RCI- Deposits typically non- refundable?

nini

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Nearly all the river cruise lines are the same.

I do believe that. Of course there is also Viking for River cruises... maybe they just think they will continue that policy. Apparently many do not care and book anyway.

19 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If that had been the only reason then they would have eliminated the refundable option.

This was well discussed when it happened.

They offer refundable, but at a higher price.  So yes, you could book a number of cruises refundable and cancel all but one.  But then you pay more for the cruise.

21 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Because if you change your mind and cancel you lose nothing.

Many people book  a couple years out and dont know when school breaks will be, whether they get approved for vacation etc.  Once those details get confirmed they switch to a nrd rate.

I like to book on board as my only exposure is $100 pp cancelation fee.  In addition, I get $100 or more in OBCs.

I did not realize that one can switch from a refundable to a NR deposit.

Edited by nelblu

4 minutes ago, nelblu said:

I like to book on board as my only exposure is $100 pp cancelation fee.  In addition, I get $100 or more in OBCs.

The biggest downfall to that for many is that with group rates being lower and refundable they don't save anything by booking on board.  If they booked on board and then moved into the group theyy have to up their deposit to get the lower group rate and their booking still stays non refundable and then they don't benefit from a lower deposit.  Plus the group offers obc so there isn't any real advantage for those booking into groups, and if they are booking an inside or Oceanview or not using a balcony discount they are actually losing some extra early booking obc by not booking directly into the group.  

For suites that are non refundable to start the next cruise certs are good.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You can, though it may not yield any savings.

Yes and no, but the biggest advantage it seems to provide protection if you need to cancel therefore, receive the full deposit.

Wow!  I was under impression that once you opt for a refundable deposit that you are locked in.   If one can change then it provides sufficient flexibility going forward whether to proceed or cancel and not incur any fees, if my understanding is correct.  Is there a time period that you are not able to convert.

3 minutes ago, nelblu said:

That's what I thought and thanks for the clarification.   

To be clear if you switch to non refundable you will pay what the NRD rate is on the day that you switch (has to be before final payment date) NOT what the non refundable rate was on the day that you booked.

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

To be clear if you switch to non refundable you will pay what the NRD rate is on the day that you switch (has to be before final payment date) NOT what the non refundable rate was on the day that you booked.

I fully understand.  I seem to remember that when Royal introduced the NR deposit, they offered OBCs.

Edited by nelblu

I book refundable, and I check for price drops daily (I saved around $600 getting multiple price drops). The non-refundable rate was always around $125 lower than the refundable rate until about 4 months before the cruise, at which point the refundable and non-refundable rates went much higher than the refundable rate I had locked in.

I never switched mine to non-refundable because I wanted to make sure there was as little chance as possible that I would need to cancel (meaning I wanted to wait until the last minute to commit myself just in case something came up). But by the time my final payment date came, the prices were all higher than my refundable rate. 

At most I would have saved an additional $125-ish dollars if I had switched it to non refundable when I had the chance but honestly, it wouldn't have been worth switching so soon and giving up my flexibility to cancel for just $125. If it had been $400 or $500, I would have done it. 

• Like 1

I haven’t been able to find aTA with group rates so still looking……

We book on board whenever we can so there’s less to lose if our plans change.  We did book Australia as refundable for 2 reasons.  It was 18 months out and because they were all over 10 days they had $900 deposits which would be a lot to lose. B3B.  Because we booked ocean views there was very little difference in cost to book refundable.  The prices have gone way up now.  

As for Viking it’s crazy how they want full payment 18 months in advance.  We simply wait to book with them until about 4-6 months out.  We may not get the best choice of cabins but usually there’s something left.  It’s just too much money to tie up for that long.  Their grand and world cruises do sell out.  We only use for them for unique itineraries.  Royal is so much less expansive. 

On 11/8/2022 at 8:14 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

You can still change ship and sail date for a $100pp fee. 

@Ourusualbeach does this work after final payment?  We booked May 31st and have paid final for our December sailing. It turns out that Owen might have a hockey tournament January 6, 7, 8th but they have to win the one in early December first. 

9 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

@Ourusualbeach does this work after final payment?  We booked May 31st and have paid final for our December sailing. It turns out that Owen might have a hockey tournament January 6, 7, 8th but they have to win the one in early December first. 

Only before final unfortunately.

After final it is whatever penalty stage you are in.

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Only before final unfortunately.

After final it is whatever penalty stage you are in.

That’s what I was seeing from looking. I have to say I’m not liking Silver Stick at this moment. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 8:14 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

You can still change ship and sail date for a $100pp fee. 

Are you sure about this? They used to have that in writing about cancellations, but I can't find it anywhere now. It just says non-refundable. We are thinking of booking a suite on Harmony next year, but don't want to risk the full $500. I don't see anywhere on the website that states there is a $100 pp fee and the rest gets transferred to a new booking. Also, wondering if you book a suite onboard, how much is the deposit?

10 minutes ago, Peachy59 said:

Are you sure about this? They used to have that in writing about cancellations, but I can't find it anywhere now. It just says non-refundable. We are thinking of booking a suite on Harmony next year, but don't want to risk the full $500. I don't see anywhere on the website that states there is a $100 pp fee and the rest gets transferred to a new booking. Also, wondering if you book a suite onboard, how much is the deposit?

100% certain.

GS and above pay full deposit.  Star class is now $600 pp deposit