Mobility and me. An upsetting morning.

indiana123

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Not an insurmountable problem , just ask nicely if you can leave the car for a few moments whilst you sort out some issues sbout mobility scooter.

Moot really because the corporate decision will be abide by T&Cs.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel for you and at the same time I want to thank you. It never entered my head that you would not be able to take a folding scooter on board with you. I use a ‘Travelscoot’ which also folds down to a very small size and would easily fit in the cabin.  We are going on a one week cruise out of our home port in four weeks to give Cunard a try, and I was planning to take it with me.  Now I won’t be.   Perhaps like you, I can walk, i just can’t walk a long way; I have severe osteoarthritis.  I’m actually shocked as this seems overtly discriminatory to me and thus unlawful in Australia.  Something to think about for us and probably not take the much longer, and more costly Cunard Cruise we were planning for next year.  Their loss, we will go on a more disability-friendly line.  

You can take a mobility on board, but……(from Cunard site)

This is from the UK, but assume this the same worldwide.

Mobility scooters.

Mobility scooters will only be permitted on board if guests have booked an accessible stateroom, or selected suite.  A list of suitable staterooms can be found in the accessible stateroom section. The policy applies to all scooter makes and models to ensure a consistent approach. Mobility scooters must be declared at the time of booking, or as soon as the need is known, otherwise your scooter may be denied boarding. 

If you are taking a mobility scooter on board in an approved stateroom please ensure you have checked the stateroom door width as the scooter must be able to fit through to enable it to be stored safely so as not to impede a safe evacuation. Details of stateroom door widths can be found in the accessible stateroom section.

(There is more to this to read if this concerns you).

Edited by LadyL1
Addition

On 11/5/2022 at 5:09 AM, baw53 said:

Please don’t shoot me down , this is just a thought.Do you think Cunard are restricting the use of these smaller mobility scooters to deter obese/lazy people from taking them on board.Didn’t the Spanish Costa hotels ban them as non disabled ‘ Brits’( oops  that will upset some of you) were hiring them and careering around all over the place ? I do not think for a moment the OP is not in genuine need.

Not on Cunard, but on another line, I've seen lots of scooters on board, and some rented by people who weren't lazy, but rented one "just in case" because they were concerned about the distances to be walked on the ship. I saw someone who had never used a scooter before nearly back down a flight of stairs! 

I think Cunard's requirement of booking only certain cabins is to make sure the mobility device can be parked in the cabin and not in a hallway. It may also be a move to limit the number of people who might need special assistance in case of an emergency.

34 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I have been on holiday with an occasional wheelchair/scooter user and at the risk of offending or stating the obvious, we checked before booking.

If we can check, so can others.

True but as the OP had been allowed to use one last year on Q.V.  it not unreasonable to assume same rules still apply to sister ship.

As a regular Cunarder do  you check every rule or just assume same as last time.

44 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

True but as the OP had been allowed to use one last year on Q.V.  it not unreasonable to assume same rules still apply to sister ship.

As a regular Cunarder do  you check every rule or just assume same as last time.

I never assume anything, and yes, if it's pertinent, I  check.

* We have loads of FCC to apply plus low deposit and no fee transfer bookings. The assumption would be, it's all valid but as Major Tom pointed out many threads ago, don't assume things will remain the same.

I will check! T&Cs often trick the unsuspecting.  Always check the small print if you have any issue out of 'the ordinary' and because the T&Cs are there and can be a moveable [but legitimate] feast as some of us have found out

one way or another over the pandemic years, if 'you' don't check, there's no comeback if things go whatsit over doodah.

So yes, I check!

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 2

I can sympathize. My osteoarthritis/hip displasia/labral tear, etc. lead me to change my cabin today to be more midships. A few months ago I was walking around London with no problems. Now I am hobbling along. 

13 days of being at the opposite end of the ship from the Dining room and terrace pool were weighing on me. I use crutches and it takes time to go that far. 
I guess it is puzzling that a small scooter can only go into an accessible room. I am sure that there is a story behind that.

5 hours ago, Jacqueline said:

I can sympathize. My osteoarthritis/hip displasia/labral tear, etc. lead me to change my cabin today to be more midships. A few months ago I was walking around London with no problems. Now I am hobbling along. 

13 days of being at the opposite end of the ship from the Dining room and terrace pool were weighing on me. I use crutches and it takes time to go that far. 
I guess it is puzzling that a small scooter can only go into an accessible room. I am sure that there is a story behind that.

