Arriving early at check in

mek

16 hours ago, CruiseMomTX said:

BecciBoo - Were on the Allure Nov 27th out of Galveston, first cruise since early 2020, yay!  How early do they start boarding?  We have 11:00 check in time and are diamond and plan to get there early but not sure how early to try for, lol.

Our check in was 10:30 to 11:00 but since Allure is bigger it makes sense to start a little later.  You can wait early or wait late, however you hang.  THere are no special boarding perks for Diamond now, nothing but suite guests/Pinnacles board first.  But as I said, we only waited a few minutes, about long enough to connect up with the ship's wifi and watch the safety video and we were boarding, we went directly to our lifeboat and checked in and then to the centrum bar.😁  I think we arrived and sat on outside benches at about 10:00.  We were walking through the doors right at 10:30.

On 10/15/2022 at 9:43 AM, BecciBoo said:

We will never veer from our current strategy which is to sign up for the first entry time slot: 10:30-11:00 and show up before that time. 

That's our strategy too.  In fact, TONIGHT I'll be staying up until midnight to grab an early time slot for our December cruise -- very excited!  Of course, this option is open to us because we drive to the port /spend the night in a hotel within an hour's drive.  

From this board, I have the impression that different ports treat things differently, but Miami was strict about appointment times.  They admitted people with The Key and those in suites first ... then those of us with 10:30 appointments.  The process was not completely smooth, but we actually set foot on the ship at 10:28.  

On 10/16/2022 at 11:11 AM, rudeney said:

It does sound like they are phasing out the printed Cruise Compass, but a week ago, Voyager had them.  

On Explorer in September we had to ask for a printed copy.  We did not get one for the first day (and I asked for one at Guest Services), but our cabin steward left them on our bed each evening after that.  RC, if you're listening -- I will ALWAYS want a printed Compass.  

On 10/16/2022 at 11:43 AM, rudeney said:

And that's a real issue.  Why is the paper, that was printed the night before, more up-to-date than dynamic web/app content that can be changed with a few keystrokes?  If RCCL is trying to push everyone into the app, they need to make sure it's properly updated.  

Yes -- on my recent cruise I was super-excited to go watch the new Downton Abbey movie.  I arrived early to the appointed place and chatted with a couple other people who were equally excited. 

The diamonds-and-watches sales pitch came into the venue, and we asked a crew member was was happening -- she assured us the movie would start after the sales pitch was done.  It was an utterly ridiculous experience, and we heckled the guy.  (Seriously, every woman should aspire to own 5 types of diamond jewelry, and you can tell where a man's going in life by his watch.  Not what my mama taught me.  Not what my preacher says.  Not the way I live my life.)  Anyway, after that drivel was done, a group arrived for a private event -- no sign of our movie.  So we went to Guest Services.  They were unaware that a movie was scheduled -- and when we showed them the app (our source of information), they were unaware and couldn't have cared less.  

• Haha 2

I don't understand how "covid" improved boarding.  The idea of showing up, getting scanned by a person with a tablet, and being checked in, wait until rooms open, and get your cards at the doorway.  Depending on the ship (quantum class started it) this was around pre-covid.  It was always the plan to streamline the process with the apps

The only thing that happened was the muster drill, and I think that was already in the works, but maybe, covid moved it faster.  

Many of the things also depends on the port.  

Boarding times are set up to ease congestion, but we are part of the me generation, where, a suggestion used to mean something to do, but now it means everyone else should do it, but not me. So, yes, boarding times matter, but no one bothers since it's everyone elses issue

11 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Our check in was 10:30 to 11:00 but since Allure is bigger it makes sense to start a little later.  You can wait early or wait late, however you hang.  THere are no special boarding perks for Diamond now, nothing but suite guests/Pinnacles board first.  But as I said, we only waited a few minutes, about long enough to connect up with the ship's wifi and watch the safety video and we were boarding, we went directly to our lifeboat and checked in and then to the centrum bar.😁  I think we arrived and sat on outside benches at about 10:00.  We were walking through the doors right at 10:30.

If you are in the terminal when boarding starts, they still board Diamond Plus and Diamonds right after suites and Pinnacles. However, there is no special check-in lines for Diamonds and Diamond Plus at the terminal. This has been my experience at Port Miami, Port Everglades and Port Canaveral. Other ports might be different. 

On 10/16/2022 at 8:11 AM, rudeney said:

It does sound like they are phasing out the printed Cruise Compass, but a week ago, Voyager had them.  We got one every day, and I asked some others on the ship to make sure it wasn't because of our age or being in a suite - everyone got them.  I am guessing it's ship-specific, though.  I think it's just cost-cutting, and hopefully they will still print them for those of us who do want them.  If not, then they need to really beef up the app so we can flag things we want to do and create reminders and daily plans.  

Agreed, the app is a poor replacement.  It's like reading with tunnel vision since the screen is so small compared with a 8.5x11 sheet of paper.

Edited by mpk
  • Like 2

On 10/20/2022 at 11:22 AM, BecciBoo said:

Thank you!  

