Sea Dog is Live with Life on Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness in the MDR. 10-16.

Sea Dog

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

That’s a lot of stingrays and great video. We swam with the stingrays the other day in Moorea, but not nearly as many. I don’t think they fed the ones where we were. My pictures will be coming up soon.

Happy Anniversary to you and Linda.

I was amazed at how many there was. There was 2 other tour boats with us so they must have had good numbers too. The guide had a big bag of squid. The rays went crazy when he brought that out. So I think the large numbers that came out know that it will be feeding time.. I am still amazed that the handlers know the one ray that comes to them everytime

• Like 5

Remember These????????

E6C9D91E-8C94-465B-8831-2761E4786AFA.jpeg.74657d0d00a5441be8ff0cf086e576e8.jpeg

I remember my parents taking me on a vacation cross country.

095E4F01-29C7-4580-8D58-1D75F89B0E72.thumb.jpeg.2f78387ffc2236d44015ffb30558c72b.jpeg

We stayed at one of those road side motels with the colorful neon signs along Route 66. The motel’s bed had one of the massage beds and for a quarter the bed would vibrate for about 10 minutes. My brother and I convinced Dad to drop in a quarter to try it. We never giggled so much in our lives.

So watch Tom The Turkey Towel. I slept like a baby last night. The gentle vibration from the ships engines and the slight rocking from the sea put this Sea Dog in heaven. I completely forgot about the pain in shoulder. And hey I didn’t have to put in a quarter!

Soon breakfast in the MDR. We are at Falmouth, Jamaica and will be at the Bamboo Beach Club for VIP lunch and drinks. Yeah Mon!!!

• Like 11
  • Haha 9

42 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Remember These????????

YES. This brings back memories of staying in Motel 6's with my family when I was a kid. We three kiddos would always beg for the $.25 "magic fingers" ride. 😄 My parents would usually give us the quarter, but they wouldn't pay the extra fee to have access to the key that unlocked the TV. 

Edited by TravelGirlinDallas
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Here it is!!!! It only took about two hours to upload this 4K video to You Tube. Here is a little video that I quickly threw together on our excursion to Stingray City.

The video was all shot on my new Go Pro 11 Hero at 4K resolution and 60fps. The video quality is amazing. The only problem I had was sometimes it would switch modes on me. I think I needed to do a screen lock since the water may have pushed up against the back touch screen and switched it. But any way I hope you enjoy video of these amazing creatures. This was really something special.

Amazing!!!

You and the GoPro did an amazing job with this video.

Breath taking!!

We will be in Cayman Island in December.

That's one of the Islands we have not booked 

anything yet.  

The water looks amazing, so shallow and 

crystal clear.  

Did you have enough time to enjoy the

ocean, or was it a short time once you were

finished with the photo op??

We are looking to spend some time swimming.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Remember These????????

095E4F01-29C7-4580-8D58-1D75F89B0E72.thumb.jpeg.2f78387ffc2236d44015ffb30558c72b.jpeg

We stayed at one of those road side motels with the colorful neon signs along Route 66. The motel’s bed had one of the massage beds and for a quarter the bed would vibrate for about 10 minutes. My brother and I convinced Dad to drop in a quarter to try it. We never giggled so much in our lives.

So watch Tom The Turkey Towel. I slept like a baby last night. The gentle vibration from the ships engines and the slight rocking from the sea put this Sea Dog in heaven. I completely forgot about the pain in shoulder. And hey I didn’t have to put in a quarter!

Soon breakfast in the MDR. We are at Falmouth, Jamaica and will be at the Bamboo Beach Club for VIP lunch and drinks. Yeah Mon!!!

Yes, I remember those!  And as Forest Gump would say “That’s all I have to say about that!”  

Anything else would be NSFFT (Not suitable for family thread). 😏

• Haha 7

One of the new features on my Go Pro 11 Hero Black (Why the long name Go Pro?) is called Star Trails. Basically it’s a time lapse that follows the trail of stars through the night sky. I was concerned how it would turn as the ship was moving. Star Trails is meant for the camera to be in a stationary position. You will see some of the smoke from the ship’s smokestacks but for the most part I’m pleased with the result. It was a beautiful stary night last night after trying the previous 3 nights. Here is a short video edited in the GovPro app. I’ll post the full video later when I can get it uploaded. Enjoy!!

• Like 14

26 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Your photos turned out so great from this excursion! I have been to the Cayman Islands several times (both cruise & land), but I have always been afraid to swim with the stingrays. Your pics & stories are making me wish I had done it.

You should do it. They are so gentle and soft. A couple of the kids kinda freaked out but hey they were kids. It was probably the best experience we have ever had.

25 minutes ago, LATTELOVE said:

Amazing!!!

You and the GoPro did an amazing job with this video.

Breath taking!!

We will be in Cayman Island in December.

That's one of the Islands we have not booked 

anything yet.  

