Questions on cutting a cruise short

MarinerAlex

I have a cruise coming up in November which I may need to cut short (e.g. leave the cruise midway) due to work, and have a few questions:

1. Do I need to tell Celebrity beforehand, or is this something that I would just handle once I’m on the cruise?

2. Would I still get all the CC points for the entire 7 night sailing, or just for the 3 to 4 nights I would actually be on the cruise?

What other things should I be considering?

I would prefer to still go on the cruise for a few nights, rather than cancelling this outright. 

Yes you need to get permission preferably before the cruise.   They charge a fee of about $60 to process your application.    The ability may be limited to which port and both U.S. and other country regulations.   The PSVA  Passenger Vessel Service Act have specific restriction and the cruise ship could be fined for violation. 

I used it to take a side trip to the Taj Majal between two ports -   They process the application quickly and then send you a letter granting approval.

I would suspect you would get the full CC points -  at least I did while off the ship for 3 days.

Edited by Jim_Iain

This happened to my sister a few years ago.  Had nothing to do with any work thing, but a death in the family.  I’m trying to recall, but she disembarked in the Bahamas to come home.  IIRC, it was costly….as in close to or over the cost of the cruise to leave the cruise early.  Don’t recall the particulars, except she said she should have just kept the “in-law” in ice until she finished the cruise.  She was kidding, of course (I think).

22 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

No idea how it works but when in port you could simply not get back on.

Might raise a few red flags at the top of the gangway when you tried to disembark with your luggage.  Likely to be questioned at that point.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, canderson said:

Might raise a few red flags at the top of the gangway when you tried to disembark with your luggage.  Likely to be questioned at that point.

This right here.  As well as, causing undue stress on the captain and crew as they get ready to leave realizing one person has not returned.  "Do we wait 15 more mins, do we not?" plus by the way it reads - it might not be the entire party getting off.  They will inevitably be left to answer questions to the whereabouts etc and most likely have to deal with any penalties etc.  

I would not suggest just not coming back as a course of action.  And by the OP comments above, I don't think they would do that either.

Edited by Team Stag

Sorry that my answer seemed unfinished.  Downline disembarkation used to be OK but it is not being approved now. Since the restart what the OP proposed won’t work.

When they used to allow it you had to apply in advance and pay a fee. It had to be approved both by the ship and by the country involved. It had to not violate the PVSA. You paid the entire price of the cruise, no prorated amount for the days missed.   You got the full Captains Club points.

We frequently she reports here on Cruise Critic where people tell us that they used to do this, that it was easy, that it was a simple form, but all of this is pre-Covid. Since the restart, no approvals have been reported here.

1 hour ago, canderson said:

If you carry off luggage, sure, and even then I would imagine they’d still let you off but it’ll be a longer and more involved process.

However if you leave your packed luggage behind, walk off the ship and don’t return by the all aboard, the crew will take it off for you.

2 hours ago, Team Stag said:

This right here.  As well as, causing undue stress on the captain and crew as they get ready to leave realizing one person has not returned.  "Do we wait 15 more mins, do we not?" plus by the way it reads - it might not be the entire party getting off.  They will inevitably be left to answer questions to the whereabouts etc and most likely have to deal with any penalties etc.  

I would not suggest just not coming back as a course of action.  And by the OP comments above, I don't think they would do that either.

Really strange assumption.  It's not uncommon for folks to miss the ship and the most common scenario is people at a nearby bar who think "yeah it's all aboard but the ship is still there <hiccup>, I'll have just one more <hiccup>".  The ship usually stays in port for 30-60mins after the all aboard yet they'll pull the gangway right at all aboard and not let any late passengers on else on.  Sometimes exceptions are made.

6 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Really strange assumption.  It's not uncommon for folks to miss the ship and the most common scenario is people at a nearby bar ...

In Cozumel, we call that a "Señor Frog's" event.  Always stand port side and listen to the 'count down'.  Have seen it miss zero a few times.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

If you do that at some ports you could end up in the local jail. 

Such as which port(s)?  I could see maybe some European ports but doubt there's many in the Caribbean.  Over the past 1.5 years there have been many reports by VLoggers of folks getting kicked off the ship for bad behavior and others for missing the ship for simply being too late, no mention of being arrested or jailed.

20 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Such as which port(s)?

I saw a vlog not that long ago about someone who tried this on a western Caribbean  cruise. The guy wanted to stay in one of the ports and visit with his new girlfriend who lived there. Unfortunately he made no attempt to check with the local immigration authorities, and ended up in jail before being deported. How did the authorities know? The cruise line informed the local authorities when he didn't return to the ship.

Edited by mom says

4 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

No idea how it works but when in port you could simply not get back on.

You will definitely be stopped by security if you have your luggage with you when you try to leave the ship.    Not a good recommendation at all.   Let alone the potential of the whole ship being delayed in departure as they wait for a missing passenger. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Such as which port(s)?  I could see maybe some European ports but doubt there's many in the Caribbean.  Over the past 1.5 years there have been many reports by VLoggers of folks getting kicked off the ship for bad behavior and others for missing the ship for simply being too late, no mention of being arrested or jailed.

Jamaica was one. Caribbean countries do have immigration and customs authorities and laws. 

OP here, lots of good warnings on this thread. I’m going to wait this out this the last minute, if I can go I’ll go, if not then I’ll cancel and not get on the ship. That seems to be the 2 best options based on the observations provided but this thread.

Great response @MarinerAlex of Not taking the ‘advice’ of just not going back on board at the port you’d have to fly home from. 

I tried to come up with the right wording to describe such suggestions but I’ll leave it there because most of the ‘words’ would get me banned!! 

Just Wow. 

Den 

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1

Yes, one thing to take into consideration is when you visit a nation by cruise ship, the expectation is that you arrive with the ship, and then leave with the ship. If that plan changes, by missing the ship, you need to undergo proper immigration procedures to the country. Normally, this is worked out with the port agent in the situation of missing the ship, or an emergency that requires you to leave the ship and fly home.

Just showing up at the airport at some point in the future to fly home without doing this will cause issues.

• Like 1

The OP has the handle on this, and although its good to respond with rational inputs of why just not returning to the ship is a Very Bad idea, I think the few who suggested it would never do it themselves…..I would hope. 

Den