Sorry for this simple question about onboard dress, but . . .

dedlaw

It has been a number of years since we sailed in the Caribbean, but that's what we're doing in March on the Constellation.  I know much has changed -- with time in general and post (post?) pandemic in particular.  I am sure I could read through a lot of posts and find the answer to this question, so please don't  complain on that score -- I've been looking, and mostly I'm seeing complaints about the way others are dressed (and complaints about the complainers needing to get a life).  So . . .

In MDR on a regular evening, are jeans and golf shirt okay for the men?  By "okay," I'm only asking about what generally blends in fairly well.  If jeans and golf shirt don't cut it, what upgrades would be okay?  On what used to be formal nights, are button downs, sport coat and khakis on target?

Thank you.

• Haha 1

Jeans are way too hot for the Caribbean and take up a lot of packing space. Khakis or light weight cotton pants. My husband bought two pairs of black Bonobos and wears them with a golf shirt or Hawaiian type shirt. Hardly anyone dresses up. If you want to take a blazer that's fine too.

• Like 2

Thanks, all, for the clear and prompt replies.

I'm with hrhdhd -- if I'm on deck in they daytime, the jeans are a drag -- but in the evenings the whole ship can feel a bit "iced down" for me.  Maybe it's genetic -- my 97 year old father lives in FL, and he takes his second sweater off once it gets over 85.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dedlaw said:

Thanks, all, for the clear and prompt replies.

I'm with hrhdhd -- if I'm on deck in they daytime, the jeans are a drag -- but in the evenings the whole ship can feel a bit "iced down" for me.  Maybe it's genetic -- my 97 year old father lives in FL, and he takes his second sweater off once it gets over 85.

I would be sweating to death…I have yet to find a place on a ship too cool…

That said, tell your Father to keep on keeping on..

Never be sorry for asking a question even if its been asked before.   Thats what Forums are for.    I prefer wearing light Khakis and button collared shirt or golf type shirt on chic and non chic nights.  They are less bulky to pack .   

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Been on 9 sailings since the restart (eat dinner in either the MDR, Blu or a specialty), I have not seen any active dress code enforcement with the exception of hats.  I've seen swim trunks w/flip flops, tshirts and rash-guards every Chic night.  What I did overhear is as someone wearing shorts was leaving, the M'D told them someone complained and asked them to wear pants next time.  It's entirely possible the M'D told them this loud enough for the complainer to hear it but that M'D still wouldn't turn this person away if they wore shorts again.  Additionally, it's very rare that the M'D spends time at the restaurant entry host stand as they're usually mingling with diners.

4 hours ago, dedlaw said:

It has been a number of years since we sailed in the Caribbean, but that's what we're doing in March on the Constellation.  I know much has changed -- with time in general and post (post?) pandemic in particular.  I am sure I could read through a lot of posts and find the answer to this question, so please don't  complain on that score -- I've been looking, and mostly I'm seeing complaints about the way others are dressed (and complaints about the complainers needing to get a life).  So . . .

In MDR on a regular evening, are jeans and golf shirt okay for the men?  By "okay," I'm only asking about what generally blends in fairly well.  If jeans and golf shirt don't cut it, what upgrades would be okay?  On what used to be formal nights, are button downs, sport coat and khakis on target?

Thank you.

DH and I do not wear jeans and golf shirt when we go out to nice restaurants at home.  So we don't do it on vacation either.  We are comfortable in long dresses and tuxes on evening chic.  Wear what you are comfortable wearing.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dedlaw said:

In MDR on a regular evening, are jeans and golf shirt okay for the men?  By "okay," I'm only asking about what generally blends in fairly well... what upgrades would be okay?  On what used to be formal nights, are button downs, sport coat and khakis on target?

I stressed about this very thing before our recent cruise in September. The info Celebrity offers on its site was specifically vague enough to leave me wondering, and the advice here and elsewhere varied.

Here's my experience: In the MDR, on Chic Nights, and during the evenings generally (after 7:00 p.m.), I wore black or khaki pants, with either a polo-style shirt or one by a designer whose name rhymes with "Pommy da Llama" 😃 (Not sure if mentioning the name would violate the CC rules.)

Anyway, while I didn't pack a suit, sport coat or dress shoes for this cruise, I did not encounter any issues with staff or someone else complaining about my clothing. Also, on a few days, we returned late from excursions and decided to grab a drink or two before heading to our cabin despite wearing shorts, T-shirts and, probably, a tired, long-day aspect on our faces 🤣 Again, no problems in our experience.

I generally wear Wranglers and have no idea what comprises "designer" jeans, but I saw many folks wearing jeans in the MDR and on Chic nights. That said, a significant percentage also wore suits with ties, tuxes, dresses, evening gowns, etc.