The water looks amazing, so shallow and 

crystal clear.  

Did you have enough time to enjoy the

ocean, or was it a short time once you were

finished with the photo op??

We are looking to spend some time swimming.

The time with the Sting Rays was about 45 minutes. People were just enjoying the water but I too wish we were there longer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

You should do it. They are so gentle and soft. A couple of the kids kinda freaked out but hey they were kids. It was probably the best experience we have ever had.

The time with the Sting Rays was about 45 minutes. People were just enjoying the water but I too wish we were there longer.

I have done this a few times and it was always very enjoyable, but haven’t done it in a decade or two .

• Like 2

Breakfast in the MDR. So last night I asked my waiter Eka if it would be possible at breakfast to get some Indian Scrambled Eggs called Bhurji.

They are basically a Indian style spiced scrambled eggs popularly known as Anda bhurji. Anda is a Hindi word that translates to eggs and bhurji refers to scramble.

1AB4425A-15A1-4714-B80E-476FEEDF0946.thumb.jpeg.50b127e1f5bfc2ad420b8919772f0dcc.jpeg

I really liked them because they have so much flavor and are a little bit spicy. I thought it was great that they made something off the menu for me. Most of the chefs are from India and they cook a lot of Indian favorites for the crew. Most of you know this but for those who don’t you can always ask for Indian food in the MDR. They will be so happy to accommodate you. My waiter this morning from India seemed very happy that I requested it and enjoyed it.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

One of the new features on my Go Pro 11 Hero Black (Why the long name Go Pro?) is called Star Trails. Basically it’s a time lapse that follows the trail of stars through the night sky. I was concerned how it would turn as the ship was moving. Star Trails is meant for the camera to be in a stationary position. You will see some of the smoke from the ship’s smokestacks but for the most part I’m pleased with the result. It was a beautiful stary night last night after trying the previous 3 nights. Here is a short video edited in the GovPro app. I’ll post the full video later when I can get it uploaded. Enjoy!!

Nice! Looking forward to the long version!

53 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

They will be so happy to accommodate you.

Not an endian food story, but this reminds me of our last cruise with my aunt and her friends (9 days on Anthem).  She was not feeling well on the cruise, so she was eating light and at off hours.  We ate all but two dinners in the Windjammer.  On the 3rd day, the Windjammer head chef came over - he had noticed that we were there a lot, and wanted to make sure everything was OK (e.g were we upset with the MDR?).  We explained why we were there, and he told us how happy he was that we were spending time with him and his staff.

The chef asked if we wanted anything special; my aunt asked if there would be any food to celebrate Rosh Hashana (the Jewish new year) in a couple of nights.  As it turned out, he was from Kerala in India - which has a large Jewish population!  Not only did he make sure that there was a traditional menu available (with a great brisket🤤)... he also got them an invitation to a "private" seder that he was "catering" in a closed-off section of the Windjammer.

Sadly, that was our last cruise with my aunt - "not feeling well" turned out to be colon cancer, and she was gone within a year and a half.  But the cruise was a great time with her - more so because of a little guy from India who appreciated their kind words for him and his staff.

--bruce T.

• Like 24

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Remember These????????

On those Magic Fingers, I figured out that a strategically placed diaper pin through two wires would keep that thing running all night for free…. 😁

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Remember These????????

I slept like a baby last night. The gentle vibration from the ships engines and the slight rocking from the sea put this Sea Dog in heaven. I completely forgot about the pain in shoulder. And hey I didn’t have to put in a quarter!

We bought an adjustable bed frame from Sam's Club that includes vibration - no quarters needed!  I can't go to sleep without it.  Of course the motion and engine vibration on the ship is a suitable substitute.

• Like 1

Many of you know me as a Christmas freak. I put up seven trees and have an extensive Santa collection that my mom started. Many of them hand carved. So when I saw this I had to have it. Meet Santa Sea Dog.

743E0C96-10E2-4CCB-8B50-69B395A78A21.thumb.jpeg.8d8c6536cc1e29dca2bc97836cf34e77.jpeg

personalized for me.

812167A7-728F-409E-8531-03E864844D18.thumb.jpeg.cdd347839eefa51d02735418a4a688bd.jpeg

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 34

Looks like you had a great time at Stingray City and had a much smaller crowd than we did.  Here's what it looked like for us in 2010.  There was a ring of boats with guests wading in the middle, and more boats waiting for a spot in the "ring" to open up.  That was in June, which is probably their peak crowd season.  It was still a lot of fun.

DACE672F-893F-4DBD-A2BC-47DFD89CA448IMG_2084.thumb.JPG.1807a4ace328782f7b0d3e31a2893bd9.JPG

For those interested, we used Captain Marvin's, who claims that they get to Stingray City earlier than most other excursions to beat the crowd (true for us) and then they go snorkeling somewhere else.

• Like 5