First time flying to get to the ship. HELP! I need packing tips.

Good morning everyone. I'm needing some tips and tricks please. We (my husband, 17 yr old daughter and I) are cruising on the Indy on November 28th (4 night cruise) and this time we are flying to get to the ship. We have cruised what feels like a millions times already (Diamond status) but have always driven to the port. We are flying on Spirit, so for those of you who have flown with them before, already know that your carry on bags are limited to one and it cannot exceed 18" x 14" x 8" measurements, which isn't even the same size and the smallest luggage carry on with wheels. You also have to pay for each checked bag. Yeah this stinks but the hubby was the one who booked the airfare not me. Lol! So, long story short, we are going to pack every thing in one suit case (which will primarily hold our formal wear and shoes) and then each bring a carry on bag that will hopefully hold most if not all of our other clothes, meds, toiletries, etc). I'm hoping that those of you who have lots of experience flying to the ports can help me out with some great tips and tricks to help me minimize on things so we don't over pack.

Below are some of the things I have already thought of and/or already do.

1) I usually bring 2 pairs of dress shoes, tennis shoes, flip flops, and an older pair of flip flops that I wear to the pool that I don't mind getting wet. I have already decided     to only bring one pair of dress shoes, the tennis shoes (which I will already be wearing) and one pair of flops.

2) As for my skin care products, I plan on putting them in contact lens cases so that will free up some room instead of bringing the containers themselves.

3) I have no problem wearing the same skirt with different shirts for dinner. I always bring little sample packs of laundry detergent should I need to wash anything I can.

4) I tend to overpack on my cosmetics bringing way to many colors of eyeshadow and 2-3 different colors of lipstick. Nope, not this time. Just sticking to the basics. One eyeshadow palette, one lipstick, and my little VS roll on perfume.

5) I always travel with the travel sized shampoo, conditioner, and body wash so that's not an issue.

I know there are other hacks that I haven't thought of. Help me out here please, and thank you!

• Like 1

Personally, unless you are celebrating a special occasion, I would skip the formal wear and just bring a fancy shirt / leggings / slacks / skirt that you can wear other times.  I would also "wear" as much stuff as possible for your flight (Ie tank, short sleeve shirt, button down shirt, jacket, etc.).    There are plenty of videos out there (FB, YouTube, etc.). that show tips for flying on Spirit and other airlines.

How to Pack Your Bags for Spirit Airlines - BagsThatFly

• Like 2

we usually fly on Spirit, and bring two 40# 28" roller suitcases for the 3 of us (we check them in, don't forget to pay for the suitcases before you check in to save money), and 3 school sized backpacks with electronics, meds and things we cannot cruise without (1 pair of shorts, 1 pair of flipflops, 1 swim suit or trunks/rashguard, and 1 sun hat per each person, toothbrushes).

We cruise for 7-10 days.

Here is our packing list for a 7-10 day cruise:

Passports, covid vaccine cards, wallet, credit card, cash, itinerary/flight printouts
Masks
Medications (stomach, echinacea, cough, ibuprofen, prescriptions, diarrhea, laxative, cold, thermometer, children’s meds, afrin)
Lysol wipes
SPF lotion and spray
Swimming suits, trunks, rashguard, sunhats, beach bags
Sunglasses
Swim ring, floaties, vest, nose clip and goggles
Water masks
Sand toys
Shoes: flip flops or crocs, sandals, sneakers (we wear these while traveling), proper, water shoes
Charging cables, laptop, phones, tablet and tablet holder
Truvia, thermos cup, water bottle, zip lock bags for snacks
Shorts, underwear, pjs, t-shirts, pants, dinner clothes
Toothbrushes, hair brush, cosmetics, always pads and tampons
Gloves and tall socks for skating
Water and heat on vacation, unplug everything, turn off computers, take out trash

My parents manage to cruise with one 40# suitcase and 2 medium backpacks (also flying on Spirit with us) for the two of them.

