APPALLING EXPERIENCE ABOARD CARIBBEAN PRINCESS

--mollyb--

1 hour ago, memoak said:

When we tested positive on the Royal in August they went over our medical history with us and did blood tests for kidney and liver functions before they prescribed Paxlovid 

I'm curious, did they review the severity of your symptoms and then decide to look into Paxlovid, or possibly, did you request the Paxlovid from the medical center?

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

I'm curious, did they review the severity of your symptoms and then decide to look into Paxlovid, or possibly, did you request the Paxlovid from the medical center?

We requested it and then they gathered our health history and did blood tests. As seniors we believed it to be important to keep symptoms down

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

The ship's medical center carrie Paxloid and should have been prescribed by ship's doctor.  Acute failure not to do so.

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

And you know more about the patient's medical histories than the ship's doctor did?  Sometimes doctors don't prescribe some medications for a reason.

13 minutes ago, memoak said:

We requested it and then they gathered our health history and did blood tests. As seniors we believed it to be important to keep symptoms down

Thanks for your response.  I believe you did the right thing by inquiring.  It doesn't sound like the OP asked and it clarifies that it may not have been "Acute failure not to do so."

Based on a subsequent post, it sounds like that poster has become embittered with Princess and now Princess can do no good. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

The ship's medical center carrie Paxloid and should have been prescribed by ship's doctor.  Acute failure not to do so.

Paxloid has a long list of conditions that make people not a candidate to take it.  They include blood tests and a medical history.  No failure by Princess.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Paxloid has a long list of conditions that make people not a candidate to take it.  They include blood tests and a medical history.  No failure by Princess.

We have them access to our medical history and they did a blood test. 

• Like 2

On 10/21/2022 at 10:59 AM, Ombud said:

This is alarming. There should be a pdf document that can be transmitted via app followed up by written info slid under the door

I would hope NOT as your steward also enters other rooms. 

Its the same as quarantine on land here. Does  Canada have different rules?

This 'suggestion' should be the gist of your email as it would benefit others .... again via pdf & written slid under door 

And this is why I might not let Princess know if positive. I can quarantine & be out of room away from others for 15 minutes while steward is in room (I put all trash in cans & make my own bed anyway). We all know Covid doesn't live on surfaces

I want to issue a rebuttal to this bc according to others (and my fuzzy memory) a flyer is on the bed upon embarkation along with info re: Captain Circle and the 1st patter. And according to another poster, pertinent info is transmitted re: disembarkation if positive. Others get Paxlovid at $1000. Another has explained why Canada won't let you disembark mid cruise ($50,000 penalty). Medical Center not PSD is responsible for passenger while positive.. . So it looks like OP was missed in that process

I still think they should include a copy of the passenger contract

Edited by Ombud

I can see why the Medical Center doesn't just offer Plaxlovid to everyone who tests positive.  I can see if it is requested by people who have done their own research and think it is needed, or if the individuals take a turn for the worse.   I'm sure if the OP had called with worsening symptoms, it probably would have been suggested.  But, most people have symptoms like a bad cold/flu, where it really isn't necessary.  

My BIL & SIL contracted COVID on an Alaskan cruise in May and they had no complaints about their care.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately Paxlovid is certainly being over prescribed and over used. With many that are not in the true high risk categories for developing serious disease getting it.  While it has benefit for those most at risk of developing severe Covid, it is also being prescribed to many that are not.  As demonstrated with antibiotics and bacterial infections, antivirals also have the potential for the virus to develop resistance to the drug, which over time result in strains that do not respond to treatment with it.  The cases that have popped up with people responding initially, but the virus returning after a short time is concerning about the potential for a resistant strain to develop.

7 hours ago, dog said:

You mentioned Enchanted in Alaska, right? 
I board Enchanted in Brooklyn this Saturday- maybe you are confused.

I was on Discovery Princess for an Alaska cruise in May this year.  The food we had was excellent, plentiful.  Service was excellent. 