Obviously just conjecture, but my thoughts are the few have spoilt it for the many.

On our first Cunard cruise, walking aft to mid ships was almost like  an obstacle course, the chicanes being  the occasional buggy and mobility scooter in the way.

Roll forward and yes, dimensions can be given but how many people say their mobility kit will fold up into unobtrusive devices, and then when boarding, they're not as unobtrusive as indicated?  

A shame for the honest mobility user but far easier for the company to have a blanket ruling. 

• Like 1

No reply yet to our last communication with Cunard so we have had to bite the bullet and hire their chair at the princely sum of almost £300.  

To the overseas poster who is considering leaving their scooter at home,  please check with Cunard first as it could be different from where you are.

Thank you for all your replies.   I will enjoy. 

• Like 1

Further to this, and in Australia, with thanks to the OP I have phoned Cunard twice on this topic.  Both times I got put through to the Phillipines and both times I was told that despite the contradictory and quite clear ‘policy’ cut and pasted from the Cunard website, above, I CAN take my folding mobility scooter on the upcoming cruise despite not being in an accessible cabin.   I asked for this in writing, and perversely was told that the person I was speaking to was not authorised to send me an email *sigh* but I could write to the email team if I wanted.   So far my first experience with Cunard has been less than stellar in the customer service department.   They said they would send me a ‘medical form’ but that I had to wait for that to turn up because it “had to come from England”.  The whole thing is beyond a joke really.   I’ll keep you in in touch with what happens.  I can get pretty Bolshie when it suits, and I’m determined to chase this down.  Just a case of the more I thought about it, the angrier I got.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lahore said:

Further to this, and in Australia, with thanks to the OP I have phoned Cunard twice on this topic.  Both times I got put through to the Phillipines and both times I was told that despite the contradictory and quite clear ‘policy’ cut and pasted from the Cunard website, above, I CAN take my folding mobility scooter on the upcoming cruise despite not being in an accessible cabin.   I asked for this in writing, and perversely was told that the person I was speaking to was not authorised to send me an email *sigh* but I could write to the email team if I wanted.   So far my first experience with Cunard has been less than stellar in the customer service department.   They said they would send me a ‘medical form’ but that I had to wait for that to turn up because it “had to come from England”.  The whole thing is beyond a joke really.   I’ll keep you in in touch with what happens.  I can get pretty Bolshie when it suits, and I’m determined to chase this down.  Just a case of the more I thought about it, the angrier I got.  

I’m not sure getting angry will help. Just make you feel worse. Console yourself with the thought that, thank goodness, their ships are much better than their shoreside.

8 hours ago, lahore said:

Surely you were given an online  medical form to fill in when you booked? 

• Like 1

I  don't know about Australian law ,  but under British consumer law a verbal commitment over phone is a binding  contract.  This holds even if the agent is not authorised to make commitment,  as they are an agent.  As all calls  are digitally recorded, again you have a legal right to ask for a transcript of the call. 

I know this is true in UK , because they tried to back out on a discount an agent offered over phone,  but when I asked for transcript of the call they quickly relented.

If AUSTRALIA law entitled you to ask for transcript of the call,  then ring them up tell them date and time of call , should be linked to your cruise and ask for one.

I'm not sure who has been remiss here.

Unless t&cs are different in the rest of the world, when making a booking, any reduced mobility issues have to be declared on booking  in order for the company to decide if the cabin being booked is satisfactory for the condition described. An accessibility and medical questionnaire is to be filled out with confirmation of devices and other info so that the cabin booked matches the passenger requirements.

If this was followed at booking, then Cunard has been remiss in allowing the booking to stand. If however, nothing was mentioned about possible reduced mobility [occasional use of a travel scooter] at the time of  booking, then I don't see it being a Cunard fault in not allowing a scooter to be stored in the cabin, as per their T&Cs.

16 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I’m not sure getting angry will help. Just make you feel worse. Console yourself with the thought that, thank goodness, their ships are much better than their shoreside.

I hope so, they would need to be.

15 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Surely you were given an online  medical form to fill in when you booked? 

No, I was not.  I booked online through the Cunard website from Australia.   

12 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I  don't know about Australian law ,  but under British consumer law a verbal commitment over phone is a binding  contract.  This holds even if the agent is not authorised to make commitment,  as they are an agent.  As all calls  are digitally recorded, again you have a legal right to ask for a transcript of the call. 

I know this is true in UK , because they tried to back out on a discount an agent offered over phone,  but when I asked for transcript of the call they quickly relented.

