Mediterranean Cruise Question

CynBeth6

Next summer we will be going on a cruise leaving out of Barcelona and visiting a few cities in France and a few in Italy. I was looking up entry requirements and noticed besides the passport we need to show proof of why we are there and proof of our finances.  What is the procedure for when we arrive in Spain?  How does it work when on the cruise do we have to at the first France port show our cruise documents and a few months of bank statements and do that at the first Italy port?  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CynBeth6 said:

I was looking up entry requirements and noticed besides the passport we need to show proof of why we are there and proof of our finances.

Not sure where you are reading that but you generally don't need any of that - at most the immigration officer at your first point of entry may ask why you are visiting.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CynBeth6 said:

Next summer we will be going on a cruise leaving out of Barcelona and visiting a few cities in France and a few in Italy. I was looking up entry requirements and noticed besides the passport we need to show proof of why we are there and proof of our finances.  What is the procedure for when we arrive in Spain?  How does it work when on the cruise do we have to at the first France port show our cruise documents and a few months of bank statements and do that at the first Italy port?  

No idea where you got that information. Have sailed the Med multiple times and never ever been asked for that.

3 hours ago, CynBeth6 said:

Nope. None required. You will do a normal immigrations check when you fly into Barcelona... Passport, reason for visit (Cruise!!!). Then there is no additional checks at any port of call. You will do an exit immigrations check when you fly out of Barcelona and again when you enter the US at BWI (or your first airport in the US). 

To clarify:

As of May next year all non EU travellers ( so including USA and UK) will need ETIAS to enter the EU 

https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-questions/which-countries-need-etias

Yes, Spain (and all EU countries ) can ask you to prove that you have enough funds for your visit. This has been in place since 1/1/22 and applies to all non EU visitors. 

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/britons-surprised-by-spains-requirement-to-prove-financial-sufficiency-for-their-holidays/

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CynBeth6 said:

Hi, we did a cruise out of Barcelona a couple of weeks ago, the information online had been reported in the UK press but everyone who was on our flight simply had passports checked and we were on our way, if it does happen it seems similar to the questions we get asked when we want to enter the USA as UK visitors where we've been asked about our visit and proof of return ticket etc.

• Like 1

Currently on Wonder in the Med, stopped here at La Spezia today, already did the port of Marseille France twice, and had flown into Barcelona for a 3 day prior to our 4 weeks on board.  (Staying on for the TA). 

Nada... zip...as posted...just show your passport at Barcelona airport and reason for visit.  That's it.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, island lady said:

Currently on Wonder in the Med, stopped here at La Spezia today, already did the port of Marseille France twice, and had flown into Barcelona for a 3 day prior to our 4 weeks on board.  (Staying on for the TA). 

Nada... zip...as posted...just show your passport at Barcelona airport and reason for visit.  That's it.  

The point is; they can ask you… whether they do or not is irrelevant.  

They have had the right to do this since the start of the year. Saying it hasn’t happened is no indicator of what could happen if you get a jobs-worth and they are feeling bl**dy minded…

Edited by little britain

I think whilst technically they can ask it’s unlikely. I travel to Spain a lot as my family live there, I’ve been twice so far this year, never been asked for reason for visit, and at Madrid they didn’t even ask for proof of vaccine, although they did ask for that in Palma in May (although now those restrictions have been lifted they may not even ask that).

2 hours ago, little britain said:

To clarify:

As of May next year all non EU travellers ( so including USA and UK) will need ETIAS to enter the EU 

https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-questions/which-countries-need-etias

Yes, Spain (and all EU countries ) can ask you to prove that you have enough funds for your visit. This has been in place since 1/1/22 and applies to all non EU visitors. 

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/britons-surprised-by-spains-requirement-to-prove-financial-sufficiency-for-their-holidays/

1 hour ago, little britain said:

The point is; they can ask you… whether they do or not is irrelevant.  

They have had the right to do this since the start of the year. Saying it hasn’t happened is no indicator of what could happen if you get a jobs-worth and they are feeling bl**dy minded…

Sorry...simply reporting from very recent personal experience.  Yes, Henny Penny said the sky is falling.  😉 

2 hours ago, Donsyb said:

I think whilst technically they can ask it’s unlikely. I travel to Spain a lot as my family live there, I’ve been twice so far this year, never been asked for reason for visit, and at Madrid they didn’t even ask for proof of vaccine, although they did ask for that in Palma in May (although now those restrictions have been lifted they may not even ask that).

I’m flying into BCN tomorrow morning… I’ll let you know! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Not an official site.  Currently, the EU says that ETIAS will be starting from 2023 with no specific date, and that's about it.

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/etias_en

It does say "end".

What is ETIAS

The rules of travel to Europe have changed. Starting end 2023, some 1.4 billion people from over 60 visa-exempt countries are required to have a travel authorisation to enter most European countries.

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/etias/what-etias_en

Edited by Rysyonok
  • Like 1

Its been in the travel papers here in the UK about travel to Europem, But not coming into force till later on next year. It will be like the american system for us to vist. ESTA or what ever its called. Pay some money fill out a form with lots of questions and then when you arrive at your destination you MAY be asked specific questions. 

However the introduction date is constantly slipping, but something for you to keep an eye on. 

The ETIAS is officially scheduled to come online in May 2023. Once initiated, there will be a 180-day period of grace. Non-EU visa-free travellers requiring approval in the new ETIAS system will have the opportunity to fill out an ETIAS application form. The six-month grace period will also provide European travel authorities ample time to be sufficiently trained on new protocols and a vetting period wherein technical issues with the system can be identified. The six-month grace period has a scheduled expiration in November 2023; from then onward, third-country nationals will require approval from the ETIAS.

source: https://etias.com/etias-application

45 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

You don’t need any of that, but when you get off the plane at immigration they usually ask why you’re visiting.

I travel throughout Europe several times per year and I have never been asked why I’m visiting. USA I’m asked everytime, Europe not once.

4 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Its been in the travel papers here in the UK about travel to Europem, But not coming into force till later on next year. It will be like the american system for us to vist. ESTA or what ever its called. Pay some money fill out a form with lots of questions and then when you arrive at your destination you MAY be asked specific questions. 

However the introduction date is constantly slipping, but something for you to keep an eye on. 

ESTA increased from $14 to $21 this year and is valid for 2 years 

ETIAS Will apparently cost €7 and will be valid for 3 years 

Flew into Barcelona this morning. Passport stamped and on my way….

In fact it was 45 minutes exactly from touchdown 🛬 to walking on to the 🚢 ship! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Donsyb said:

I travel throughout Europe several times per year and I have never been asked why I’m visiting. USA I’m asked everytime, Europe not once.

We just did a TA from Copenhagen in September and we were asked when we got off the plane at immigration. We just said we’re on a cruise

2 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We just did a TA from Copenhagen in September and we were asked when we got off the plane at immigration. We just said we’re on a cruise

Maybe they only ask Americans?? 🤷🏼‍♀️