Is there a database of all cruises?

Brissle

I'm starting the plan ahead for a cruise in autumn 2023 or maybe the winter 2023-24.

We have no particular area we wish to visit (have done many over the years) although we would exclude southern hemisphere.

We have no fixed length (anything between 15 and 30 days).

We don't mind whether we cruise from the UK or a foreign port, although the former has attractions.

We have a long-ish "shortlist" of preferred cruise lines and ships.

Is there a data base of ALL cruises by ALL cruise lines in calendar format where we could look and filter down to get ideas?

It takes far too long to search each individual cruise line and most don't do a simple calendar list of where all their ships are going.

We just want an easy way to get ideas - and maybe find something new and different.

I'd be very interested in any ideas or links.

Thanks

Try cruisetimetables.com.  They cover most cruise lines, but not the expedition lines, or those with very small ships.  Nor do they list river cruise lines.   Ut you can search by destinations, departure port, ship, etc.  if there is a particular place you want to visit, choose that in ‘cruises to’, then your preferred time, and it will show who is calling there, and their itineraries.  EM

CC rules prohibit us from posting specific cruise/travel agency information.  But if you simply Google "Discount Cruise Agencies, you should find what you need somewhere on that first page.  Just start clicking on the various agency links to see which has the best information.  Just keep in mind that having a good online data base does not necessarily mean you are looking at a good or bad agency.  For that, you need to conduct your own due dilegence.

Hank

13 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

CC rules prohibit us from posting specific cruise/travel agency information.  But if you simply Google "Discount Cruise Agencies, you should find what you need somewhere on that first page.  Just start clicking on the various agency links to see which has the best information.  Just keep in mind that having a good online data base does not necessarily mean you are looking at a good or bad agency.  For that, you need to conduct your own due dilegence.

Hank

Yes - but we cannot name them here. Try googling various topics: “cruises”, ocean travel”,  etc.  Something is likely to come up.

I agree.  I use one excellent OTA for research ... an hour spent today in an internet search will yield you all kinds of them.  "Test drive" a few and you'll quickly find one set up the way you like it; one that you can use consistently.  

Thanks everyone.

I'm guessing that you guys in the USA have far more helpful agents sites than I can access here in the UK.

A Google search as suggested came up with a few regular agents, who I am aware of, but they all want to know where I want to go, when and on what cruise line. before I can search.

The website suggested by Essiesmom is the closest to what I want (many thanks) but it still isn't a "proper" database where I can do a refined search by specifying (say) six cruise lines and three or four geographic areas and a range of up to four or five months to search.

I'll keep trying - the data exists, it's just a matter of finding someone who has organised it in a searchable format.

2 minutes ago, Brissle said:

Thanks everyone.

I'm guessing that you guys in the USA have far more helpful agents sites than I can access here in the UK.

A Google search as suggested came up with a few regular agents, who I am aware of, but they all want to know where I want to go, when and on what cruise line. before I can search.

The website suggested by Essiesmom is the closest to what I want (many thanks) but it still isn't a "proper" database where I can do a refined search by specifying (say) six cruise lines and three or four geographic areas and a range of up to four or five months to search.

I'll keep trying - the data exists, it's just a matter of finding someone who has organised it in a searchable format.

An internet search will give you all the OTAs in the world, it's not limited to where you live.  You use an OTA for research, then book your cruise directly with the cruise line once you've made your decision.  If you're looking for a 'real travel agent' that's a different situation.  

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

You would  need to narrow down  your  wants  but look at the top of CC for "FIND A CRUISE"

I hadn't tried that. Actually it's getting nearer to what I want - and there are filters t narrow down the cruise lines.  Thanks for that suggestion.  More research tomorrow....

• Like 1

I looked at this thread with interest.   The problem (as I see it) with almost all the OTA's is that if they do not have a business agreement with any particular cruise line, they simply do not show their cruises.... 

At least for US cruisers this includes "most" foreign cruise lines that do not cater to the North American customer. 

My best   reference in my searches has been the same as EssiesMom... cruisetimetables.com, or one of the the other two Location" based search engines.  And I tend to use them in any case so I can see "who" will be in any given port on any given day.... (If there are 4 3000 passenger ships in most of the ports on any particular itinerary, I am simply NOT interested in it!)

3 hours ago, FredT said:

The problem (as I see it) with almost all the OTA's is that if they do not have a business agreement with any particular cruise line, they simply do not show their cruises.... 

Am I correct in thinking that they can pay Google to have a better, more prominent listing that will put them nearer the top of the first page?

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

You really saw that implication?

Sorry if I misconstrued your comment.

Perhaps you can explain what your comment "Yes - but we cannot name them here." meant after Hlitner had posted "CC rules prohibit us from posting specific cruise/travel agency information.  But if you simply Google "Discount Cruise Agencies, you should find what you need somewhere on that first page."

OK thanks everyone for your input and suggestions.

The Cruise Critic option is the closest to what I'm seeking, but still does not provide the full list of filters that I would like.

As Idubs suggested this is an opportunity for someone to develop a full searchable database of all cruises anywhere at any time.

I wait with bated breath.

Thanks again....

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2022 at 10:59 PM, FredT said:

I looked at this thread with interest.   The problem (as I see it) with almost all the OTA's is that if they do not have a business agreement with any particular cruise line, they simply do not show their cruises.... 

At least for US cruisers this includes "most" foreign cruise lines that do not cater to the North American customer. 

Although they do limit their search capabilities to cruise lines they market, the Online TA website I use to search for potential cruises contains 30 cruise lines - including Hurtigruten, P&O, Paul Gauguin, Ponant, Quark and Scenic.

On 10/28/2022 at 10:59 PM, FredT said:

My best   reference in my searches has been the same as EssiesMom... cruisetimetables.com, or one of the the other two Location" based search engines.  And I tend to use them in any case so I can see "who" will be in any given port on any given day.... (If there are 4 3000 passenger ships in most of the ports on any particular itinerary, I am simply NOT interested in it!)

You do have a good point.  But it is the rare North American who wants to go on a line were English is not one of the common languages.  There are certainly some excellent lines such as Hapag-Lloyd that do not appear in many data bases and lines like Aida are often omitted from North American agency data bases.    The OP did not seem to be asking about "how many ships in a port" as much as seeking information on ships, itineraries, and lines.  If there is truly a decent comprehensive data base that includes Chinese, Japanese, German, etc. cruise lines we have not found it!  And I think most North Americans would not be happy to find themselves on a Chinese-speaking gambling cruise with wall to wall smokers and all announcements in Mandarin.

Just recently we were talking to one of our favorite cruise agents (she has only been in the business about 8 years) and asked her about possible deals on Ponant!  She immediately asked me about Ponant, which was a line she was not familiar.  You will also find many agencies who have little or no experience with Scenic and there are still quite a few data bases that do not show Explora Journeys (a new luxury line owned by MSC).   And then there are some decent small vessel companies such as Variety Cruises who is normally not part of most data bases.  One can certainly find information on all these lines by using the Internet, but it does require a little work :).

Hank

While I agree with what Hank just said, I look with amusement at our next three cruises booked.   Star Clippers (Med) P & O (Iceland/Norway) and Ambassador, (Africa) As well, had this crazy war not happened in the Ukraine, we had a riverboat cruise booked from Moscow to the Sea of Azov (Vodohod).     Not ONE of these cruises was listed or shown on the computer with our local TA or the "Big Box" agency we c/sometimes use......

PS and every ONE of these lines caterers to Americans....   

Ya GOTTA keep researching!

Edited by FredT