Guess it really varies, doesn’t it?

Correct.  The were embarked Majestic

• Like 1

When I tested positive on our recent Enchanted TA, I inquired about the possibility of receiving paxlovid, as I’m vulnerable and was worried about becoming very ill.

I was told that they did not have paxlovid onboard. Luckily, my symptoms were relatively mild.

• Like 1

Having plowed through these pages with their various off shoot subjects  I am now pleased that we are down under.  I have complained in the past that US gets special treatment, perks  and competitions not available to us but having just taken 4 cruises from UK and here we appear to be in two different planets regarding Princess.

UK cruise on Sky  only staff wore masks but there was no self service at all not even coffee or water in the buffet.  No covid outbreak that we were aware of.

Coral and Majestic in Australia  everyone was tasked to wear masks with 'mask police' travelling with boxes of them in case you had 'forgotten'  and washing hands supervised correctly but buffet in both ships had self service.  again no covid outbreak that we were aware of.

I will hope that this continues on our Majestic cruise next month

• Like 5

Just came off 54 days on Island Princess.  Caught covid 13 days in.  Didn't expect to get it so fast.  Have had vax and 2 boosters.  Knew it was a possibility.  Treated very well.  Quarantined in our stateroom (balcony so lucky) Ships crew called us 6 times a day, gave us anything we wanted to eat from their new app service, menus from the dining restaurants, booze.  No paxlovid but anything else free, even from the shops.  Tested again 6 days later.  Gave us special bags for used towels and trash, put small tables outside our door to hold trays, etc.  Could not have been treated any better.  We travel again with Princess in January.  We have no qualms about it...except we will get the new booster when we get home.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

6 hours ago, windsor26 said:

Having plowed through these pages with their various off shoot subjects  I am now pleased that we are down under.  I have complained in the past that US gets special treatment, perks  and competitions not available to us but having just taken 4 cruises from UK and here we appear to be in two different planets regarding Princess.

UK cruise on Sky  only staff wore masks but there was no self service at all not even coffee or water in the buffet.  No covid outbreak that we were aware of.

Coral and Majestic in Australia  everyone was tasked to wear masks with 'mask police' travelling with boxes of them in case you had 'forgotten'  and washing hands supervised correctly but buffet in both ships had self service.  again no covid outbreak that we were aware of.

I will hope that this continues on our Majestic cruise next month

The Majestic did have quite a few cases, according to the guests during the crossing.  They had to test themselves every week and show results to the steward.  They almost didn’t get to make a stop in the So Pacific because they had 123 known cases OB, but quickly tested everyone OB and they were allowed to stop.

Probably WHY they are being cautious. Good to hear they are enforcing the rules!

• Like 1

With the majority of cruisers vaccinated and most cases presenting with only mild symptoms, I would project that people with only mild symptoms that could be any number of illnesses will stop reporting to sick bay for fear of over reaction by ship staff.  Headache?  Cough?  Upset stomach?  Mild fever?

Why risk quarantine with only mild symptoms?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

With the majority of cruisers vaccinated and most cases presenting with only mild symptoms, I would project that people with only mild symptoms that could be any number of illnesses will stop reporting to sick bay for fear of over reaction by ship staff.  Headache?  Cough?  Upset stomach?  Mild fever?

Why risk quarantine with only mild symptoms?

That really depends on whether you want to do the right thing, and, at a minimum, try to avoid spreading COVID to someone else.

Assuming a cruiser has brought test kits (which I highly recommend doing) and actually tests positive, quarantining in your cabin without notifying medical means no access to dining and specialty dining menus, even greater difficulty getting meal and drink orders, and subjecting your room steward to your germs. The standard room service menu gets old after about…one day. Five days of it?  No thanks. 

If someone doesn’t care about exposing others, well then have at it. Unless they’re sick enough to actually want to stay down, it’s their cruise and they paid for it (#sarcasm). 

• Like 4