Isn't It Funny Cruise Ships Don't Serve Tuna Fish Salad Sandwiches......How do you like your Tuna Fish Salad Prepared....

BklynBoy8

While I was having a Tuna Fish Salad sandwich for Lunch today I was wondering why it's not offered on cruises. 

It's a traditional sandwich like a BLT served in most restaurants that are fast food and food courts and deli's.

I know that also tuna fish salad are made out of many tuna packed: Dry, Water or Oil.

I prefer tuna out of the can mixed with mayo and some chopped celery. On a toasted bread or roll. With a slice of White, Vadalia Onion.

What's your opinion?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

While I was having a Tuna Fish Salad sandwich for Lunch today I was wondering why it's not offered on cruises. 

It's a traditional sandwich like a BLT served in most restaurants that are fast food and food courts and deli's.

I know that also tuna fish salad are made out of many tuna packed: Dry, Water or Oil.

I prefer tuna out of the can mixed with mayo and some chopped celery. On a toasted bread or roll. With a slice of White, Vadalia Onion.

What's your opinion?

I haven’t seen tuna fish salad on a ships’ menu since the 1960’s…lol.  That being said I need to build up my tuna fish salad with chopped red onion and celery, sweet pickle relish, chopped vinegar peppers and black olives, mayonnaise and bread crumbs…yes…breadcrumbs!  Tuna salad can give you agita but the breadcrumbs soak up the liquid and make the tuna much more stomach friendly.  I learned the breadcrumb trick many years ago when a deli chef told me that the breadcrumbs would hold the salad together better and tone down the tuna taste.  This also makes a great tuna melt.

Julia Child always swore by tuna in oil for her tuna salad sandwiches.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 1

A few thoughts.  We used to see tuna salad at the sandwich bars on Celebrity and HAL.  But HAL eliminated their sandwich station and replaced it with pre-made sandwiches and we are not sure if they ever offer tuna.  On Princess you can sometimes find tuna sandwiches at the International Cafe during the usual lunch time hours.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Julia Child always swore by tuna in oil for her tuna salad sandwiches.

Me too.  I prefer Tuna in oil as compared to Tuna in water.  

A Tuna Salad made with chopped celery and some pickle relish with Mayo on a toasted bread of some type is what I prefer.  A Tuna Melt with Swiss Cheese is a sandwich that I really do enjoy as well.  

19 hours ago, Hlitner said:

But HAL eliminated their sandwich station and replaced it with pre-made sandwiches and we are not sure if they ever offer tuna. 

Their sandwich station had a much better variety of sandwiches than the pre-made ones and, since they could be customized by the guest, those sandwiches were even better.  I may have seen some small "tea sandwich" types made with Tuna Salad in the snack display in their Exploration Cafes.  

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

A Tuna Salad made with chopped celery and some pickle relish with Mayo on a toasted bread of some type is what I prefer.  A Tuna Melt with Swiss Cheese is a sandwich that I really do enjoy as well.  

Their sandwich station had a much better variety of sandwiches than the pre-made ones and, since they could be customized by the guest, those sandwiches were even better.  I may have seen some small "tea sandwich" types made with Tuna Salad in the snack display in their Exploration Cafes.  

So now we veer off into a different topic (HAL's sandwiches).  DW and I were big fans of their old sandwich bar where we could get all kinds of sandwiches made to our own specifications.  I used to tease the sandwich maker, when ordering a Reuben, to pile on the corn beef like a "NY Deli."  But when they switched to the pre-made (and very limited) sandwiches all that changed.  The first time we were on a HAL ship with the new pre-mades, I picked-up three of those pre-made sandwiches.  Then, at my table, I deconstructed all 3 and created one decent sandwich!  The Lido Manager stopped by my table to watch and had a good laugh (along with complementing me on my newly constructed sandwich).  He told me that that more than one HAL food supervisor had warned the "suits" that the pre-made idea would result in more waste.  

Hank

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

He told me that that more than one HAL food supervisor had warned the "suits" that the pre-made idea would result in more waste.  

There must be a course in business schools on how to ignore the advice and experience of your front line employees.  

