Tropical Disturbance off Florida Coast

rolloman

2 hours ago, island lady said:

We are that tiny dot in the middle of the Atlantic.  Kind of coming up behind Nicole, tugging on her skirts.  😉 

You think Wonder was getting ready for the 70s Disco Party tonight here in the middle of the Atlantic?  I hope she hangs back a bit and let’s go of Nicole’s skirts.  Nicole knocked my phone over on the table in the MDR this morning.  A little less rock and roll please!

2 hours ago, Fun2snorkel said:

We are on the Nov 3 sailing out of Baltimore. We stopped at Charleston and then yesterday at Port Canaveral. We left there around 7:00 heading to Nassau. Sometime during dinner there was an announcement we would miss Nassau and Coco Cay and head back to Baltimore. So we will not be stopping at a foreign port. I imagine this has all been worked out with the Government officials!😀

My sister and husband in this. Thought maybe they would try for Bermuda as ship had been going there. Are you just hanging out at sea or just cutting cruise short?

We are heading North and the seas have been fairly rough but manageable. Our next stop is scheduled for Baltimore but we haven’t been told if we will arrive early. I think we possibly may slow down after we get out of the rough seas but have not seen or heard any announcements. 

we are receiving OBC for 1night of our cruise fare. I haven’t seen anything about refunding Port Charges. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We’re on the Mariner sailing (hopefully) departing PC this Saturday the 12th. Fingers crossed everything goes as planned. Weather looks to be nice this weekend, just hope the sailing leaving today is able to make it back safely and on time.

We sail out of Tampa on Saturday afternoon on the Serenade of the Seas. I'm sure the boat will be ok to sail by then but I wonder if getting there is going to be an issue. We fly out Friday evening with a stop in Charlotte, NC before arriving to Tampa around midnight. 

I am on Explorer right now and we are in Coco Cay. Headed to Jamaica when we leave here later this afternoon.

A bit worried about the return trip…. We are scheduled back in port Miami on Saturday.

I’ll be onboard next week too.

Edited by ckrobyn
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Teeara said:

You think Wonder was getting ready for the 70s Disco Party tonight here in the middle of the Atlantic?  I hope she hangs back a bit and let’s go of Nicole’s skirts.  Nicole knocked my phone over on the table in the MDR this morning.  A little less rock and roll please!

hoping the captain will put the stabilizers out for you.  You have a great captain Loy as I had him on Ovation in Alaska in 2019.

And it figures storms are still brewing in early Nov when they should be easing back.

Hope the Aqua show and Ice shows still happen as they are both GREAT.

10 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

hoping the captain will put the stabilizers out for you.  You have a great captain Loy as I had him on Ovation in Alaska in 2019.

And it figures storms are still brewing in early Nov when they should be easing back.

Hope the Aqua show and Ice shows still happen as they are both GREAT.

Burns more fuel when the stabilizers are out.

3 hours ago, Fun2snorkel said:

We are heading North and the seas have been fairly rough but manageable. Our next stop is scheduled for Baltimore but we haven’t been told if we will arrive early. I think we possibly may slow down after we get out of the rough seas but have not seen or heard any announcements. 

we are receiving OBC for 1night of our cruise fare. I haven’t seen anything about refunding Port Charges. 

Sorry for the change to your cruise. Thoughts about just getting OBC for 1 night of your cruise fare for missing two ports? Perhaps RCI should have also considered a FCC

They should give reduced internet. Would love to hear from my sister who is on the Enchantment for her 65 th birthday. Hoping she is not too depressed(and didn’t get seasick). 4 days at sea? Or do they go back to Baltimore early? Wasn’t clear in itinerary updates on RCI blog. 

Our family of 6 adults is on Independence of the Seas which leaves Friday, 11/11 from Port Canaveral.  Considering Hurricane Nicole is going to prob cause issues in the middle of FL as well as the coast - I am not sure my family can fly into Orlando on 11/10.   Anyone have prior experience with something like this?

1 hour ago, KShuman said:

Our family of 6 adults is on Independence of the Seas which leaves Friday, 11/11 from Port Canaveral.  Considering Hurricane Nicole is going to prob cause issues in the middle of FL as well as the coast - I am not sure my family can fly into Orlando on 11/10.   Anyone have prior experience with something like this?

