Icon OTS looks like a joke…

19 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Something tells me there is going to be a revitalized of the NOOTS squad.  Reborn as NOITS.  

(Hopefully folks know what the heck I'm talking about 😉)

Totally was all in with that group. I think I even got a press interview about it. Ended up liking the ships.  Now my wife will only cruise a ship with a Central Park. 🤷‍♂️

I’m willing to say I was wrong. 🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/21/2022 at 8:27 PM, planefring1 said:

Its getting to the point, cruise ships are becoming floating theme parks. While cruising is an amazing way to vacation, New cruise ships are quickly becoming caricatures of themselves. Bloated, cartoonish, grotesque hunks of steel.

But yet many people also say they won't get off the ship in the Caribbean for many reasons such as, I was there a dozen times, it is not safe, the islands all look the same, there is nothing to do.  

In the Caribbean, ships are a destination.  In Europe, the ports are the destination.  So if a ship becomes a giant family resort, than I see no issue with it.  

You can't please everyone, but the bottom line is of course money and new customers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This type post literally pops up with every new class of ships LOL!    Then that class goes on to be the most popular class ever and even those who swore off of it wind up cruising it multiple times.    This forum had an entire group against the Oasis class and Id be willing to bet all of them have been on an Oasis class ship, probably several times.  

Edited by ryano
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The hate started before that with Dynamic Dining and went south from there.

Spouse and I may have been the only people who liked Dynamic Dining.  It was MTD with variety of restaurants and menus.

As for Icon, we haven't even sailed Oasis class yet.  We are not the target demographic.  Perhaps we will sail Oasis / Icon class with grandkids some day.

Just now, Biker19 said:

It's an easy commute and some good pricing for Oasis when she's in Bayonne for the season.

Just now, Biker19 said:

It's an easy commute and some good pricing for Oasis when she's in Bayonne for the season.

Yes it is.  That's why I never say never.   

Since you brought up Bayonne, I wonder if Icon will fit under the Verrazano bridge.

8 minutes ago, davy jones said:

Spouse and I may have been the only people who liked Dynamic Dining.  It was MTD with variety of restaurants and menus.

I liked the Dynamic Dining "dining" experience, but the turn off for me was the bug ridden online reservation system.  Of course my experience was from the Quantum maiden voyage, so it may have improved afterwards.

I chose Dynamic Dining "Classic" on the Anthem TA (1 year later) and I liked that concept (traditional fixed dining with rotating dining rooms and menus but same table location and waitstaff).  Of course, that didn't work for people that didn't like specific dining rooms (didn't want to dress for The Grande, etc.)

Edited by Another_Critic

3 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I liked the Dynamic Dining "dining" experience, but the turn off for me was the bug ridden online reservation system.  Of course my experience was from the Quantum maiden voyage, so it may have improved afterwards.

I chose Dynamic Dining "Classic" on the Anthem TA (1 year later) and I liked that concept (traditional fixed dining with rotating dining rooms and menus but same table location and waitstaff).

Yes, now I recall the IT issues.  We sailed with MTD during the DD Classic era.  To us, it was the best of both, but the initial IT issues killed it with those who prefer traditional right at the start.

2 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

In the Caribbean, ships are a destination.  In Europe, the ports are the destination.  So if a ship becomes a giant family resort, than I see no issue with it.  

Unless of course you are coming the other way like us, UK to the US 😀. We are queuing up on the gangway to get off at Nassau.... normally a queue of three, just us! We are equally as excited to be stopping at Cozumel again in April but I guess most on here have been there many times.

A very good point though, Icon would not be fully experienced on a port intensive Mediterranean or Greek Isles cruise as you just wouldn't have the time to do it justice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ryano said:

This type post literally pops up with every new class of ships LOL!    Then that class goes on to be the most popular class ever and even those who swore off of it wind up cruising it multiple times.    This forum had an entire group against the Oasis class and Id be willing to bet all of them have been on an Oasis class ship, probably several times.  

Thanks to the thought provoking post. Problem is: CC members are just a tiny part of the current cruise clientele; and till not so long ago; the cruise clientele community as a whole could have been considered among the most "conservative" ones on the whole tourism industry, with the CC members subset running towards the most "conservative" part of them all.

While I'm surely open to novelty, innovation, and such, there are at cruise market level some minimal standards I wish to see fully delivered. And TBHH; apart Virgin Voyages, and now the Icon project, I have never seen departures from said standards. Even Oasis is up to par with them. Solidly! Strongly!...

So now; or is it only those marketing materials, or this ship will need a huge revision. Read the social media of the likes of Business Insider or any of the other mainstream media outlets on the icon's news! Reactions are mostly on the not so positive. Maybe they'll be able to sell and sail her "as she is", but hey... I seriously doubt all the Oasis "naysayers" to have gone with the program and actually sailed her. I believe more the more mature crowd to be running towards the X/Princess business model. As prices go, the difference is not that big, and to say the least; both companies are entering the market with large enough ships!...

32 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

. . .

While I'm surely open to novelty, innovation, and such, there are at cruise market level some minimal standards I wish to see fully delivered. And TBHH; apart Virgin Voyages, and now the Icon project, I have never seen departures from said standards. Even Oasis is up to par with them. Solidly! Strongly!...

So now; or is it only those marketing materials, or this ship will need a huge revision.

Can you clarify what Oasis class has that Icon doesn’t ?  Doesn’t Icon have even more neighborhoods than Oasis?  

On 10/21/2022 at 8:27 PM, planefring1 said:

Its getting to the point, cruise ships are becoming floating theme parks. While cruising is an amazing way to vacation, New cruise ships are quickly becoming caricatures of themselves. Bloated, cartoonish, grotesque hunks of steel.

It's giving the market what they want. Icon is squarely a family ship and they make no apologies for it. Icon will be AMAZING for families with so much to do onboard.

At the same time we have ships like Scarlet Lady, Celebrity Edge series, Princess Royal and Sun class, Holland America ships that are incredible floating resorts primarily for adults

There are around 325 cruise ships out there today with 72 more on the way before the end of 2027. Some will appeal to you, some like Icon will not. I find no reason to disparage any ship because if the entire cruise industry built identical ships, that would be boring. 

• Like 4

On 10/21/2022 at 8:40 PM, Vibe said:

Holland America will probably not survive once most of the older cruiser set sail on their last cruise.

I feel like Holland America is like baseball - there is fretting over the need to attract younger fans/passengers, but in reality the current "old" fans/passengers are simply replaced by newly "old" fans/passengers as time goes on. In my 30's neither baseball nor HA were of interest to me, but now that I'm 50 both are looking pretty good!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ocean sounds said:

Can you clarify what Oasis class has that Icon doesn’t ?  Doesn’t Icon have even more neighborhoods than Oasis?  

Oasis has a sort of balanced environment for everyone, while the Icon is kids and young families only. That's the difference. Standards not features.

• Like 1