Paraphrasing @SusieAV8R, wear what's comfortable. To that, I add: hedge your bet and bring an outift that essentially qualifies just in case you think "Uh oh" once you're at sea.

Hope this helps,

cjr

• Like 2

23 hours ago, julia said:

However, jeans can be a bit too warm for the Caribbean...

Agree, when outside walking around in the ports or on the beach. Inside the ship it's nicely air conditioned in all venues. I've read on CC some say too cool. Their opinion.  Speaking only for myself, I don't take my designer Levis on Caribbean cruises. 

Have to say I'm sad about the disappearance of true formal nights on ships.  My husband as well.  So if you spot us on Beyond in a few weeks, him in a tux and me in a gown....that's just me being all nostalgic for cruises in the 2000's and earlier.... 

But I won't tsk tsk about others being a bit more casual (as long as not shorts in the dining room)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 10/26/2022 at 4:02 PM, dedlaw said:

Thank you.

Yes.  

. . . In MDR on a regular evening, are jeans and golf shirt okay for the men?  By "okay," I'm only asking about what generally blends in fairly well.

I usually take one pair of sort-of "stylish" blue jeans for evening dining. Yes jeans can be hot, but some years ago, watching an outdoor movie one night, I learned all too well that a cruise ship can get very breezy, and cool at night, expecially before, during or after major rainfall. It can also chill indoor temperatures a bit. That movie night I had to run back to our stateroom, find some long pants and a long-sleeve t-shirt.

On other cruises, as others have stated, at times the A/C can chill indoors to the point of goosebumps if I'm wearing shorts. I've never found the MDR or specialty dining to be overly cool, but of course one has to move around to get there and back, plus whatever we might want to do right after dinner.

I also usually bring a pair of decent-looking khakis in addition to the jeans, plus a couple of polos, button-up linen and other collared shirts.

Edited by Moonarino

My hubby always wears dress pants and a nice short sleeve button up shirt.  On Chic Night, he wore a dress shirt and tie and dress pants.... He looks nice all evenings - and not out of place.  I always wear a dressy top/pants or skirt or a dress.  We enjoy "dressing up" a bit in the evening.  We don't mind that Chic night isn't quite as "fancy" as it used to be because it's much easier packing LOL - although I love seeing the people REALLY dressed up too :) 

• Like 3

Thank you.

Perfectly fine. My husband wears this every night. 

3 hours ago, mtempelaar said:

Have to say I'm sad about the disappearance of true formal nights on ships.  My husband as well.  So if you spot us on Beyond in a few weeks, him in a tux and me in a gown....that's just me being all nostalgic for cruises in the 2000's and earlier.... 

But I won't tsk tsk about others being a bit more casual (as long as not shorts in the dining room)

Like I said:  wear what is comfortable for the poster.  (DH & I like to dress more formally at home and thus continue it when on vacay.  We are comfortable with this)

I'm a thirty-something and wear designer denim (Versace,  Armani, G-Star, Diesel, etc for example) and almost every night to the dining room or specialty restaurants. I think it's more than appropriate.  And God forbid some of those pieces have rips and holes in them...they are made and sold that way. Yes, I absolutely wear them!.

I do have a thing for for white linen pants on a cruise (and linen pants are actually in this year for my age group) for some reason and always rock a pair of those at some point on a sailing as well.

Express yourself in what you wear is my rule.  That said... no shorts in the dining room (hopefully my stance on that makes up for my ripped designer jeans :p) 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, WKUTopperFan said:

I'm a thirty-something and wear designer denim (Versace,  Armani, G-Star, Diesel, etc for example) and almost every night to the dining room or specialty restaurants. I think it's more than appropriate.  And God forbid some of those pieces have rips and holes in them...they are made and sold that way. Yes, I absolutely wear them!.

I do have a thing for for white linen pants on a cruise (and linen pants are actually in this year for my age group) for some reason and always rock a pair of those at some point on a sailing as well.

Express yourself in what you wear is my rule.  That said... no shorts in the dining room (hopefully my stance on that makes up for my ripped designer jeans :p) 

So, I wear what looks great on me.  Designer jeans are nothing but cotton, some stitching and a fancy name.  I am a 60+ female and I'll am certain that I can n look more elegant at 20% + less than the current price of designer jeans. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, davekathy said:

Yes. 

6 minutes ago, SusieAV8R said:

So, I wear what looks great on me.  Designer jeans are nothing but cotton, some stitching and a fancy name.  I am a 60+ female and I'll am certain that I can n look more elegant at 20% + less than the current price of designer jeans. 

Wear what is comfortable.  Not everyone outside of the USA wear jeans (thanks goodness since blue jeans are not usually complimentary.)

• Haha 1