If AUSTRALIA law entitled you to ask for transcript of the call,  then ring them up tell them date and time of call , should be linked to your cruise and ask for one.

Certainly a verbal commitment can constitute a contract under Common Law, but the recorded message says “some calls may be recorded…” and this was a call centre in the Phillipines so I don’t like my chances. In any case, I’m certainly not going to try to do that at check in, which is the only place that this is likely to be an issue.   

7 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I'm not sure who has been remiss here.

Unless t&cs are different in the rest of the world, when making a booking, any reduced mobility issues have to be declared on booking  in order for the company to decide if the cabin being booked is satisfactory for the condition described. An accessibility and medical questionnaire is to be filled out with confirmation of devices and other info so that the cabin booked matches the passenger requirements.

If this was followed at booking, then Cunard has been remiss in allowing the booking to stand. If however, nothing was mentioned about possible reduced mobility [occasional use of a travel scooter] at the time of  booking, then I don't see it being a Cunard fault in not allowing a scooter to be stored in the cabin, as per their T&Cs.

Look, possibly I’ve been remiss in not knowing how Cunard works.  I have travelled numerous other lines and never had this issue in any way.  As I said initially, it never entered my head that a folding travel scooter would not be allowed in your cabin: whatever their policy is that seems inexplicable to me.

I bought a last minute guarantee cabin, so I didn’t choose ‘accessibility’ and I do not consider my severe osteoarthritis to require a medical declaration.  I can get by without the scooter and I may decide to do so in this instance.  Cunard’s T&C’s are evidently inconsistent as their website says one thing and their call centre says something entirely different, so to that extent at least they are remiss.  Also, and far more importantly, why on earth would a company want to make life more difficult for someone with a disability?  

One becomes used to a mobility device being accepted as necessary in the developed world and the owner taken at their word and treated like an intelligent human being.  I take it on planes all the time, so I wouldn’t have expected a cruise ship to be a problem.  Clearly I was wrong and I will most definitely reassess any further cruises with Cunard based on the outcome of this debacle.

7 hours ago, lahore said:

Look, possibly I’ve been remiss in not knowing how Cunard works.  I have travelled numerous other lines and never had this issue in any way.  As I said initially, it never entered my head that a folding travel scooter would not be allowed in your cabin: whatever their policy is that seems inexplicable to me.

I bought a last minute guarantee cabin, so I didn’t choose ‘accessibility’ and I do not consider my severe osteoarthritis to require a medical declaration.  I can get by without the scooter and I may decide to do so in this instance.  Cunard’s T&C’s are evidently inconsistent as their website says one thing and their call centre says something entirely different, so to that extent at least they are remiss.  Also, and far more importantly, why on earth would a company want to make life more difficult for someone with a disability?  

One becomes used to a mobility device being accepted as necessary in the developed world and the owner taken at their word and treated like an intelligent human being.  I take it on planes all the time, so I wouldn’t have expected a cruise ship to be a problem.  Clearly I was wrong and I will most definitely reassess any further cruises with Cunard based on the outcome of this debacle.

Cunard are excellent with disabled guests but  they make it quite clear before booking, there are details to attend to first with respect to some mobility aids before that booking goes ahead. If that had been adhered to, then the 'debacle' wouldn’t have happened.

I think this is true of a few cruise lines so Cunard are not alone there. Some airlines require prior notification too when motorised accessories are involved and  an experienced traveller will be aware of this.

However, that doesn’t excuse the misinformation given on the phone and I would definitely cascade that up the customer service chain as a a complaint, either before or after your cruise as some retraining is required there

• Like 2

11 hours ago, lahore said:

Certainly a verbal commitment can constitute a contract under Common Law, but the recorded message says “some calls may be recorded…” and this was a call centre in the Phillipines so I don’t like my chances. In any case, I’m certainly not going to try to do that at check in, which is the only place that this is likely to be an issue.   

Don't wait for check in get the evidence before you turn up. If you arrive at check in and say but they ssid on phone .....   Then check in staff may say  sorry rules say ....

All calls are digitally recorded,  in all call centres , it's standard. Philippines will use same IT in call centres as in UK or Australia. 

Don't wait until check in. No harm in ringing up  NOW and asking for transcript,  which is as good as email. At same time email customer service and ask for/demand transcript. 

16 hours ago, lahore said:

@Windsurferboy. Thank you, but I already did that and as i already said, they will not send anything by email from the Phillipines.  Give it a try.  

Email  Cunard customer service and say you want a transcript of the call,  stress this is your legal right.