Labadee, Haiti stops...affected by local unrest?

Dreamer68

Taking this is a slightly different direction. I have been to Labadee twice and would not go back. I didn’t like the beach, didn’t like the aggressive vendors and don’t zip line.  I would stay on the ship next time next to the pool.

As far as safety, no place in todays world can guarantee it, and I actually felt safer at Labadee than in some other ports I have visited.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, volunteer cruiser said:

Was on the Allure recently, had a nice beach day on Labadee, October 17th.  Did not see any disruptions.

That is the day we were there.  I love Labadee - my husband is disabled and I push him around in a transport chair.  It's difficult for us to enjoy a lot of beaches, but with the paved areas, I can get him on the beach in a lounge chair and we can have a nice relaxing day by the water.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trivia addict said:

Taking this is a slightly different direction. I have been to Labadee twice and would not go back. I didn’t like the beach, didn’t like the aggressive vendors and don’t zip line.  I would stay on the ship next time next to the pool.

As far as safety, no place in todays world can guarantee it, and I actually felt safer at Labadee than in some other ports I have visited.

I avoid the aggressive vendors by wearing a Labadee tee shirt and saying out loud that I have been there before.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/28/2022 at 7:31 PM, BirdTravels said:

First it is not a private island. It is a resort in Haiti. It is relatively isolated and protected by armed guards at the gate. The past and current unrest has not affected RCCL from using it as a port call.  Just another beach day. We were there earlier this year. No indication of problems. 

Was there in early September on Allure and did not even realize that there was unrest.

Truthfully, Labadee is not my favorite stop either, haven't been on that Itin for quite a while, don't look for it, but I'll be going next month on Odyssey, it just happened to be a stop along with Coco Cay which I thought would be cool having both RCCL resorts.  Things have changed on Labadee, they added a breakwater and a floating bar since I was there, so I'll be enjoying them, not worried nor concerned about unrest in Haiti.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, sfaaa said:

A flimsy fence and gate topped with rusty barb wire a pick up truck can easily crashes through

Doesn't look that flimsy to me!  Tried looking up the incidents reported of people breaking through and reeking havoc amongst the tourists though....not one!

fence labadee.jpg

• Like 1

I tend to agree with some of the other cruisers, Jamaica is one port that I have truly felt uncomfortable at every time we've gone. We normally go to a AI beach break at one of the hotels and each time we've shuttled, we've come across their military, machine guns out, at certain check points along the way. So you know, my mind deduces if they weren't needed they wouldn't be there, and for me it's anxiety inducing. The other side is that, okay, they're there to keep things in order, so that's good. I guess it's all how you look at it (disclaimer: I come from a military family, don't mind guns, and have one myself). 

That said, I've been to Labadee once, never felt unsafe. We're going back in a couple weeks and I am not hesitant about getting off the ship: it's a pretty nice little place to chill for a couple hours and has some really beautiful, lush, hills that surround it -- so great photo ops. The locals weren't any more aggressive than other ports we've been to, but just avoid that area of wares if you don't want to deal with it. Enjoy your trip 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been to Labadee twice in last three weeks.  You don't see any security (except ship-type folks) unless you go looking for it.  Aggressive vendors in local market, yes. 

We aren't really fond of beaches there but do like the new policy of having chairs and umbrellas already positioned.  Tried Amiga Island this time and very nice beach with ok snorkeling.  And they now have a spectacular coconut macaroon cookie that is NOT available on the ship.

• Thanks 1

Did you go to the floating bar over at Adrenalin Beach, that's where we targeted for our trip in a few weeks.  We stayed there the last trip to Labadee but it was rough in the water there, now that the breakwater is in place I think it will be great.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/30/2022 at 12:32 AM, Merion_Mom said:

I'll be there in 12 hours.  If I don't post again, you'll know that the gangs got me.

@Merion_Mom - I'm just returning to the forum board after a few busy weeks at work and just checking in that you visited Labadee, had a lovely time, enjoyed the rest of your cruise and returned home safely with good memories.  I'd love your thoughts on this.

I appreciated everyone's input on comparisons with other islands as well. I remember now the aggressiveness of some local vendors our very first cruise years ago. To an extent, I understand why. I suppose we all hustle for our bread and butter.

Thanks again to everyone who gently and generously shared your perspectives. I'll keep reading the general topics on the forum to refamiliarize myself with cruising. About to purchase a Celebrity cruise for early January 2023. 🤞

• Like 1