Turn Down Service is going away - will daily room service be next?

The-Inside-Cabin

More and more people are reporting that daily turn down service is only offered "on request" or not offered at all.  

Many people, with the best of intentions, cheerfully forgo this service to "help" out their overworked room stewards.  

Marriot recently announced a permanent change to their daily room service - more HERE

Here is the new Marriott standard - the temporary COVID protocols are now permanent.  

What's New?

• Premium Hotels, excluding Resorts, will offer Daily Service
  • Select and Extended-Stay Hotels will offer Every-Other-Day Service
  • Luxury Hotels/Resorts and Premium Resorts will offer Daily Full Clean Service

Daily Full Clean Service is now only in Luxury brands -

Will this be coming soon to HAL - only Suites will get daily "full clean service"  (maybe Club Orange)   - No way you say?   Hmmmm Don't count on it.   

Back to Holland America - If I thought that forgoing turn down service was temporary due to staffing shortages - I might be more sympathetic.   However,  if people accept the lower standard of service, it will become the permanent standard of service.   Daily service will become every other day.   Room stewards who now have 32 rooms will have 64 rooms, but every other day.   HAL will reduce costs and our fares will stay the same.  

While forgoing turndown service may "help" a cabin steward on this cruise - in the long run - there will be fewer cabin stewards and some cabin stewards will lose their jobs - or never get offered a job.   How many Marriott maids are out of work now?  

What happened to wine stewards?   HAL experimented by pulling them away - not enough people complained - and they are gone forever.  

If you are happy with once a day service - fine.  How about every other day?   How about once a week?  

I want to see as many of the hard working crew keep their jobs - that's why I always request turn down service.

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2

We are getting turn down service on the Zuiderdam. It appears that many cabins have requested it. I agree with you, if people don’t ask for it service will be gone for good. 

On another note, HAL used to have several types of hot sauces and sambals. Now you are offered Tabasco or Sirachia. I bought my own sauces yesterday. It’s a little thing but a big one for me. 

• Like 2

You make a good point about employment but I think in the case of the hotels it is not only a cost cutting measure it is an employment shortage issue.  I just wish they would inform you at the hotels.  It drives me crazy that there was no notice and therefore no fresh towels. More and more of the hotels are at least going ina dropping off towels and soap.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

You make a good point about employment but I think in the case of the hotels it is not only a cost cutting measure it is an employment shortage issue.  I just wish they would inform you at the hotels.  It drives me crazy that there was no notice and therefore no fresh towels. More and more of the hotels are at least going ina dropping off towels and soap.  

I think it started off as a staffing issue, and staffing issues on land may still be a problem, but the hotels now discovered what level of service people will accept and once the staffing is no longer an issue, I doubt we will see the return of daily maid service - UNLESS - hotels see this as a way to attract customers - then you will see it in their ads "Stay with US!   We offer daily cleaning!"

I don't know for sure, but I think any staffing challenges at sea are due to COVID testing, protocol and visa issues as opposed to not being able to attract employees.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, oakridger said:

If daily cleaning is not offered at that price of hotel, I’ll be booking elsewhere!  Most places there are still options!   😉 ~Nancy 

Make sure you check before you book - I only learned about Marriott's policy when I went to check in - they cheerfully offered me NO service or every other day -

What about daily service I asked?   

Sorry  - But please select from our excuse menu: COVID - Supply Chain - Staffing - Federal Reserve, Inflation, Clean Energy, Doing our part for climate change.

• Like 10
  • Haha 19

Thanks for the heads up on checking ahead of time Pete! The higher end hotels (Grand Hyatt-Fairmont) I have stayed at recently did have daily service and turn down on request. The generic hotels/motels (mom and pop/La Quinta/Best Western/Holiday Inn Express) I stayed at last year on a couple USA road trips didn’t and I was fine with the Covid and staffing explanations but they were only $130-200 per night and I didn’t mind.   ~Nancy

• Like 2

I've never really understood why we need a "turn down" service. Is it really that hard to get into a bed?

