Live from the 2022 Grand Africa

Scrapnana

1 hour ago, Scrapnana said:

A quick update (or maybe I should type very slowly to kill time).  On this morning’s Covid test, I tested positive.  I made it 2 1/2 years without it and somehow in the last week, I get it.  At least I did not test positive last Friday which would have meant I couldn’t have gone on the cruise at all.  I have no symptoms.

Five days in my cabin sounds like a life sentence.  Luckily, I have a number of knitting and crocheting projects, 10 books, games on my computer, and internet.  I will get my steps in by walking back and forth from my door to the window (12 steps, BTW).  I can stand at the window and watch the free people walk the promenade deck.  And then there is always eating.  I eat when I am bored.  I’m afraid I will gain ten pounds in five days.

Our first port is my fifth day, so I will miss Funchal.  Hopefully, when they test me again, it will be negative.  I have three home tests and they gave us two this morning, so I will probably test myself on Sunday and Monday.

I will not be posting daily unless something exciting happens (no idea what that might be).  Basically, my day is going to be knit, read, eat, use the computer, knit, read, eat, etc. which does not make for interesting reading.  

So far, two nurses have come to my cabin to double check the test (not sure how you could misread two lines) and I got a call asking for my medical history.  I wonder if they put a big scarlet letter “C” on my door to warn others away???

All for now.

What symptoms do you have?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

What symptoms do you have?

Lase line of the first paragraph she mentions no symptoms. 

@Scrapnanaso sorry to hear you have tested positive and wishing you a negative test in the immediate future!! 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

At least you’ll be 5 days not 10. 

Unless they've changed the protocol since March when we tested positive on Zuiderdam, the day a person tests positive is counted as Day 0 and you must test negative on Day 5 (which is actually the sixth day one's been isolated) to be released; if still positive, it's mandatory full 10 days (and release on the eleventh day).

Either way, it's boring as hell and I can't imagine doing it without a verandah. 

Edited by zelker
  • Like 2

Kathi, I am sorry to hear that you tested positive.  I know the feeling.  I dodged it for 2 1/2 years like you, and then went to a 50th high school reunion and ended up catching it there.  Fortunately, my symptoms were mild, so I was over it in a few days.  I hope your symptoms are mild and you are soon able to enjoy your cruise again. 

• Like 2

Oh no!  So sorry.  I am following your blog because we really wanted to go on this cruise. 

We just returned from a 30 day Baltic/Iceland cruise(9/27) and tested positive the day we got home. We also had managed to stay covid free for the last 2 1/2 years(even having taken 2 15+ day cruises!  We did get sick, so make sure to watch your symptoms and get the medication needed.  I ended up with a sinus infection, so needed antibiotics. Most people are fine, but we did get pretty sick.

On the Island Princess there was a lot of covid and many people coughing and sneezing.  I wasn't surprised really.  Lots and lots of tables outside people's doors and a letter from the captain saying masks required everywhere inside the last few days of the cruise.

I only wrote to suggest that you ask for a PCR test because it is more accurate and a few people who intially tested positive, asked for PCR and then tested negative.  Is that an option for you?  I would at least ask, and for sure if you still test positive on day 5 ask.  Unfortunately, my husband is still testing positive after two plus weeks, it took me about 8 days to test negative. 

Good luck and thanks for the blog.  Love the trivia questions! 

• Like 2

So, so sorry you had a positive test!  We avoided CoVid until we took a cruise in August.  At least we made all our ports before DW started feeling something was off.  I tested positive a couple of days after DW’s positive test.  Even though she had stronger symptoms, DW eventually tested negative quicker than I did and I had very mild symptoms.  Hope you continue with no symptoms and test negative soon so you can enjoy the rest of your cruise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zelker said:

Unless they've changed the protocol since March when we tested positive on Zuiderdam, the day a person tests positive is counted as Day 0 and you must test negative on Day 5 (which is actually the sixth day one's been isolated) to be released; if still positive, it's mandatory full 10 days (and release on the eleventh day).

Either way, it's boring as hell and I can't imagine doing it without a verandah. 