The Panini Press was a beneficial addition to the sandwich bar.  Gone now, as far as I know.  

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

A Tuna Salad made with chopped celery and some pickle relish with Mayo on a toasted bread of some type is what I prefer.  

I prefer water as said since there is oil in Mayo.

??????? relish ??????. No way.....    Toasted Rye ok or Sandwich White....

On board I like Tuna at Tea Time with Cucumber Thinly Sliced with Crustless White Bread.... 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

??????? relish ??????. No way.....    Toasted Rye ok or Sandwich White..

Not a lot of relish; just a bit.  Agree with your bread choices and I would add a good quality Whole Wheat is a bread that I enjoy, particularly toasted.

16 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

On board I like Tuna at Tea Time with Cucumber Thinly Sliced with Crustless White Bread.... 

Love the tea sandwiches whatever the kind!  I sometimes don't eat lunch when I am on a ship just so that I can better enjoy tea.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Not a lot of relish; just a bit.  Agree with your bread choices and I would add a good quality Whole Wheat is a bread that I enjoy, particularly toasted.

Love the tea sandwiches whatever the kind!  I sometimes don't eat lunch when I am on a ship just so that I can better enjoy tea.  

Lately I been picking up dough from our Italian bakery along with my sliced scali bread with sesame seeds.  I let the dough rise in a greased covered bowl then I pound it down, gently and place it in a parchment lined bread tin.  I baste it with egg beaten with a bit of oil and bake for 35 minutes.  I put the finished loaf in a plastic bag and place in the freezer.  Once the loaf is frozen I can cut thin slices and trim the crusts making the best tea sandwiches.  I will try one with tuna a cucumber although I think crabmeat will be even better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Lately I been picking up dough from our Italian bakery along with my sliced scali bread with sesame seeds.  I let the dough rise in a greased covered bowl then I pound it down, gently and place it in a parchment lined bread tin.  I baste it with egg beaten with a bit of oil and bake for 35 minutes.  I put the finished loaf in a plastic bag and place in the freezer.  Once the loaf is frozen I can cut thin slices and trim the crusts making the best tea sandwiches.  I will try one with tuna a cucumber although I think crabmeat will be even better.

Lots of work for tea sandwiches!  My Chef, me, would object to being asked to do something like this.  Yet, your recipe sounds very good!  

38 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Lots of work for tea sandwiches!  My Chef, me, would object to being asked to do something like this.  Yet, your recipe sounds very good!  

Traditional all the way........That's what makes Tea traditional and easy to consume. Basic sandwiches were on the tray with the Champagne Tea on the Mary 2. One that was missing was Basic Egg Salad as plain as can be would have been accepted.

One of my favorite books is a special Tea Manual from Plaza Hotel I inherited. Also one from a Madison Avenue Ladies Group that was a special gift. Everything from A to Z. I can start and never put it down.

• Like 1

I buy tuna in the can in water and I think it goes back to when I was a kid.......I know we always had tuna in the house LOL😀......and now, I ALWAYS toast my  bread when I make a tuna salad sandwich. Just mayo for me.  

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

The last time I ate tuna outside of the house was in a Woolworths in 1949.

Classic Plate Sandwich with Chips, Pickle with the Professional Ladies behind the Counter in their Professional Uniform. Never, Never, Never did they give me a Potato Chip in the pile that was broken.

I can still get a sandwich like this at a Check Board Counter at the 5&10 in Cape May NJ....

Interesting........I have seen tuna salad sandwiches on RC, in Park Cafe, which has a small selection of pre-made sandwiches, and a few paninis which they will toast upon request.  They are wrapped for carrying to the pool or elsewhere, with no sides (pickles and such).

2 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

If you sail on Walmart of the Seas, you are going to get Walmart quality and service.

On my small, elegant, pricey, premium ship, we deliver any type of food you order - including tuna fish sandwiches.

And that premium ship would be???

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I recently tried tuna in oil…what a difference!  I’ll never go back to tuna packed in water.

Depends the Brand. Here in Brooklyn, we get alot of different brands from Italy.

Normal supermarket brand would but Progresso or Cena....