Daily fresh towels? Don't do it at home so why on a cruise? I'lI hang my towel up after use or leave it on the floor if, as suggested, I want it replaced.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

On the ship I will continue to ask for 2 x day service, morning and evening.  It is important to have clean towels each day.  Dirty dishes and glasses need to be picked up or replaced and the ice bucket filled.  I also like the chocolates and the towel animals.  My demands are few.  End of cruise tips are distributed.

If I have to choose between morning and evening service I will have to put out the “service please” hanger every day.  We did that when we resumed cruising because there was a rumor of once a day only service so we just told the stewards we would put out the door hanger when we were ready for service.  It worked like a charm.

In a hotel I don’t ask for the same level of service.  If I don’t need clean towels I would rather the “cleaning crew” stay out of my room.  

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I've never really understood why we need a "turn down" service. Is it really that hard to get into a bed?

Daily fresh towels? Don't do it at home so why on a cruise? I'lI hang my towel up after use or leave it on the floor if, as suggested, I want it replaced.

Where do you hang two towels and a washcloth to dry in a small ship bathroom?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

Where do you hang two towels and a washcloth to dry in a small ship bathroom?

I've never seen a ship bathroom with less than at least two towel hangers.

Edited by lyndarra
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

You are correct - you don't "need" it.   I clean my own bathroom once a week at home.   I don't "need" daily cleaning service on ships.   But I enjoy the contribution this makes to my vacation experience. 

I bus my own tables at home - I don't "need" that either.   We could start bussing our own tables  in the lido.

I didn't "need" wine stewards, but I miss their service.  I know some who are no longer with HAL as a result or had their pay cut and are now "beverage runners" 

Everyone has their own preference as to what they "need"  Which is why there are so many choices in cruise lines.    I sailed with Viking earlier - and I will be back on Viking if HAL no longer delivers an acceptable value to me.    But for now - I am very happy with HAL and I want to see all the crewmembers keep their jobs.

There are some people who enjoy "freighter cruises"  (they are not as cheap as you might think) 

Where's the Yum Yum man?  He's in the unemployment line....why?   No one really "needed" a Yum Yum man.  

If someone doesn't want the service or enjoy the service - fine.   But then more people will eventually get laid off - and I would rather not see that happen.  

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Here's my take-away.  Seems the loyalists still want their servants to serve them.  One choice - upgrade your brand.  Serious question...how come so many who grew up loving HAL didn't switch to the Luxury brands?  Too expensive?  Then maybe not complain so much when HAL tries to squeeze nickels.  Another choice - sleep with 4 in a room.  Stewards won't let you set up the Pullman, so whether you like it or not you can still get somebody to remind you of your importance and to wish you a good night.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Make sure you check before you book - I only learned about Marriott's policy when I went to check in - they cheerfully offered me NO service or every other day -

What about daily service I asked?   

Sorry  - But please select from our excuse menu: COVID - Supply Chain - Staffing - Federal Reserve, Inflation, Clean Energy, Doing our part for climate change.

The Hilton chain also went to reduced service like that described for Marriott.  It was first due to COVID, but they continued ever since and now set as their daily policy.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I agree that turn down service is not really needed...but only if you are only using the regular beds.  However, if you have 3-4 in a room using the sofa bed (or pullman bed), turn down service is a necessity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bear in mind - no one really "needs" to go on a cruise in the first place.    

I want to highlight the connection between the  passenger's service level expectation and the number of crewmembers the cruise line hires.    

If you are happy with less service - then there will be fewer employees.   If that's OK - then OK!

I prefer to see more people getting jobs and higher pay.     Requesting less service doesn't "help" crewmembers - except in the short term.

I have sailed on Seabourn, Crystal, Cunard, Celebrity and Viking.   HAL has the best crewmembers and the best individual service of any of the others.   But if people don't want the service - like the wine stewards - they will go away.   