Aside from changing plans to get to Orlando earlier and potentially sit through a storm..not sure what else can be done at this point. It's a wait and see game.  There are so many moving parts that can be disrupted. We went through this with Hurricane Dorian in 2019.

3 hours ago, KShuman said:

If u r willing to head tomorrow your airline will likely waive change fees (SWA did)

We r doing that rather than risk cancellations on Friday.

Feels a bit crazy to be flying TOWARD the storm!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Teeara said:

Does not seem as rolly-polly (is that a word?)....now as it was.  Felt like we were walking uphill in the hallways...and then downhill again immediately.  😮  Either that, or we are getting our sea legs now.   At least the sun is out this morning...quite nice right now out on the balcony. 

Nicole now predicted to turn into a hurricane as it slides up Florida.  Ughh...I did not do any hurricane prep before we left.  😳

Mr. Sleepy head just getting up.  I bring him a mug of coffee each morning.  Love the nice new machine in the SL.  🙂 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Update for Indy…we got the short end of the stick…all port of calls cancelled…officially a 4 night cruise to nowhere. Royal refunding everyone 1 day of cruise fare paid. 

1 DAY!!!? That's it? I guess it's just a 4 day cruise, and maybe you just had 1 port day anyway, is that why they're just giving back 1 day? I would hope to also get some incentive to rebook another cruise in the future; 1 day refund plus 50% off a future cruise.

There are insurance policies that give you money if your cruise misses a port or changes itineraries, but I'm not sure if you can make a claim if the cruiseline has given you something for the trouble already. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler

We sail Freedom Friday and fly in that morning. Its the first time in 9 years I decided to fly in the day of, but i'm not sure we would have been able to get there any earlier. Hopefully the airports are up and running smoothly again by then. Seems the storm should be pretty far north by then. I have bought insurance for every cruise i've booked and this may be the first time i need it. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Motley said:

We sail out of Tampa on Saturday afternoon on the Serenade of the Seas. I'm sure the boat will be ok to sail by then but I wonder if getting there is going to be an issue. We fly out Friday evening with a stop in Charlotte, NC before arriving to Tampa around midnight. 

I'd look at alternative flights for back up in case of delays.   Depending on the actual directioin of the storm, it may miss Charlotte but then again may not.  If you are able to depart your originating flight, you might be ok.  

RCI, as all lines, has no control over the workings of Mother Nature.  It is not a fail in the service they are offering...it's just "act of God" type thing.  

I would think refunding port fees is a given...but refunding part, half, or all of the cruise due to a storm beyond their control?  

Ship still has costs with the food, fuel, wages, etc...etc.   Even if they miss a port.  In fact probably more cost when everyone is on the ship "eating their money's worth" (as I seem to notice in the WJ).  

I just figure..."poop happens".   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MiniChunks said:

We sail Freedom Friday and fly in that morning. Its the first time in 9 years I decided to fly in the day of, but i'm not sure we would have been able to get there any earlier. Hopefully the airports are up and running smoothly again by then. Seems the storm should be pretty far north by then. I have bought insurance for every cruise i've booked and this may be the first time i need it. 

I booked 2 flights to Miami for my Thanksgiving cruise, more-so because of the potential for winter storm cancellations than potential hurricanes, but now I'm glad I did. 

I usually fly in a day early, but this year I will either fly in 2 days early, or 3 days, depending on what the weather forecast shows for my snowy state as well as Florida's hurricane-y one. I'll make my decision the Monday before my cruise and cancel on of the flights (and one of the hotels). 

I figured this way, if it's a snowy week with a lot of flight cancellations then I'll take the earlier flight, and if that flight ends up canceled, I'll already have another flight booked as backup so I won't have to fly standby, or risk not being able to rebook until the following week (that happened to me last winter during a big snow storm and I missed a funeral).

If the weather looks good that week then I'll cancel one of the flights on Monday, depending on what my work load looks like. Having an extra 3 days in Miami before the cruise to work on my tan sounds like a good idea, but if something comes up at work then it'll just be the 2 days. 

Flying southwest has really made me non-committal and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not 😂 

• Haha 1