Tropical Disturbance off Florida Coast

rolloman

4 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Still waiting to hear what the update will be for today's sailing of Independence of the Seas 4 nighter...

Did you take a look in the app?  On the calendar page, touch the calendar icon to display your itinerary.

2 minutes ago, rolloman said:

As of this moment the app still shows the original itinerary.  

So this is just supposition on my part...

Your closed-loop cruise is normally required to call on an international port.  For us sailing out of South Florida, RCL is able to navigate us south of the storm to hit an international port.

The storm is between your port and international stops.  So... I think they need to show intent to sail to an international port, then at sea they can alter the itinerary to give you only sea days, using the storm for an exception to the international port.

According to the local weather here in South Florida, the storm's expected track is a bit north compared to what was seen yesterday.  So chances are Independence doesn't have a course south to avoid the storm.

I hope you post and let us know what the final itinerary becomes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

So this is just supposition on my part...

Your closed-loop cruise is normally required to call on an international port.  For us sailing out of South Florida, RCL is able to navigate us south of the storm to hit an international port.

The storm is between your port and international stops.  So... I think they need to show intent to sail to an international port, then at sea they can alter the itinerary to give you only sea days, using the storm for an exception to the international port.

According to the local weather here in South Florida, the storm's expected track is a bit north compared to what was seen yesterday.  So chances are Independence doesn't have a course south to avoid the storm.

I hope you post and let us know what the final itinerary becomes.

Yes, I will try and post if and when we get the info. A couple years ago during a hurricane sailing they told us as we walked into the terminal our new itinerary and I remember the rep was actually quite rude...basically stopped us and said you are now going to xyz port...if you are not happy about it turn around and leave then call Royal for a refund. In the end it actually went from a 4 day to a 6. As for the cruise today, we will definitely leave on time and head south...as the weather starts to get iffy later tomorrow we should be well south out of the cone with an unknown destination...You could be right about just sea days but then again I personally do not have an example of that ever occurring. What also remains to be seen is whether we will be in the clear to transit back to Port Canaveral for Friday morning. 

• Like 1

It looks like almost all of Florida will be impacted.  Our local news here in South Florida is warning us that the worst for us will be Wednesday and Thursday.  Already the winds are strong here on the beach and it's only Monday. I sail on Lady G on Sunday so hopefully it will be long gone by then. 

Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 7.22.25 AM.png

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

Here are the spaghetti models -- doesn't looks like the Bahamas will get the brunt of sub-tropical storm Nicole before it heads to Florida:

Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 7.27.17 AM.png

The problem is the storm is generating tremendous waves...I doubt if it will be much of a storm in the scheme of things but the Bahamas will certainly feel those waves making their ports not worth the navigational risk. 

8 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Yes, I will try and post if and when we get the info. A couple years ago during a hurricane sailing they told us as we walked into the terminal our new itinerary and I remember the rep was actually quite rude...basically stopped us and said you are now going to xyz port...if you are not happy about it turn around and leave then call Royal for a refund. In the end it actually went from a 4 day to a 6. As for the cruise today, we will definitely leave on time and head south...as the weather starts to get iffy later tomorrow we should be well south out of the cone with an unknown destination...You could be right about just sea days but then again I personally do not have an example of that ever occurring. What also remains to be seen is whether we will be in the clear to transit back to Port Canaveral for Friday morning. 

I don't doubt you about the encounter with the rude agent, but it's surprising they'd suggest a refund.  Maybe that was pre-COVID.  I've read on here many threads discussing the carriage of contract that says they can change the ports and itinerary.  Today they want the money and not a deferral for a future cruise.

Sounds like you'll be pressed to your seatbacks as the captain throttle full speed to fly south of the storm before it gets here. 

1 minute ago, rolloman said:

The problem is the storm is generating tremendous waves...I doubt if it will be much of a storm in the scheme of things but the Bahamas will certainly feel those waves making their ports not worth the navigational risk. 

That's very true -- starting tomorrow and especially Wednesday, the Bahamas will be off limits to ships.

Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 7.35.43 AM.png

Update regarding the Independance of the Seas...as of now we are still scheduled to proceed to Nassau tomorrow from 9AM-5PM- Coco Cay has been dropped and we will have 2 sea days. They are offering full refunds or allowing you to reschedule.

Edited by rolloman
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Update regarding the Independance of the Seas...as of now we are still scheduled to proceed to Nassau tomorrow from 9AM-5PM- Coco Cay has been dropped and we will have 2 sea days. They are offering full refunds or allowing you to reschedule.

Any bonus if you stay on this sailing with the altered itinerary. 

We are on the Nov 3 sailing out of Baltimore. We stopped at Charleston and then yesterday at Port Canaveral. We left there around 7:00 heading to Nassau. Sometime during dinner there was an announcement we would miss Nassau and Coco Cay and head back to Baltimore. So we will not be stopping at a foreign port. I imagine this has all been worked out with the Government officials!😀

18 minutes ago, Fun2snorkel said:

We are on the Nov 3 sailing out of Baltimore. We stopped at Charleston and then yesterday at Port Canaveral. We left there around 7:00 heading to Nassau. Sometime during dinner there was an announcement we would miss Nassau and Coco Cay and head back to Baltimore. So we will not be stopping at a foreign port. I imagine this has all been worked out with the Government officials!😀

So are you “slowly “ sailing back to Baltimore since you’re not due back till Friday?

We are supposed to be cruising on the 11th when you return. 

weather is so unpredictable!!

56 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Any bonus if you stay on this sailing with the altered itinerary. 

None at this time…the letter they provided in the terminal makes it clear Nassau stop my be impacted and a future change may have to occur

1 hour ago, Fun2snorkel said:

Interesting they didn't try and schedule a stop in Bermuda.

29 minutes ago, toad455 said:

Interesting they didn't try and schedule a stop in Bermuda.

Hurricane is headed there too after it bounces off the east coast, 35 mph winds  there Wednesday and Thursday. Even higher gusts predicted.

Seas will be rough enough up the coast line, no sense going to Bermuda for more bad weather.

On 11/6/2022 at 8:55 AM, lcpagejr said:

Slim to none. A tropical storm this late is pretty rare unless it is a traditional Nor'Easter 

"Between 1950 and 2020, 34 named Atlantic Basin storms formed in November, 21 of which became Hurricanes. You can expect one named storm every other November, and one November Hurricane ever 3 years"   

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1