If want to maintain current crew staffing levels - don't compromise your service expectations.    

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

I don't need turn down service, but it's nice to have them come into the room when they drop off the daily program to empty the trash and see if we need new towels, etc.  I can do without the towel animals, but the chocolates !!!  As I said on another thread, I'm planning on bringing my own and putting a chocolate on my and DH's pillows before we head out for dinner.  When we return, I'm going to act surprised at the fact that we've got chocolates.   LOL   

• Like 10
  • Haha 7

I like to be pampered on vacation. 

17 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

On the ship I will continue to ask for 2 x day service, morning and evening.  It is important to have clean towels each day.  Dirty dishes and glasses need to be picked up or replaced and the ice bucket filled.  I also like the chocolates and the towel animals.  My demands are few.  End of cruise tips are distributed.

Agreed.  We asked for and received twice daily service of our Zuiderdam cabin in February.   I did tell the room steward I didn't need any towel animals but still received a few cute ones on the cruise.  

12 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Where's the Yum Yum man?  He's in the unemployment line....why?   No one really "needed" a Yum Yum man.  

If someone doesn't want the service or enjoy the service - fine.   But then more people will eventually get laid off - and I would rather not see that happen.  

My husband refuses to use self checkout lines because they take away jobs.

14 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I didn't "need" wine stewards, but I miss their service.  I know some who are no longer with HAL as a result or had their pay cut and are now "beverage runners" 

I miss the wine stewards too.  We started ordering wine in the bar and bringing it to the MDR because it took so long to get a drink after we were seated, the beverages runners were over worked!  

1 hour ago, dchip said:

On another note, HAL used to have several types of hot sauces and sambals. Now you are offered Tabasco or Sriracha.

I was able to find a wide variety of hot sauce near the distant lands station in the Lido.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

others.   But if people don't want the service - like the wine stewards - they will go away

I more miss the wine stewards and the yum yum man - those established ambiance and a sense of departure from every day life.  

As long as I understand the rules and policies I am not too concerned.  As voiced above I just don’t want unexpected issues.  I travel for a living and coming back after a long day to a hotel room that doesn’t have fresh towels, soap or coffee is disappointing and causes me to make the trek down or phone call to get these small services. 

I never was a fan of towel animals but I do miss the flowers.  Now I pay for my flowers 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I don't need turn down service, but it's nice to have them come into the room when they drop off the daily program to empty the trash and see if we need new towels, etc.  I can do without the towel animals, but the chocolates !!!  As I said on another thread, I'm planning on bringing my own and putting a chocolate on my and DH's pillows before we head out for dinner.  When we return, I'm going to act surprised at the fact that we've got chocolates.   LOL   

On our cruise a couple of weeks ago, we asked the stewart for just morning service and no turn down and only replace towels on the floor. Worked out well, and he did still deliver programs or notices in the evening (bit did not leave towel animals or do anything else)

We did get 'one' towel animal mid cruise and we placed him the back of the sofa (intact) with sunglasses and we didn't receive anymore after that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

On our cruise a couple of weeks ago, we asked the stewart for just morning service and no turn down and only replace towels on the floor. Worked out well, and he did still deliver programs or notices in the evening (bit did not leave towel animals or do anything else)

We did get 'one' towel animal mid cruise and we placed him the back of the sofa (intact) with sunglasses and we didn't receive anymore after that.

Towel animals and chocolates are now reserved for Gala/dressy nights.  Of course you might get a special steward who goes above and beyond. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Towel animals and chocolates are now reserved for Gala/dressy nights.  Of course you might get a special steward who goes above and beyond. 

Most crewmembers will bend over backwards to to make their guests happy - so I presume that if a guest makes it known they "like" towel animals - that may increase their frequency.    On my recent Iceland cruise our room steward said that official policy was chocolate and towel animals only on gala nights (except cabins with children get them every day)   He went on to say -that anyone who REALLY wants towel animals or chocolate will probably get them more frequently.  

• Like 4