Tropical Disturbance off Florida Coast

rolloman

3 minutes ago, toad455 said:

You would know by tomorrow morning the latest. If you're heading north, you're going to Canada @Cruzinforpeace***

I do believe that’s where we’ll be going.  It makes sense as I doubt we’ll even dock in those southern ports. Thankfully I also packed some warm clothes.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

I wonder when they’ll tell us.  We’re on the way to the port right now.

They usually wait until the last minute to say anything.  I bet the cruises departing today or Monday won't have any announcements before the ships are at sea.

4 hours ago, mo&fran said:

Rain is not expected for Coco Cay  on Monday, but sea conditions may  affect the port call.

While Monday may be fine, consider the next port's position in relation to the approaching storm.  They may not be enough time to sail the ship away from Coco Cay and avoid the bad weather.  So as someone else said, Cozumel may be getting bonus passengers.

3 hours ago, BND said:

Ships can easily handle a tropical low.  They can easily handle a lot of hurricanes.  The issue is really passenger comfort.  Royal doesn't want a lot of seasick passengers or people to fall due to rough seas.  My DH has ridden a couple of hurricanes in a much smaller  Navy cruiser.  

It is not a fair assessment to equate the Navy to a Cruise Ship. Before a storm in the Navy we tie everything down. Sailors are physically and mentally prepared to work through a storm. Cruise ships have loose items everywhere and passengers who barely can get around the ship on a good day. By the way,  I too have been through a hurricane while onboard a Navy ship and we encountered damage.

Cruise ships are designed to handle conditions that they would never ever see on a revenue sailing.

Though that doesn't mean it won't be messy on board should a revenue sailing see rough conditions. It just means the ship itself would be in no danger.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rolloman said:

Not sure why you would say that...even the link you provided shows 25 ft waves just off the coast of Canaveral late Wednesday into Thursday. But like you said, it is now unfolding so we shall see what really develops. 

I didn't post a link nor was i disputing your information. I just couldn't find the 25' information in forecasts I had read which is why I asked you about it. Hopefully Royal will adjust your itinerary and you have nice cruises.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, rolloman said:

It is not a fair assessment to equate the Navy to a Cruise Ship. Before a storm in the Navy we tie everything down. Sailors are physically and mentally prepared to work through a storm. Cruise ships have loose items everywhere and passengers who barely can get around the ship on a good day. By the way,  I too have been through a hurricane while onboard a Navy ship and we encountered damage.

THIS is why Royal Caribbean (and other lines) will avoid storms.  

NO... this isn't a hurricane, but nonetheless, while bad weather at sea may not make the ship unsafe, the ride is not one most passengers want to experience. 

2 hours ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

I wonder when they’ll tell us.  We’re on the way to the port right now.

Tomorrow .. if you see land to your right, you're keeping you're keeping the same itinerary.   If you see land on your left, you goin to Canada.    

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, toad455 said:

this was pretty bad. Cruise shouldn't have happened.

Hardly a "disaster"

The Titanic was a disaster. The Costa Concordia was a disaster. The Andria Doria was a disaster.

Anthem got caught going around a storm that ended up  a lot bigger than was initially forecast.  No one died and the ship made it through the storm exactly how it was designed to.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, toad455 said:

Correction: no Nassau, 3 days at sea, Labadee on Wednesday(10am-6pm), then three more sea days.

Yuck. Well I hope you get some FCC, or OBC, or discount towards a future cruise for it. Honestly, if I had to spend a week on a ship in less than ideal weather conditions in order to get a 50% discount on a future cruise, I'd sign up 😂

I know it's not the trip you were looking forward to, so that part sucks. But if you get to take another cruise in the future for less money, I see that as a win.

• Like 1