38 minutes ago, 1interpreter said:

You also have to pay for each checked bag. Yeah this stinks

just so you know, you have to pay for checked luggage on pretty much all airlines now, except for Southwest.

On Spirit you pay MORE for carry on luggage than you pay for CHECKED luggage, so it makes sense to pack everything into 2 large suitcases and bring FREE personal items (backpacks) as carryons. Since you are going on a 4 day cruise, you will need even less stuff than we do, and your kid doesn't need sand toys...

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

Flying out Thursday for an 8 day cruise with 2 days prior & 1 day after.  Hubby & I, 1 21” & 1 25” bag with a very small carry on.  I bring bottoms for half the number of days and a top for each day for both of us, 2 bathing suits each, 2 sundresses for me.  Hubby will wear sneakers on the plane & live in flip flops.  I’ll wear flats & take 2 pairs of nice flip flops & a wedge sandal.  Yoga pants & cami for PJs.  Very basic make up.  I do take every OTC known to man but that’s my only overpack.  Neither bag is close to full.

And yes, I am flying Southwest.  RT from CT to Ft Lauderdale - $152 each!

Edited by poocher
  • Like 2

First off - get rid of the formal wear. All of it.

Second - it's the Caribbean, it's hot, you get sweaty, makeup just runs off your face anyway. Get rid of the makeup. 

Swimsuits are small, bring one cover up, and bring one pair of shorts or pants, and a sundress or two. And sunscreen. And pajamas. And a toothbrush. 

Option 2 - scrap the spirit tickets and pay for one of you to fly on a real airline. Go southwest, and you can bring 4 bags for free (2 checked and 2 carry on). 

Definitely lose the formal wear. On formal night I was wearing a golf shirt from Chico's and black Nike pants and someone told me I looked fancy and where was I going. People wore anything on formal night. I was on the more dressy end of the spectrum.

• Like 1

Is the issue more of simply not wanting to pay for something that used to be free (carry-ons and checked bags)?  I take a personal item (my laptop bag), my carry on (mostly because it has needed batteries that cannot be checked), and TWO 50 lb checked bags.  I'm on vacation, I don't want to do without.  

• Haha 1

This is my opinion.  First, booking on a "cheap and budget" airline, you pay for everything.  My opinion is that it' not really a big deal, because you really did not get a discount if you accept that, all is well.

I go on trips to enjoy, and to be comfortable.  If I'm going on a week long vacation, than I am going to pack one suitcase for me, and one for the wife.  No way, we are going to try to limit our clothes and any accessories that are needed just to save money.  

When I buy tickets, I look at both the cost of the ticket and the extras combined.  I have in the past paid for luggage but that was because it was still cheaper.  Got to look at the big picture.  It is the same for a cruise right?  It's not just the fare, but everthing else, the taxes, port costs, tips, drinks, etc.  At the end of the day, it is the "final" price and not the individual prices.

So, don't worry about packing, just pay the extra fee, and be relaxed.

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we usually fly on Spirit, and bring two 40# 28" roller suitcases for the 3 of us (we check them in, don't forget to pay for the suitcases before you check in to save money), and 3 school sized backpacks with electronics, meds and things we cannot cruise without (1 pair of shorts, 1 pair of flipflops, 1 swim suit or trunks/rashguard, and 1 sun hat per each person, toothbrushes).

We cruise for 7-10 days.

Here is our packing list for a 7-10 day cruise:

Passports, covid vaccine cards, wallet, credit card, cash, itinerary/flight printouts
Masks
Medications (stomach, echinacea, cough, ibuprofen, prescriptions, diarrhea, laxative, cold, thermometer, children’s meds, afrin)
Lysol wipes
SPF lotion and spray
Swimming suits, trunks, rashguard, sunhats, beach bags
Sunglasses
Swim ring, floaties, vest, nose clip and goggles
Water masks
Sand toys
Shoes: flip flops or crocs, sandals, sneakers (we wear these while traveling), proper, water shoes
Charging cables, laptop, phones, tablet and tablet holder
Truvia, thermos cup, water bottle, zip lock bags for snacks
Shorts, underwear, pjs, t-shirts, pants, dinner clothes
Toothbrushes, hair brush, cosmetics, always pads and tampons
Gloves and tall socks for skating
Water and heat on vacation, unplug everything, turn off computers, take out trash

My parents manage to cruise with one 40# suitcase and 2 medium backpacks (also flying on Spirit with us) for the two of them.

just so you know, you have to pay for checked luggage on pretty much all airlines now, except for Southwest.