You are right.  I called and they said I would be tested again on the morning of the 20th.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scrapnana said:

You are right.  I called and they said I would be tested again on the morning of the 20th.

Sorry to have been the bearer of bad news but at least now you know what to expect.  Here's hoping you test negative on the 20th!  🙏

Kathi, so sorry to hear about your positive test.  I agree with asking about a PCR test if possible to confirm since you have no symptoms at all.  I hope you are negative on the 20th so you don't miss much of your cruise.

We also remained Covid free for 2+ years until we went on our first cruise since 2020. That was this  June on Island Princess.  We were not released until a negative test and that took 8 days for me and 10 for DH.  Unfortunately they quarantined us in an oceanview room in a designated Covid "wing" instead of our own balcony cabin  We weren't terribly sick, just minor cold-like symptoms, but it did get boring just sleeping, eating, watching TV, reading and doing Sudoku all day.  Fresh air would have helped I think.  

Please keep us updated on your days anyway.  It helps to have people supporting you and we want to do our part in that.

• Like 2

So sorry OP got Covid.  

My recent August Eurodam Covid experience is if you get Antigen swabbed and it shows positive then they swab you a second time the ship takes the sample back to the lab to do PCR test.  If you get a call on the phone to say you have Covid - you have Covid.  I asked about PCR and the Nurse explained it to me.  Also some people are eligible for Paxlovid cost $750.   Harry used Covid and it worked without any rebound.

I think next cruise I will carry several self tests for each person.  Two per person was not sufficient.

Peter

I am so sorry that you will have to endure the coming days of quarantine, but glad to hear that so far you aren't feeling too bad. 

I hope you will continue your daily blog, even if in an abbreviated form. With future cruises planned, I know I am interested in how things are handled. 

Hopefully once you get on the other side of this infection, you will have much stronger immunity to Covid and can truly enjoy the rest of your journey.

I'm curious--what prompted the covid test in the first place?  Did HAL require everyone to be tested?  Now, maybe I'm answering my own question--you say you didn't have any symptoms so HAL must have required everyone to be tested? 

Re second test, she mentioned they came to her room twice in a day--we had that on Celebrity, and the second test was the PCR test to confirm diagnosis.  So she might have already had one. 

One should always request copies in writing of all test results, promptly.

I'm so sorry you tested positive; but now, the flip side, is at least after this you'll have 3-4 months of immunity, according to our own doctors.  I hope your symptoms remain non-existant or mild at worst. 

Edited by 12cruise2
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Scrapnana said:

A quick update (or maybe I should type very slowly to kill time).  On this morning’s Covid test, I tested positive.  I made it 2 1/2 years without it and somehow in the last week, I get it.  At least I did not test positive last Friday which would have meant I couldn’t have gone on the cruise at all.  I have no symptoms.

Five days in my cabin sounds like a life sentence.  Luckily, I have a number of knitting and crocheting projects, 10 books, games on my computer, and internet.  I will get my steps in by walking back and forth from my door to the window (12 steps, BTW).  I can stand at the window and watch the free people walk the promenade deck.  And then there is always eating.  I eat when I am bored.  I’m afraid I will gain ten pounds in five days.

Our first port is my fifth day, so I will miss Funchal.  Hopefully, when they test me again, it will be negative.  I have three home tests and they gave us two this morning, so I will probably test myself on Sunday and Monday.

I will not be posting daily unless something exciting happens (no idea what that might be).  Basically, my day is going to be knit, read, eat, use the computer, knit, read, eat, etc. which does not make for interesting reading.  

So far, two nurses have come to my cabin to double check the test (not sure how you could misread two lines) and I got a call asking for my medical history.  I wonder if they put a big scarlet letter “C” on my door to warn others away???

All for now.

So sorry to hear this Kathi. I can truly sympathize having been in the same situation in May on The Rotterdam. I tested positive on the 22nd and would have never known if they hadn’t tested the entire ship prior to the Naming Ceremony since I had absolutely no symptoms. Fortunately I tested negative the morning of the Naming Ceremony so was able to attend that. As I recall, the 9 days I was in isolation were incredibly boring so my heart goes out to you & wish you the very best!