13 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

If you are in the terminal when boarding starts, they still board Diamond Plus and Diamonds right after suites and Pinnacles. However, there is no special check-in lines for Diamonds and Diamond Plus at the terminal. This has been my experience at Port Miami, Port Everglades and Port Canaveral. Other ports might be different. 

Recently at Port Canaveral as D+ we have been directed by personnel to check in lines with the Pinnacles and Suites.  The personnel do seem to be attentive to length of the various lines as they direct us, so YMMV not only by port but perhaps by happenstance.  This happened at both T1 and T5.

On 10/15/2022 at 8:47 AM, BecciBoo said:

Our cruise buds always choose around 1:00 to arrive and board, it always takes them longer than us and we are already toasted and delightful by the time they get to Boleros or the Pub.😜  And often times she is complaining about the slowness and the crowds...I always urge them to come earlier but no go.  In Galveston last month, we were literally the first peeps at the check in desk getting all our papers checked (or I should say our phones since we use the app for everything), it was lovely!

I have observed some of those "delightful" peeps. 😕

4 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Both comments were attempting humor but obviously missed the mark. No worries. 

Sorry I'm a little defensive this evening what with all the nay sayers and people doubting what I'm saying.  Guess that is just the CC way.

19 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Recently at Port Canaveral as D+ we have been directed by personnel to check in lines with the Pinnacles and Suites.  The personnel do seem to be attentive to length of the various lines as they direct us, so YMMV not only by port but perhaps by happenstance.  This happened at both T1 and T5.

How did they know you were D+? One thing that has been consistent at every port is they have never checked my boarding pass outside except  for cruises when I was in a suite and used the suite/Pinnacle line. 

17 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

How did they know you were D+? One thing that has been consistent at every port is they have never checked my boarding pass outside except  for cruises when I was in a suite and used the suite/Pinnacle line. 

Nobody looked at anything outside lately.  Inside signage and personnel verbally separated passé into two security lines (regular vs suites+PC).  As D+, we went through the regular security line (nothing new there; the special D/D+ security line was discontinued before the shut down).  After security, personnel have recently been directing us to the suite/PC check in area, which was a shorter wait with perhaps a tad more space.  Not a big deal; we go wherever they direct us.

On 10/16/2022 at 6:36 AM, jean87510 said:

mek are you on the Allure next week? 

No - we were on the 1/15 sailing - just got home this afternoon.

All went well with check-in.  We arrived around 10:35 am and were onboard by 11:10 am.  No questions about our early arrival and we are only asked if we had been vaxxed - no proof was required.

Everything seemed normal except that there were multiple had washing stations in the Windjammer and at other locations throughout the ship.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2022 at 11:05 AM, livingonthebeach said:

I thoroughly agree that the boarding process and muster drills have improved due to Covid. The process is much faster and does away with that pesky pre-covid PITA muster drill. 

The only thing that irks me about the changes is you have to ask for a Cruise Compass - no more copies at Guest Services - you have to stand in line to ask for one and they look at you like you have ten heads and tell you to use the APP.  You can also ask your room steward to drop one off each evening - I don't mind asking but I liked the pre-covid method better. 

We had a printed Compass waiting for us every evening and never requested it.

On 10/20/2022 at 1:09 PM, Joseph2017China said:

I don't understand how "covid" improved boarding.  The idea of showing up, getting scanned by a person with a tablet, and being checked in, wait until rooms open, and get your cards at the doorway.  Depending on the ship (quantum class started it) this was around pre-covid.  It was always the plan to streamline the process with the apps

The only thing that happened was the muster drill, and I think that was already in the works, but maybe, covid moved it faster.  

Many of the things also depends on the port.  

Boarding times are set up to ease congestion, but we are part of the me generation, where, a suggestion used to mean something to do, but now it means everyone else should do it, but not me. So, yes, boarding times matter, but no one bothers since it's everyone elses issue

Just to be clear - I wasn't trying to arrive early on purpose or ignore my boarding time - I simply didn't have a choice with the time the hotel shuttle picked us up.  I would imagine that quite a few people have that happen and it's not fair to assume people are simply trying to bend the rules just for the heck of it.

1 hour ago, mek said:

Just to be clear - I wasn't trying to arrive early on purpose or ignore my boarding time - I simply didn't have a choice with the time the hotel shuttle picked us up.  I would imagine that quite a few people have that happen and it's not fair to assume people are simply trying to bend the rules just for the heck of it.

Uber or taxi to arrive @ assigned time.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Uber or taxi to arrive @ assigned time.

Nope - my husband is disabled and the shuttles that pull a  trailer have more room for my husband's chair and our bags.  It really is a matter of convenience for us.

• Like 2

On 10/15/2022 at 8:43 AM, BecciBoo said:

We will never veer from our current strategy which is to sign up for the first entry time slot: 10:30-11:00 and show up before that time.  Even sitting in line outside the terminal on benches for 20 minutes or so, we were able to board within 10 minutes of our assigned 10:30 all 3 times this year. Then we relax with a Mojito and view the safety app, check in at our boat station and the rest of the day enjoy life!  This was both in Port Canaveral and Galveston.

Thanks!!! This helped me.  We cruise out of Cape Canaveral in December