On Spirit you pay MORE for carry on luggage than you pay for CHECKED luggage, so it makes sense to pack everything into 2 large suitcases and bring FREE personal items (backpacks) as carryons. Since you are going on a 4 day cruise, you will need even less stuff than we do, and your kid doesn't need sand toys...

Oh I know you have to pay on pretty much any airline, but was hoping to fly Southwest.

1 hour ago, 1interpreter said:

Oh I know you have to pay on pretty much any airline, but was hoping to fly Southwest.

well, we are out of $600 in Southwest money since they changed our pre-cruise flight by 6 hours on the day of the cruise, and then the funds expired last July right before they extended the funds' expiration dates... I thought we had a year to use them, but apparently that year starts ticking from the day I bought the flights, not from the flight date.

2 hours ago, gmerick said:

Is the issue more of simply not wanting to pay for something that used to be free (carry-ons and checked bags)?  I take a personal item (my laptop bag), my carry on (mostly because it has needed batteries that cannot be checked), and TWO 50 lb checked bags.  I'm on vacation, I don't want to do without.  

imho, an overkill for a 4 night cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

First, booking on a "cheap and budget" airline, you pay for everything. 

the only additional "everything" we pay for on Spirit is the checked bags... And it is still cheaper. And, yes, I do check prices every day and wait till they fall to an acceptable level (usually right around the 80-90 day mark).

RT ticket per person $171 on Spirit for our TG cruise, $458 on Delta, and you still have to pay for checked bags. I kept an eye on the SW tickets as well - very high and the times are inconvenient, and SW tickets are $328 to and $89 from, so nowhere near $171+$68 luggage fee.

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

well, we are out of $600 in Southwest money since they changed our pre-cruise flight by 6 hours on the day of the cruise, and then the funds expired last July right before they extended the funds' expiration dates... I thought we had a year to use them, but apparently that year starts ticking from the day I bought the flights, not from the flight date.

Has unfortunately always been that way til the new policy.  Did you call SWA?  There was a fee but they could extend the expiration date by 6 months if you called them.

I realize some people enjoy dressing up, hair make-up and all.

We must look homeless when we get on the ship 😉 we are

complete minimalist. As long as it's all clean I'm good recycling

a sun dress and shorts. We only do carry on luggage, and canvas

bag for me backpack for DH.  I never check my bag at port.

Enjoy your cruise, next time you book the flight. Husband is banned!!!  😂

• Like 1

Vacuum bags work well for us.  But a scale is a must as what you can seal up in a vacuum bag can easily put you over the weight limit.  We have two types one you seal and roll or smash to get the air out.  The other uses a small hand pump to suck the air out.  It gets stuff much more compressed even factoring in the small size of the pump.  If we are going a few days early I send small stuff to the laundry around day 2-3.  It cuts my small stuff packing by half.  If formal night is a big deal then rent a tux for the men.  I take my own shoes and socks.    

4 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Not that this helps you now since Southwest changed their policy, but you could have used that $600 to book a dummy flight, then canceled the flight and gotten a fresh expiration date on your credits.

No you couldn’t.  Southwest’s travel funds reverted to the original purchase date if you used them then cancelled the new flight.  Once that expiration date was set, there was no way to extend it besides waiting for the funds to expire then calling & paying the fee.  Been a Southwest customer for over 20 years & it has always been this way.

Edited by poocher
  • Like 3