since you’re from VA, here’s some Chesapeake Bay trivia.

1. How many pounds of seafood does the Bay produce yearly?

2. What do locals call the striped bass in the bay?

3. What is the largest fish in the bay?

• Like 1